The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It is only today that I finally got the chance to see those three Equestria Girls specials, now that they're available in English. However, just like with the early release episodes, I'll save my reviews on each of them for after their official premier in the US.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I still need to watch them hopefully tonight I'll check them out

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Jun 13 2017 on  11:19 PM
You know, I actually don't mind the Equestria Girls specials, though they do tend to be the generic highschool plotlines, which I really don't like as it creates the misconception that highschool drama is actually important in the minds of impressionable viewers :lol
Kidding! They're fun and goofy. But also very confusing- why does everyone in the human world have weird colored skin and pony names? Do they still have cutie marks? (My theory is that they do- on their butts, obviously.) Why can only the main characters transform into weird pony anthros when all of the characters technically have pony counterparts in Equestria? So, it is a very weird show that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's still fun to watch and I like the fact that it's connected to the main show through some alternate dimension weirdness :smile
I've got some time to spare today, so I'll take this opportunity to explain some of these things.

Have you seen any of the four Equestria Girls movies that came out over the last few years? (There was one per year from 2013 to 2016 (with most fans agreeing that the very first one was the worst of the series).) If not, then perhaps seeing them might answer some questions you might have gotten from seeing just the three specials of this year. Long story short, the Equestria Girls world is essentially a parallel dimension to Equestria, which means there are a lot of similarities between the two worlds, with the obvious main difference being that they're magical ponies in Equestria and regular humans with modern technology in the other world. However, due to events in the movies, Equestrian magic is starting to leak into the human world, which is why only the main characters have gained magical abilities (so far).

As for why these people look like the way that do, I'm not sure about cutie marks on their bodies, but many of them do typically wear some clothing that has their special symbol displayed. Their skin colors not only make it easier to identify who their counterparts in Equestria are, but also as I once read from someone on another forum that it "neatly avoids the race issue that can so often be controversial".

Personally, the reason why I'm such a huge fan of Equestria Girls is that while I like the main pony series just fine, I'm especially fascinated to see (similar counterparts to) the characters we all know and love going through life in a modern human society that we're all familiar with. Plus, the fact that it's built around the concept of parallel universes also tends to grab my attention quite a bit.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Can't agree more I was skeptical at first but the Equestria Girls has slowly grown on me. I liked the songs a lot they're very catchy and good. I like the learning about them in the real world it's a nice touch in my opinion.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Quote from: The Chronicler,Jun 15 2017 on  07:45 PM
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Jun 13 2017 on  11:19 PM
You know, I actually don't mind the Equestria Girls specials, though they do tend to be the generic highschool plotlines, which I really don't like as it creates the misconception that highschool drama is actually important in the minds of impressionable viewers :lol
Kidding! They're fun and goofy. But also very confusing- why does everyone in the human world have weird colored skin and pony names? Do they still have cutie marks? (My theory is that they do- on their butts, obviously.) Why can only the main characters transform into weird pony anthros when all of the characters technically have pony counterparts in Equestria? So, it is a very weird show that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's still fun to watch and I like the fact that it's connected to the main show through some alternate dimension weirdness :smile
I've got some time to spare today, so I'll take this opportunity to explain some of these things.

Have you seen any of the four Equestria Girls movies that came out over the last few years? (There was one per year from 2013 to 2016 (with most fans agreeing that the very first one was the worst of the series).) If not, then perhaps seeing them might answer some questions you might have gotten from seeing just the three specials of this year. Long story short, the Equestria Girls world is essentially a parallel dimension to Equestria, which means there are a lot of similarities between the two worlds, with the obvious main difference being that they're magical ponies in Equestria and regular humans with modern technology in the other world. However, due to events in the movies, Equestrian magic is starting to leak into the human world, which is why only the main characters have gained magical abilities (so far).

As for why these people look like the way that do, I'm not sure about cutie marks on their bodies, but many of them do typically wear some clothing that has their special symbol displayed. Their skin colors not only make it easier to identify who their counterparts in Equestria are, but also as I once read from someone on another forum that it "neatly avoids the race issue that can so often be controversial".

Personally, the reason why I'm such a huge fan of Equestria Girls is that while I like the main pony series just fine, I'm especially fascinated to see (similar counterparts to) the characters we all know and love going through life in a modern human society that we're all familiar with. Plus, the fact that it's built around the concept of parallel universes also tends to grab my attention quite a bit.
Yes, I've actually seen all of the movies, and my questions still stand (though they were more asked as a jest). I understand that the main characters have to be special, and that their transformations have a lot to do with the first movie, but it still seems very weird to me that the magic turned them into pony anthros... specifically first movie Twilight and post first movie Sunset, since they are technically equestria natives. This also raises the question, where is Sunset's counterpart (unless they explained this and I don't remember)? I feel like that could cause problems in the future.

The skin thing is still weird to me (though I have heard the race argument, and it also helps keep the characters more recognizable), and I still stand by my cutie-mark theory :lol
All of those questions were in good nature, though- I don't expect them to be answered, and they aren't things that bother me about the series. And, like I said, I love the alternate dimension aspect :smile

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The EqG specials were pretty good. The third could've used a second part though.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Well, here we are with another new episode in the US.  Before I post the next summary, it seems all but confirmed that next week, while we have the EQG special episodes, Australia will be airing the newest episodes of the show.

I fear this will sadly divide the fandom again between those who saw them early and those who wanted to wait.  Considering one of the episodes, this won't be pretty.

Anyways, on to the summary.

-------------
Title: Not Asking for Trouble

Summary: Pinkie Pie visits Prince Rutherford and the Yaks. While there an avalanche falls on the entire rustic village of Yakyakistan. Pinkie Pie suggests that she go to get the other ponies to help but the proud Prince and Yaks refuse.
-------------

I really don't know what to say about the episode.  Hopefully, I can get my thoughts out on Sunday.

Anyways, until tomorrow, see ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Well, time to see the yaks for those that were willing to wait.  As always, I'll be doing an online post later today and my review tomorrow.

Now, without further ado, here's the link to the live streams of the episode.

Season 7 Epiaode 11 - Not Asking For Trouble Live Streams

I'll see ya for the online post.

See ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll catch it later today. I'm looking forward to seeing it

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Before I begin, I need to correct myself on something.  Episode 12 and 13 will be airing in Australia on the 20th and 21st there respectively.  Looking at the times, this means that, if there's a live stream people in the US will see it at 10:40 PM Pacific on the 19th and 20th respectively.

Considering how late it comes for me, I may opt to just watch them the next day in the morning while eating breakfast.

Anyways, here's the online post.  Took me a little bit to track it down.

Season 7 Episode 11 - Not Asking For Trouble Dailymotion Version

Enjoy and I'll see ya all tomorrow for my review! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome thanks for the information poke I'll be looking forward to seeing this one.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
The episode starts with Pinkie Pie being invited to Yakyakistan (though that's probably due to Pinkie essentially spam-mailing letters asking for the invitation until Prince Rutherford eventually gave in), to attend some festival that I have no hope of spelling properly (my best effort would be "yikslerbertfest").

Pinkie travels there (with pet gator Gummy) via balloon and arrives in time to see and partake in the main feature of the festival: smashing logs into splinters. Later, Rutherford gives Pinkie a tour of Yakyakistan by showing places like the firepit for telling stories, the food hut for eating vanilla cakes (made only from local ingredients), the sleeping hut for sleeping on straw beds, and the music hut for listening to music. After that, it's back to smashing logs, but all of their collective stomping soon triggers a massive avalanche that completely buries the entire village.

It's clear from the tone of Rutherford's voice that the avalanche was completely unexpected, but his immense pride refuses to let him acknowledge it, so he declares the avalanche a minor setback and tells the yaks to dig away all the snow. It ultimately proves to be too much to dig through, so (thanks to Pinkie's suggestion) the yaks settle on snow substitutes for everything. It soon becomes clear to Pinkie that she needs to bring her friends to help clear away the snow, but every single attempt she makes to get Rutherford to accept help gets completely rejected, and it eventually reaches a point where she is told to leave.

So Pinkie returns home, tells her friends what happened, and they all agree to go there and covertly help the yaks. They arrive at night and while the yaks sleep, they clear away the snow and restore the village back to its original condition. The yaks later awaken to see their home mysteriously back to normal and prepare to celebrate, but Rutherford catches Pinkie leaving and goes after her. Surprisingly, he's not angry and is actually pleased that Pinkie helped out anyway despite his refusal.

I think it's fair to say that this was among the better episodes for Pinkie Pie, where she recognizes what's wrong and knows exactly what to do to set things right (unlike the obnoxious and completely clueless pest she's shown as in other episodes, such as "Rock Solid Friendship" earlier this season). I'm not so sure about Rutherford saying it was completely okay to receive help without asking for it, but I'm guessing he said that only because his pride still wouldn't allow him to admit he had been wrong about anything.

(end spoilers)

Well, the US broadcasting of these episodes has now finally caught up (though it sure would stink for that to last only a few days before being messed up again, this time by Australia). Now it's on to the Equestria Girls specials for the next few weeks. As with the pony episodes, I'll wait until they've officially aired in the US before I give my reviews on each of them.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

I can see the good in this episode.  However, I cannot ignore the bad at all in this case.  Spoilers below.

Pinkie Pie isn't a problem in this episode.  Far from it, actually.  She's enjoyable every minute she's on screen and hardly flawed, if at all.  It's someone else I have a serious problem with and I'm sure you can guess who it is.  I have problems with Prince Rutherford.

It was probably the best thing he could do to invite Pinkie to Yikslurberfest. (That's the spelling from EqD.  So if I'm wrong, they're wrong.) (Note that Twilight was struggling a bit to figure out how to pronounce it.) Otherwise, he'd probably just keep getting mail-spam from Pinkie.  At least this confirms that they are official pen pals only a few minutes in the episode, which helps explain a few inconsistences that pop up when you start thinking about the Yak culture and all that.

Anyways, after being made an ambassador, (Skipping all of the paperwork that would go into it.) Pinkie heads off to Yakyakistan via hot air balloon. (I'm sure she was playing 20 thousand questions, not 20 million questions.  Makes it more realistic.) There, we get into the Yak culture.  Breaking logs with your head, listening to jive music via radio, (Just think about that for a minute and you'll see how that's NOT part of tradition, but something introduced recently.) sleeping on hay for a bed, etc.  All goes well until an avalanche buries the whole town.

This is where Prince Rutherford goes from an okay character (Mainly because he was there for exhibition into the Yak culture for the first part of the episode.) into a bad one, all because his pride won't allow him to accept help.  It's WAY too obvious that they need help getting rid of all the snow, so swallow your pride and let them help already!  It's something that drives me up a wall when characters like this are introduced.  They refuse to have their ego damaged and it makes the flaws far too easy to see.

It was a good idea for Pinkie to head back to Ponyville to ask her friends to help without permission from the Yaks.  The Yaks would never get out of it if the Mane Six didn't help.  We even have Twilight using her alicorn magic to speed up the growing of plants.  However, we now get to the ending.

After they had helped, the Mane Six start to leave, but not before being caught by Prince Rutherford, and this is where his character takes a nose dive.  Note that he doesn't once admit to being wrong.  It's done so he doesn't bruise his ego.  Come on, man!  Let your pride take a hit so you can become a better character!  Ugh, whatever!  We end with Pinkie getting a pair of Yak horns that are far too heavy for her as a gift. (Given how much she can lift, they must weigh quite a bit.)

An okay episode, but a certain main character for this episode made the lesson weak, and it wasn't Pinkie Pie.  That character alone may make me NOT want to see it again.

Well, I'll see ya in a few days for when the new episode posts in Australia.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the new episode happened and, thanks to a Twitch Stream, I was able to watch it.

I'll post the inevitable link for it tomorrow morning.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile