The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you thinking about?

Amaranthine · 1119 · 93463

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What is it about The Conversion Bureau (MLP:FiM fic) universe attracts so many f---ed up people. A good portion of TCB authors are misanthropes and some, most infamously Chatoyance, have more loose screws than the bulk fastener aisle in Home Depot (Chatoyance has actually expressed a desire for the events ofvConversion Bureau to actually happen!)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I am able to exchange my Die Hard 4.0 DVD for the other version of it, since the retailer gave me wrong information in regards to it.  All I was after was the original version of it, and they told me that the single-disk version was that....but when I got it....it wasn't, it was the uncut version, and that wasn't the version I was after.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When some of my favorite fanfics are going to be updated.  I understand how difficult it is to keep a story going when you're busy or have writer's block or both, but when a story is so well-written and intensity is building up, it gets hard to be patient sometimes ;).

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Apr 23 2012 on  10:54 PM
When some of my favorite fanfics are going to be updated.  I understand how difficult it is to keep a story going when you're busy or have writer's block or both, but when a story is so well-written and intensity is building up, it gets hard to be patient sometimes ;).
Which ones?

Writing a letter to my representative in NJ about some pro-gun laws.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^A couple of fanfics by The Oracle ("The Chronicles of the Balaur" and "Ultrasaur Helios"), "Renege III", and yours of course.  I understand your reasoning and I can continue to be patient ;).  It's just been really quiet on FF.net lately, that's all :unsure:.

And I've given up on Dark Side of the World's "Warriors of the Solar System" series.  He/they put the second season on hiatus, and then recently removed both fanfics from FF.net, despite these being his/their most popular stories on there :confused.

I haven't been writing much lately myself, but maybe I should start up again :p.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm working a bit on PokÈ Wars to get my writing going.

And I should really be studying for my Theater final which is on Tuesday.

Oh well, I can wait a bit.

-----------------------

On a side note, the well-known TCB author Chatoyance seriously creeps me out. I've seen less loose screws in the local hardware store!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Then don't read the crap that these two, AnthroLover and thelightoftruth, have posted on FF.net.  Nobody can write the s*** they write and not be seriously mentally ill :x.  And, to thelightoftruth, using the real life Angel of Death in a hatefic is just not cool <_<.

For those who don't know, the real life Angel of Death was Dr. Josef Mengele, perhaps the most notorious Nazi doctor in the time of the Holocaust.  He was responsible for the experimentation and murders of countless children, hence the reason he was dubbed the Angel of Death :neutral.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Anxious at the moment. Never voted in an actual ballot before which I need to do today. ^^;

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My brother is going to Bermuda for a week, starting tomorrow. He is going with his girlfriend and her family. Apparently, they can actually afford a vacation like this.

Not that I'm complaining or anything like that. I'll actually appreciate the peace and quiet for a week. (I'll be needing it, since I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow, and I heard that it takes a week or two to recover.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Where to get the full version (pics and other good stuff) of a PDF of Fallout Equestria. I missed the deadline for the printing of it ($80+ for a 5 volume set!?).

I'm going to simply bolt the pages together and not bother with book binding.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about standardized testing and its origins in the US. As it turns out, its origins lie with Robert Yerkes, who was a known proponent of eugenics. Wait... eugenics? One and the same. All of a sudden, standardized testing is making a LOT more sense... in a very disappointing and surprising way.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm thinking how best to turn things around and get into a new track this year. I've been stuck working for my parents after graduation, and I want to change that. Several options are on the table now (especially with no Li Fraumeni Disease to worry about, as I feel I now have a new lease on life). My boss's son could get me into the Department of Defense, as he has a lot of contacts there, so I've set things in motion with him to see if anything will come of this, though I'm not fully holding my breath either, given how many other things haven't worked out last year. :p Edit: As an update to this, he's currently got someone at the Pentagon tracking down my previous resumes now, and also is working at seeing if he can get me some near-term work at the Smithsonian! Huzzah! Fingers crossed (or claws crossed :p)! :DD

Second, President Obama has put into initiative a hiring program for new grads that will go into effect during the summer, though there's a limit of having to be two years max out of school, and I'm already a year and a half, so hopefully bureaucracy won't muddle this and bog it down. :p It'll definitely be a good way into the Fed though, with a 2 year mentorship and transition into a more permanent position, so I'm REALLY hoping this helps me out.

Finally, although I'm not sure I'd be ready (or want) to go to grad school at this point, I'm thinking I'd enjoy it if I could get my Master's overseas. Just get away for two years and apply myself. One of the places I've been giving serious thought to is the University of Cape Town in South Africa. It's English speaking, and I've always wanted to visit the Cape. Prices are way cheaper than here too, though I'd still probably a need a bit of financial aid or a scholarship. I could major in International Relations, to further my career goals of entering the Foreign Service someday. It'll require some thought, as it's a big move and I might not be making any income during my time there, but I have until October 31st to apply for the fall semester (seasons are reversed down there).

Yeah... just some of my inner musings and thoughts that I figured I'd write down...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jul 11 2012 on  01:22 PM
I'm thinking how best to turn things around and get into a new track this year. I've been stuck working for my parents after graduation, and I want to change that. Several options are on the table now (especially with no Li Fraumeni Disease to worry about, as I feel I now have a new lease on life). My boss's son could get me into the Department of Defense, as he has a lot of contacts there, so I've set things in motion with him to see if anything will come of this, though I'm not fully holding my breath either, given how many other things haven't worked out last year. :p Edit: As an update to this, he's currently got someone at the Pentagon tracking down my previous resumes now, and also is working at seeing if he can get me some near-term work at the Smithsonian! Huzzah! Fingers crossed (or claws crossed :p)! :DD

Second, President Obama has put into initiative a hiring program for new grads that will go into effect during the summer, though there's a limit of having to be two years max out of school, and I'm already a year and a half, so hopefully bureaucracy won't muddle this and bog it down. :p It'll definitely be a good way into the Fed though, with a 2 year mentorship and transition into a more permanent position, so I'm REALLY hoping this helps me out.

Finally, although I'm not sure I'd be ready (or want) to go to grad school at this point, I'm thinking I'd enjoy it if I could get my Master's overseas. Just get away for two years and apply myself. One of the places I've been giving serious thought to is the University of Cape Town in South Africa. It's English speaking, and I've always wanted to visit the Cape. Prices are way cheaper than here too, though I'd still probably a need a bit of financial aid or a scholarship. I could major in International Relations, to further my career goals of entering the Foreign Service someday. It'll require some thought, as it's a big move and I might not be making any income during my time there, but I have until October 31st to apply for the fall semester (seasons are reversed down there).

Yeah... just some of my inner musings and thoughts that I figured I'd write down...
That sounds fantastic! One thing I know about cape town is that it's home to table mountain. :DD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to college for two days. It's to see what my course is going to be like. But I'm a bit nervous about it and I don't know why... :! Anyway I can't wait till it's over. :DD

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I just found out my exam results for my first year of university, and I feel pretty good. Got a First in Genetics which is my favourite topic, and an Upper Second in everything else, so I did fairly well.

But now I have a week to decide whether or not I want to transfer University, since I got the required grades.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
About how much I hate my calculus class; it's killed the vast majority of my summer.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about how I can't help but notice that July 20th seems to be a rather significant day for a number of things. I'm not talking about just the first Moon landing in 1969. There was also that attempt by a group of Germans to assassinate Hitler in 1944. This year, that day is marked by the tragic shooting in a Colorado movie theater.

Closer to us, July 20th also happens to be the birthday of two notable GoF members (landbeforetimelover and action9000)

Also on July 20th, the Bionicle forum, Bzpower.com, first came online in 2001.

Interesting how so many anniversaries, both the historically notable and the personal, seem to take place on one particular day of the year. :blink:

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
When I looked at a list of baby names, I had this thought:

If my future wife insists on naming our daughter "Charity", "Chastity", "Prudence" or any other virtue name, I will name my daughter "Rarity" or "Celestia" just to spite her.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How my my voice and lung capacity compares to that of Mac (who's a choir singer).

Our lung capacities and sheer power of our voices are pretty close (I'm a former cross country runner).

Well, here's a visual aid:

My voice:

This is a 600 HP diesel engine designed for 18-wheelers.

Mac's voice:

This is 600 HP Ferrari engine.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about next year, and what I can do to change things around. Despite my initial reservations about this, I'm feeling a bit more confident about grad school, and I think I'm going to take the GREs sometime in the earlier half of next year, and then apply to FSU for fall semester. If I can get a certain fellowship there, I can essentially get my Master's in Napoleonic history for free (and get a stipend to study abroad somewhere). This of course will probably mean I'll be limited to just becoming a professor, but at this rate, with the economy going as it is, I feel a change of SOME kind is necessary in my life, as I really feel like a change of scenery is in order. I've got relatives down in Tallahassee who could put me up so I wouldn't have to worry about housing.

Of course, I also intend to PASS the FSOT this time as well, and if I pass that, I have every intention of dominating the oral interview that follows. I went ahead and registered, and scheduling should be going out in May as always.  

A distant third option (not as easily funded) would be to go to Johns Hopkins for International Relations or History, as I live pretty close by and they are 9th best in the country in terms of history programs. This one though I may not be able to fund as easily as the FSU choice.

Now grad school means my income will drop, but that's something I'll have to live with for the next year or two until I get my Master's. I've at least built up enough to survive for a few years, so it's just something I've been weighing out as well.

Yeah this next year could be bringing some changes, and they're all things I don't want to think about lightly at all. At least I get a much needed week off from work this coming week, and can use it to start making some more solid plans and getting things situated for 2013.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
As I'm watching The King's Speech (awesoooooome movie), I'm wondering if George, Duke of Wales, had some form of Asperger's. Might want to look into that.

His behavior on top of his stammer seems very much like it