The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Dashaque

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to give you all a bit of insight into episode 100 since it seems you all enjoyed it so much ^_^
This info was at a panel at MLP-MSP

1.  First off and foremost, yes Derpy's official name is now Muffins.  It's so official that even though her name is never said, Hasbro had Larson go back and rewrite every instance of her name

2.  Amy Keating Rogers was the original writer for the script, but there were scheduling conflicts and she ended up getting switched with Larson for this one.

3.  Larson didn't actually want to be the one to write this episode but he did amazing with it.  

4.  Apparently Vinyl doesn't talk on the show.  In early versions of the script, she had lines but they were removed because... she doesn't talk (we weren't given a reason for this)

5.  The episode was originally just a few brony shoutouts and then they just decided to go big with it.

6.  The info that really floored me was that HASBRO was the one pushing the episode and telling DHX to add more brony stuff (so if anyone out there is complaining about too much fan service, it's actually Hasbro's fault)

7.  Early scripts didn't center around the wedding and the Vinyl and Octavia story was about Vinyl crashing at Octavia's and wrecking her couch, and going to buy a new couch for her (riveting!)

8.  Bonbon being a secret agent is an allusion to her various voices and appearances.

9.  Many scenes were cut including (but not limited to because I don't remember them all)
  • When Derpy said, "I feel just awful, doc!" the scene was going to pan out and instead of Doctor Whooves it was going to be Doc... someone else I can't remember the name  :( I suck... but Derpy would have said, "Oh sorry wrong table" and moved to Doctor Whooves
  • Doctor Whooves traumatic childhood event was going to be that he could never figure out how bowling worked
  • When Doctor Whooves was running up to Rarity's, Opal was going to be sitting on Tom and he was going to say, "Hello Opal and Tom, you're doing well" (or something to that effect)
  • A scene where a group of background ponies walk by, then recolors of the same group walk by them and they stand there for a moment and say, "This is awkward"
  • At one point Flash Sentry would be walking behind Cranky saying something along the lines of, "I did this for you and that for you and washed your car and you still don't like me... why doesn't anyone like me?"
  • After Luna and Celestia began fighting it was going to pan to outside where some of Celesitia's guards and Luna's bat guards would be doing impressions of them (this was Larson's favorite scene that got removed)
  • The original ending had a changling swarm heading for ponyvillie, but they opted to go with one changling in the audience at the wedding instead
  • The Bugbear was just a simple bear at first, until someone suggested it be a panda as a reference to “they’re throwing pandas at us”
    “they’re throwing pandas at us”
  • Gummy was scripted to have a French accent, dunno why they didn’t go with it.
Here's the video btw.  It's all very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJoTjeyqmA

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
4. Apparently Vinyl doesn't talk on the show. In early versions of the script, she had lines but they were removed because... she doesn't talk (we weren't given a reason for this)
From what I heard (and I cannot guarantee if this is true or not) they tried to hire Nowacking who has done an amazing job as a voice for Vinyl in fan videos such as this one, but Nowacking refused since the conditions of the contract would have prohibited future participation in fan projects.

Dashaque

• Ruby
    • View Profile
i never heard of that ... I know her .. well kinda, but yeah never heard about that...

they could have hired someone who sounded like her... but yeah idk, she just doesn't talk for now :p

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dashaque,Jul 10 2015 on  12:47 AM
i never heard of that ... I know her .. well kinda, but yeah never heard about that...

they could have hired someone who sounded like her... but yeah idk, she just doesn't talk for now :p
It's not Vinyl if i's not Nowacking doing the voice. I prefer Vinyl remains a mute since they can't get Nowacking.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sunday, everyone!  Sunday is the day I shall be catching up once and for all.  I've put it off long enough.

Anyways, here's the streams leading up to tomorrow's episode.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/07/live...ding-up-to.html

Ah, The LEGO Movie.  Wish I didn't have work so I could see it.  Pokemon is the only other thing I will watch.

See ya tomorrow for the Live Stream Post! :wave

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
So I take it no one's going to answer my question.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as whiny but it seems like every time I ask a question/try to start a conversation on this topic I get blown off.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Jul 10 2015 on  11:37 AM
So I take it no one's going to answer my question.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as whiny but it seems like every time I ask a question/try to start a conversation on this topic I get blown off.
^"Amending Fences" is, I think, derived from the expression "Mending Fences" "Building Bridges", those kind of things. It basically means that twilight is going to "AMEND" her relationships with her friends from Canterlot. When someone says, "Let's mend the fence" or something, it means that they're going to mend the relationship or fix the problem.

I hope this helped. :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Huh. That makes sense. I've never heard anyone say "Let's mend the fence" so this didn't make much sense to me. Thanks, and again, sorry if I seemed whiny in my last post.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Double post but I just found some stuff regarding the second half of season five and season six http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/07/sdcc...oints.html#more

Some noteworthy reveals

Fluttershy has a brother. We will see him soon!

Apple Family stuff on the way, with Hearthswarming Eve episode on the way for it.

New character coming: Orchard Blossom. Meghan thinks shes hilarious

Some Q & A stuff

Q: Why can't vinyl speak?
A: She speaks through her music. Maybe she chooses not to speak. They like her as the pony of no words, because it makes her cooler

Q: Are there going to be more comics in season 6?
A: As long as people keep buyin them!

Q: What season are the CMC Getting their cutie marks?
A: When they deserve them. They asked if they want them to get their marks, and all the kids said yes.

There's more stuff provided on the link, including the return of a certain villain. I'm glad to hear that the comics will continue and I hope that sooner or later, the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally do get their cutie marks. The part about Fluttershy having a brother sounds rather interesting. How much you want to bet he'll be the exact opposite of his sister?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For those who haven't heard the news yet, today's episode marks a "mid-season finale". The rest of season 5 won't air until later this year (most likely after the upcoming 3rd Equestria Girls movie in a few months).

I have to admit though, they picked a good episode to end this first half of season 5 with. Apparently, Princess Luna still feels very ashamed of what she did as Nightmare Moon. Since much of this episode takes place during dreams, there were sure to be a lot of crazy and funny things (such as Rainbow Dash's idea of a nightmare :lol: ). And then things started going insane with that mega dream, with what I'd consider a level of fan-service that's second only to Slice of Life. Overall, an epic episode worthy of its place as a finale of sorts.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have an urgent request to all users who are posting information about future or still rather current episodes or seasons etc. In this thread there are many posts which contain severe spoilers which may kill some of the fun for other bronies who would like to view new episodes etc. without any previous clue on what they will have to expect. There are some people who don't mind reading spoilers beforehand (and that's fine :)) but there are others for whom it is a severa annoyance to be subjected to spoilers which they would have rather avoided before watching an episode or whatever for themselves.
For that reason I ask everyone who posts information that could include spoilers to give a proper alert beforefand. If you post spoilers, please do it in the following format of a spoiler warning followed by some blank lines so people don't read it accidentally. Please observe the same formating if you are quoting from preceeding messages with the quote including spoilers:

SPOILER ALERT

[insert spoiler here]

In case your message is mixed of spoiler and non-spoiler information, please write the non-spoiler information before the spoiler as there is a high risk of it going unnoticed by people who want to avoid spoilers if it is put after the spoiler section. I know other forums have spoiler windows which open up only if klicked, but sadly the GOF doesn't have that fancy feature, so we must make do with the alternative described above.
In case you read information that includes spoilers on other sites, please do not copy paste that text here. Instead post a link to the page here with the note that the page the linke refers to includes spoilers.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe different colored text so some can skip past it.

Overall I did like the episode.  It was fun to watch and had some humorous and funny scenes.  And I do understand about Spoilers.  With MLP:FIM I prefer, like happened to me with this episode.  I went into it not knowing anything about it, not even the episode title.  That is always the best, I think.

I do wonder how long we have to wait till the next episode.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for not minding the issue of spoilers. :(  I guess that with so many people watching a new episode right on the day it airs, I had simply gotten used to thinking that it was unnecessary. From now on, what I'll do is post spoilers in black text, since this site has a dark background. People who don't want to see them won't be able to, and those who do want to see then will just need to highlight the text. This sentence is a test of the method I just described. Would that be okay with everyone?

Edit: Well, that didn't work. I'm certain I've seen people do it here before, so could someone please tell me how to do it properly?

Edit 2: Thanks, Malte. Now it's working. :)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I'm going to give a short review for each episode.

Note:  Will edit post as I go!

Season 5 Episode 10 - Princess Spike - Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still bad.

Season 5 Episode 11 - Party Pooped - Very enjoyable and quite funny!  One of Pinkie's Best Episodes!

Season 5 Episode 12 - Amending Fences - Very well done sad episode.  Has a happy ending, but ended up breaking my heart at some points. :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you all very much :)
Coloring the text is a good idea :yes
I had to do some testing myself to figure out how it works properly the closing tag looks just like this [/color] without the color being named. That way it works, let me test again if it works with black:
Yes, it works.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
and choosing a black color is great.  Those who don't want spoilers can easily not see them.  Those that want to see them can, so best of both worlds.    :yes

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
My, that sure was amazing! Quite an improvement over Sonneborn's previous chapters. There are lots of good things to talk about this episode. It seems like a thousand years of imprisonment in the moon wasn't enough for Luna to bear, which led to the creation of the Tantabus, so she could punish herself for all the evil she committed as Nightmare Moon. This makes her one of the most complex characters in the show. And each time she felt down and guilty, we all wanted to reach throughout the screen and give her a great hug. No doubt about it.
The dream sequences are very brilliant too and some are quite hilarious, even if they become nightmares (like RD's, a truly funny take that against overly cute child's programming) But the best sequence is indeed the climatic dream battle against the Tantabus involving ALL of Ponyville. Lots of awesome stuff! (Princess Big Mac, Flutterbat, Giant Derpy...)
The Tantabus itself is a very threatening and effective villain, and has a cool design to booth. Specially when it becomes a giant monstrous, pony-shaped creature. It's like an alicorn version of the Forest Spirit of Princess Mononoke. Quite Lovecraftian, and a formidable mid season boss. Totally loved this episode.
It's quite a shame we have to go through another hiatus, but it'll hopefully be less tedious this time.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm pretty late in sharing my thoughts on this episode. Ponyception. It's a pony within a pony.

First I have to ask why we're getting a mini hiatus in between the first and second halves of the season? They never did this with previous seasons of pone. I know season three had mini hiatuses in between episodes but that was usually just a week in between.

Anyway, this was a really fun episode. Some great character development for Princess Luna and it's neat getting to see the mane six's nightmares (Rainbow Dash's was by far the scariest. Brrr). I also liked how all of Ponyville had a hand in stopping the tantabus. Some of the dreams the other ponies have are quite hilarious and for some (Scootaloo for instance) pretty heartwarming.

The tantabus was a pretty cool and surprisingly threatening villain. I was surprised that a one shot villain managed to be so dangerous. Usually the one shot villains were either ridiculously incompetent (the diamond dogs) or acting sorely on instinct (the parasprites). Also, on a final note, Big Mac is best princess! Sorry Luna but that title's been given to another.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Jul 15 2015 on  11:31 PM
First I have to ask why we're getting a mini hiatus in between the first and second halves of the season? They never did this with previous seasons of pone. I know season three had mini hiatuses in between episodes but that was usually just a week in between.
A leaked episode list shows that an upcoming episode is called Scare-Master, which is a Halloween Episode, and they don't want to do things out of order.

Some predict that the TV-airing of the new Equestria Girls Movie, Friendship Games, will mark the end of the hiatus.  The movie is set to air on September 26th and will go straight to DVD and Blu-Ray on October 13th.  So around that is the predicted time it will end.

Remember, this is all speculation though.  We'll see. :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, we got a Halloween episode coming? I only skimmed through the list and didn't see that there was a Halloween episode in there. Thanks for clearing that up, Pokeplayer.

It's too bad the new Equestria Girls won't be theatrical. Then again, I didn't get to see the first one or Rainbow Rocks when they were in theaters so I guess it doesn't really matter to me anyway. Which reminds me, I need to watch Rainbow Rocks again. I still haven't done a review of it on my DA journal.

EDIT: I just noticed I got the 5,200th post on here! Nice!