The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Pangaea

Pangaea · 530 · 44786

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Helllllooooo good sir,
How are you these days?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I’m so sorry to all of you for taking so long to answer your questions. :( :slap :bang :oops What in the world has happened to me, huh? I used to love answering questions… :neutral

Quote from: Serris,Oct 18 2011 on  12:26 AM
Have you given up on Twilight Valley?
"Given up" as in stopped reading it? Well…I think it’s time I confessed something (please don’t be offended!): as LBT fanfictions go, Twilight Valley isn’t one I like that much. That’s certainly not to say that it’s a bad fanficóon the contrary, I’m very impressed by the amount of work and detail you’ve put into it, and I love how you’ve used your knowledge of medicine, weaponry, and military organization in the story to make it realistic and believableóbut LBT war fics just aren’t my thing, I’m afraid. To tell you the truth, I am only reading and reviewing the story because you asked me to (I’m sorry, I hate how that sounds :bang). I know it was one of the stories I cited when you asked me which LBT fanfictions I had read way back when on this very thread (though it’s worth noting that those were fanfics I had seen, not necessarily ones I liked). Back when I first read it, you see, I was at the height of my LBT obsession, in a veritable feeding frenzy for fresh LBT material. I had already seen all of the movies and available TV episodes, and so fanfics were all I had left to satisfy my obsession. I read a wide range of LBT stories in that time (most of which I listed in the afore-linked post), and yours happened to be one of them. And although it wasn’t my favorite fanfiction, you seemed to want feedback on it so badly that I didn’t want to say no when you requested me to review it. :oops

I can still continue to review Twilight Valley once you get it going again, if you still want me too. I did make a start on writing a review for the last chapter you posted, but like so many other projects of mine it sort of fell by the wayside as I slipped into my current rut. It’s one of the things I hope to complete soon now that I’m back on the GOF.

Quote from: The Chronicler,Jan 15 2012 on  07:45 PM
A while ago, you said you were working on a massive post about Ruby. Have you made any progress on it yet? How much longer do you think it will take for you to finish it?

Since I'm here, I'd also like to ask if you've read the latest chapter of my fanfic, which I consider to be even better than the previous one.
To answer your first question, no, I'm sorry, I have not. :( I'm pretty sure it's been well over a year since I last even opened the document in which I was writing that post. Sadly, I cannot guarantee that I will ever finish it. :cry If I do, it probably won't be until after I've caught up on all of the things I still have to do for other members on the GOF. At the very least, I should be clearer of mind and more capable of writing it once I've gotten everything else out of the way.

As for your second question, I think by now you know that I've read the chapter you were referring to. :p I have not, however, gotten around to reading the new chapter you've posted since then. :oops So much to do…

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Mar 22 2012 on  03:07 PM
Helllllooooo good sir,
How are you these days?
Not so good, I'm afraid. :( Life-wise, I haven't really been doing anything lately; no work, no volunteering, no accomplishments to speak of. I've pretty much been feeling like a worthless, futureless waste of resources with insufficient talent and willpower to do anything progressive or meaningful. I've written more on the subject here.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How was your Easter?

I know I had to cut mine short because of an exam I was studying for today, damn shame too.  Turned out I should have studied more for that exam but hindsight is always 20/20.

:angel

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if you can get together your Paleontological knowledge to answer this little question that's been bugging me. What did dinosaurs taste like?

First I's say like any other reptile, like alligator or something, but there's that little thing about them being closely related to birds. So would they actually taste like chicken then? :p

Just been woderin'.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Since you're posting more often now (As in more than once a month) You wanna try to answer my question? :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Great greasy gravy, I can't believe I've neglected my own "Ask Me" thread so badly! :bang I'm so sorry! :oops

Quote from: Caustizer,Apr 9 2012 on  03:18 PM
How was your Easter?
Fairly uneventful. Apologies to anyone reading this who values the religious aspects of Easter, but for me and my family, Easter is little more than an excuse to hunt down hand-decorated hard-boiled hen fruit and eat lots of chocolate and ham. :p

Quote from: vonboy,Sep 1 2012 on  05:39 AM
Since you're posting more often now (As in more than once a month) You wanna try to answer my question? :DD
Yes, I'm sorry. :oops I've actually been working on a (very long) response to your question for months, but like my activity on the GOF until recently, my progress on it has been sporadic. Completing it, however, was in fact on my immediate "to do" list even before you reminded me.

Quote from: vonboy,May 24 2012 on  01:13 AM
I'm wondering if you can get together your Paleontological knowledge to answer this little question that's been bugging me. What did dinosaurs taste like?

First I's say like any other reptile, like alligator or something, but there's that little thing about them being closely related to birds. So would they actually taste like chicken then? :p
Now that's a really tricky question, but also a really good one. I can say you're probably on the right track in assuming that alligator and chicken are good starting points for speculating on what dinosaurs tasted like. Pretty much any time someone poses a question about dinosaurs that could only be solidly answered by studying a flesh-and-blood dinosaur, paleontologists turn to birds and crocodilians to make inferences. This makes sense, considering birds are descended from a group of dinosaurs, and crocodilians had a close common ancestor with dinosaurs. The problem is that dinosaurs were extremely diverse, and inhabited a wide variety of niches, so there's only so much one can infer from animals that are mostly wither semiaquatic ambush predators or small-bodied, high-energy fliers. It would be like trying to figure out everything about the behavior and physiology of mammals by studying only bats and platypuses. But I digress.

According to one source I found, alligator and crocodile meat does taste something like chicken, due to the fact that they have large amounts of anaerobic, or fast-twitch, muscle fibers. Fast-twitch muscle is extremely powerful and requires little or no oxygen to function, but it tires much more quickly than aerobic, or slow-twitch, muscle. It allows for the short, sharp bursts of speed which crocodilians use to catch prey, and birds like chickens to rapidly propel themselves into the air to escape from predators. Slow-twitch muscle, by comparison, has less power output, but is good for sustained activity like endurance running or flapping flight, as well as structural support for the body. Slow-twitch muscle fibers are packed with blood vessels, myoglobin, and mitochondria, and as a result are dark in color and, when eaten, have a richer, “meatier” flavor (think beef and pork). Fast-twitch muscle fibers, on the other hand, contain mostly glycogen, and are paler. Apparently, animals with a lot of fast-twitch muscle tend to taste like chicken.

Tha ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle in an animal often correlates with the animal’s lifestyle, and what it needs those muscles for. Size is also a factor, because muscle supports and holds the body together as well as providing movement, and the larger the animal, the more muscle it needs for both of these purposes. Endurant slow-twitch muscle is best for the job of holding up a lot of weight, so larger land animals will have more slow-twitch muscle than smaller ones. It is also possible for the muscle composition of an animal to change as it grows up, so a sharptooth might describe the taste of a young dinosaur as different from an adult of the same species.

It is fairly safe to assume that since non-avian dinosaurs were generally terrestrial animals that spent most of their time walking, their legs would have contained a fairly high proportion of slow-twitch muscle. Their tails, however, may well have contained large amounts of fast-twitch muscle. Until recently, a much-overlooked feature of dinosaur anatomy was the caudofemoralis, a large slab of muscle that ran much of the length of the lower half of the tail, connecting to the thighbone via a tendon. When a dinosaur needed to get somewhere in a hurry, much of the power behind its sprint would have come not from the leg muscles, but from the caudofemoralis. It would seem likely that the highest concentration of “light meat” in a dinosaur would be in the tail.

The meat of large flightless birds like ostriches and emus tastes much like lean beef. It is plausible that the leg meat of similar-sized (50–300 lb) fast-running dinosaurs had a similar flavor. However, the tail meat of these dinosaurs may have tasted more like chicken or alligator. On a related noteóand this is pure speculation on my partóit may be that the tail meat of dinosaurs specialized for endurance running may have tasted slightly richer and beefier than that of dinosaurs adapted for high-speed sprinting.

It’s worth noting that muscle composition is just one of the variables behind the taste of a meat. The diet of the animal, the amount of fat and gristle in the meat, and even the hormones in the body can all have an influence on flavor and texture. Fat, for instance, though it doesn’t fossilize, was certainly stored by dinosaurs to sustain them over extended periods without. Some dinosaurs, such as those that lived in hot climates (which was the case for much of the world during the Mesozoic), may have concentrated their fat storage in certain areas of the body, as emus, camels, and lizards do, so as to reduce the risk of overheating. Those that lived closer to the poles, such as Pachyrhinosaurus from Alaska and Leaellynosaura from southern Australia, were perhaps fatty all over, to help with insulation. As a result, their meat may have tasted rather greasy and oily.

Meat from the smallest dinosaurs may have tasted like the “dark” meat of a chicken or turkey, due to the tendency of smaller, more active animals to have more fast-twitch muscle than larger, slower ones.

Dromaeosaurs (“raptors”) were sprinters and ambush predators that probably had a lot of fast-twitch muscle. They too might have tasted like poultry, but their carnivorous diet would have made their meat a lot more pungent.

Sauropods (“longnecks”) were enormous animals that were almost certainly very slow-moving as adults. It would be logical to assume that they would have tasted very beefy. There is evidence, however, that baby sauropods could sprint (on their hind legs, no less!) to escape predators, and they might have tasted slightly more chickeny than their elders.

Big hadrosaurs (“duckbills”), ceratopsians (horned dinosaurs), and thyreophorans (armored dinosaurs) probably all tasted beefy. None of them were especially fast runners (the armored ankylosaurs and stegosaurs, in particular, were among the slowest of dinosaurs), and they were all predominantly herbivorous, though some, like the ceratopsians, could have been omnivores. Recent discoveries of petrified hadrosaur “mummies” show that these dinosaurs were particularly meaty around the rump and tail, which likely contained muscle for both long-distance migrations and sprints of as much as 28 miles per hour (possibly enough to outrun a large tyrannosaur!), as well as perhaps fat stores to see them through lean times.

Large pterosaurs (flyers) are believed to have had mostly fast-twitch muscle tissue, to give them enough power to launch their large bodies into the air. So if Chomper ever tried chicken, there's a good chance that he would say it tastes like flyer. :p On the other hand, smaller pterosaurs that did more flapping would have had more slow-twitch muscle, and thus might have tasted more like birds that do a lot of endurance flying, like ducks. It's worth keeping in mind, however, that most known pterosaurs had diets consisting of fish, shellfish, small animals, and insects, so perhaps gull, hawk, stork, or even bat meat might be more accurate flavor analogues for certain species.

Big theropods like Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus were probably very beefy-tasting (though the theoretical rule of thumb that the tail meat probably tasted “lighter” than the meat elsewhere would presumably still apply). However, because they were meat-eaters themselves, their flesh probably would have been overpoweringly like the smaller carnivores, their diet probably would have had an overpoweringly pungent, metallic taste, and some parts of the body, such as the liver, may have been so rich in vitamins that they would have been toxic to consume.

I think that’s about all I can come up with right now. I repeat, please keep in mind that a lot of this is just informed speculation. At any rate, I hope you find it interesting and/or helpful :) (and my apologies again for the delay in answering your question).

Sources:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_pol...taste_like.html
http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/2331/2331.pdf
http://www.pterosaur.net/anatomy.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/muscle
http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/...le.php?id=31599
http://www.protein.bio.msu.ru/biokhimiya/c...l/65070891.html

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Do you think you'd have time to critique my Doctor Who fan fiction?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You mean this one? Well, I suppose I could, though I'm not sure I'm what you would call "qualified" for it, since I haven't read the novel it is based on. :unsure:

What kind of critique are you looking for? Do you want me to point out typos, grammar errors, and the like, or are you more concerned about the overall quality of the story? (We can continue this discussion by PM if you wish.)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I guess I can fill you in on the basics of it. And Pming that would be a great thing to do. But yeah, typos, grammar, and overall quality...since that's the bit I feel most concerned with.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You mentioned in a recent PM to me that you like LEGOs. Is there any set or theme in particular that you like the most?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think I have a definite slant towards sciencey, science-fictiony, and fantasy-y themed LEGO series. :p I am especially fond of sets that have interesting figures (dinosaurs, monsters, animals, aliens, and the like) and complex vehicles and architecture with many moving parts. I most enjoy building large, complicated sets with hundreds of pieces; unfortunately, due to the cost of many of them and the fact that we have limited space in our household, I haven't been able to collect any new ones for a while. :(

Here are several of the most memorable LEGO sets I have collected over the years:

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Do you like power metal?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's hard to say, as I don’t know enough about the style to even tell you for certain whether or not I’ve heard it. As I've stated before in response to questions about my musical preferences, I am very bad at recognizing certain musical genres, and pretty much completely hopeless when it comes to distinguishing between subsets of those categories (e.g., power metal versus other types of metal). So there could have been times when I listened toóand enjoyedóa power metal tune, but was unaware that that was what it was.

I imagine that if I were to listen to a variety of power metal songs, I would find that there were some that I liked and some that I disliked, as is the case with just about every other style of music out there. While I suspect that my like-to-dislike ratio differs between genres, genre in and of itself is not a make-or-break factor in determining whether or not I enjoy a tune.

So…short answer: I don’t know. :unsure:

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
What do you think about the theory that ceratopsians were not only herbivores but omnivores?I know you can't give a 100% sure answer,I just want to hear your opinion about it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Personally I am fascinated by the idea of dinosaurs traditionally believed to be strictly herbivorous (or carnivorous, for that matter) being in fact omnivorous. And the theory of part-time carnivory in ceratopsians sounds very plausible to me. Whereas other plant-eaters such such as hadrosaurs, ankylosaurs, and sauropods had broad muzzles adapted for cropping as much vegetation as possible per bite, ceratopsians had narrow jaws built for shearing, which suggests that they were more selective about what they ate. While they were certainly adapted for a primarily herbivorous lifestyle, they were much better suited for facultative carnivory than most of their fellow plant-eaters, or the numerous herbivores alive today that have been documented to eat meat on occasion (hippos scavenging carrion, deer decapitating seabird chicks, cows eating chicks and ducklings, etc.).

Omnivory seems especially likely for the smaller and more basal ceratopsians like Psittacosaurus and Leptoceratops; the larger species such as Triceratops and Centrosaurus were often the most abundant dinosaurs in their respective habitats, and there probably wouldn’t have been enough meat to go around. That’s not to say some of them wouldn’t have grabbed it when they had the chance, though. I don’t find it unlikely or difficult to imagine ceratopsians picking at the remains of a dinosaur carcass, (perhaps even bullying a theropod away from its kill in order to do so), pinning some poor small animal to the ground and tearing it apart with their beaks, or snapping at some tasty-looking insect (only to get hit in the face with a defensive squirt of noxious chemicals :p).

Thank you very much for the question. :)

Sources:
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/20...-of-the-day-11/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton/522293984/
http://www.thescelosaurus.com/ceratopsia.htm

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answer.I think it's realy helpfull that you mention the sources,becose one can read more about the topic if they want to with them.I have another qouestion to you.We always hear that dinos went extinct becose of a big meteor.I heard that maybe they were alredy a dying species,and the meteor was only the end of a longer suffering.They say that what realy killed dinosaurs were the bloodsucker insects,and other parasites.They spread various infections among the dinos,and the meteor just finished the alredy weakened species.What do you think about this theorys?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Did you ever get my PM about my plot problems for my Doctor Who story...I'm only asking because it doesn't seem to be in my "sent" inbox, and I wrote a loooooot of stuff that I'm a little scared to re-write if I have to  :oops

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,Oct 9 2012 on  08:58 AM
Thanks for the answer.I think it's realy helpfull that you mention the sources,becose one can read more about the topic if they want to with them.I have another qouestion to you.We always hear that dinos went extinct becose of a big meteor.I heard that maybe they were alredy a dying species,and the meteor was only the end of a longer suffering.They say that what realy killed dinosaurs were the bloodsucker insects,and other parasites.They spread various infections among the dinos,and the meteor just finished the alredy weakened species.What do you think about this theorys?
Sorry for the delay, Blais. I had a hard time figuring out how to word my response, and finding the time, energy, and concentration to write it. :oops

Truth be told, I’m not particularly attentive to new theories and articles about how the dinosaurs went extinct, partly because it’s such a ubiquitous subject: it seems like there’s hardly a single dinosaur book, documentary, or article out there that doesn’t devote a segment to talking about their extinction, and I’m much more interested in the diversity of dinosaur species and their behavior and biology than how they died. That won’t keep me from answering this question, though.

A small disclaimer: I guess I was a little absentminded writing this post, because I worded most of my argument as if I were refuting the idea of disease being the sole cause of the dinosaurs’ extinction, not as a theory that it merely “tenderized” the dinosaurs before the meteorite impact finished them off. :oops I think many of my points probably still apply, and I’ve tried editing them a little to be more relevant, but writing this entire post took so much time and work that I don’t want to reword the entire thing. (I’d like to share my thoughts on the “disease only” hypothesis anyway.) But if it wasn’t the answer to your question that you were looking for, just let me know and I’ll take another shot at it.

Personally I don’t buy the “wiped out by diseases” theory at all (at least, not as a singular reason for large numbers of dinosaur species around the world going extinct at the same time). The thing is that there’s almost no such thing as a contagion with a 100% mortality rate. And most pathogens are specialized for only a relatively small range of host species. It’s unlikely that there were ever very many diseases that could have affected all contemporary dinosaur species. To use a modern-day example, rabies is a contagious and extremely deadly disease (once symptoms appear, death is almost inevitable) that can infect virtually all mammal species, and have weóor any other mammals that we know ofóbeen wiped out by it? Obviously no; in fact, it is possible for some animals to be infected with the rabies virus but not develop rabies, because their immune systems are resistant to the disease and fight it off before symptoms develop. This is how all diseases work; whenever a disease infects a population, there will generally be a few individuals that just happen to have the right immune response to avoid getting sick. If all other members of the population die, then as long as there are enough survivors to breed, the population will rebound, but this time most or all of its members will be resistant or immune to the disease that ravaged the population before. And usually when a new disease crops up in a population, its impact will be far less severe, because the organisms and their immune systems will have been evolving alongside the precursors of the disease, and thus will be better “prepared” for resisting an outbreak. The worst epidemics occur when a population is introduced to a pathogen that they have never encountered before, and so the vast majority will have no immunity whatsoever. It is also much more likely for a population to be completely wiped out if it is hit by multiple outbreaks of different diseases over a short period of time, so that the population is unable to recover between epidemics.

As far as I know, proponents of the extinction by disease hypothesis usually also suggest that new land bridges forming at the end of the Cretaceous allowed dinosaurs from different continents to encounter one another and expose each other to new diseases. While it’s true that sea levels did drop at the end of the Cretaceous, and thus these interchanges may very well have happened in some parts of the world, I personally have a hard time believing that there were enough dinosaur species moving between landmasses in enough parts of the world, spreading enough diseases with broad enough host ranges and/or high enough mortality rates to other dinosaur species, and those diseases spreading far enough to affect the entirety of the dinosaur populations on those landmasses, and caused enough damage to those populations that dozens of dinosaur species across the globe simultaneously became extinct, or were crippled population-wise to the point that the meteorite easily finished them off. There are other holes in this theory as well. Some landmasses at the time of the late Cretaceous, such as India, were completely isolated from the rest of the continents, but as far as I know the dinosaurs living there died out at the same time as those in other parts of the world. The disease theory also does not account for the other organisms that died out at the same time as the dinosaurs (I’ll get to them soon).

What a lot of people probably don’t realize is that all of the major geologic periods of the past half billion years contained extinction events, many of them at or near the end of the period. The best known, of course, are the five great mass extinctions, of which the Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event that killed the dinosaurs was one. The dinosaurs had already lived through several extinction events by the time of their “final” extinction. Each of those events probably claimed a portion of the dinosaur species alive at the time, but the survivors simply rediversified and came back as strong as before. It was only the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous that hit hard enough to completely wipe out most of the dinosaurs (and if you consider the roughly 10,000 bird species alive today, then arguably the dinosaurs bounced back from that one, too). And throughout their history, interchanges of dinosaur species between different continents took place many times before the end of the Cretaceous. I am unaware of any existing studies on how those prior interchanges affected the species involved, but I can’t help but question (if uninformedly) why the end-Cretaceous interchanges would have been so much more catastrophic than those that occurred in the millions of years beforehand.

Another fact many people aren’t aware of is that the end-Cretaceous extinction affected more than just the dinosaurs, or even the pterosaurs, and marine reptiles. It also severely impacted shallow-water marine life: the spiral-shelled ammonites, straight-shelled belemnites, reef-building rudist clams, and giant inoceramid clams all disappeared entirely from the fossil record. Many other reef-dwelling species, such as corals, suffered heavily, and the foraminiferans, microscopic algae found both on the seabed and in the plankton that form a key component of the oceanic food web, declined by as much as ninety percent. Plankton in general were apparently very hard hit by the extinction, so that would explain why so many marine species became extinct.

On land, plants also suffered severely (which is pretty much a no-brainer, considering the stated effects of the meteorite impact theory include global forest fires and the blotting out of the sun), and in turn, many herbivorous insects died out. Even mammals, birds, and crocodilians, despite being trumpeted as extinction Houdinis in almost every source that mentions the aftermath of this event, suffered losses. Marsupials and multituberculates lost several species, and the latter never returned to being as successful as they were in the Mesozoic. The toothed hesperornithean and enantiornithine birds all disappeared, leaving only the toothless neornithes to repopulate the planet (it’s still a mystery why they didn’t go extinct, too). The crocodiles and their relatives lost about half of their numbers, and none of the large species survived.

Basically, any theory that only explains how the dinosaurs died out, and fails to account for the extinction of all these other organisms, is only plausible as a supporting cause of the dinosaurs’ extinction, not as the cause of the entire Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event. And let’s face it: any ecological catastrophe that causes so much damage to the most fundamental organisms in the food web like plants and plankton is definitely going to have severe consequences for the large heterotrophs such as dinosaurs.

In addition to the meteorite impact, the end of the Cretaceous was marked by massive and almost continuous volcanic eruptions taking place in what is now west-central India, a site known as the Deccan Traps. These eruptions may have ejected enough ash and gases into the atmosphere, with effects that may have been similar to what the meteorite impact caused. Earth’s climate was already in flux at the time, if the falling sea levels I mentioned before are any indication, so it seems reasonable to me that it was those changes that were already giving the dinosaurs and other large animals difficulty (in extinction events, it is invariably the big animals, or megafauna, that are most affected), then came the double whammy of intense volcanic activity and a meteorite impact that devastated the global environment. In fact, according to one of the sources I found (the first one listed), all mass extinction events may be linked to either volcanic events or meteorite impacts (or both).

In summary, I think that it’s possible that disease might have affected some dinosaurs towards the end of the Cretaceous if there was indeed widespread interchange of species over newly formed land bridges, but I feel doubtful that it would have contributed significantly to their final demise. Perhaps at some point I will find a source that convincingly argues thatófor the dinosaurs at leastódisease could have been widespread and destructive enough to make a difference, but at this point in time, the climate change + Deccan eruptions + meteorite hypothesis is the most convincing explanation for me.

Thanks for asking me another question! :DD

Sources:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/education/events/cowen1b.html (3 pages)
http://paleobiology.si.edu/geotime/main/ht...retaceous4.html
http://paleobiology.si.edu/blastpast/paleoBlast3.html

Quote from: Ptyra,Oct 20 2012 on  05:48 PM
Did you ever get my PM about my plot problems for my Doctor Who story...I'm only asking because it doesn't seem to be in my "sent" inbox, and I wrote a loooooot of stuff that I'm a little scared to re-write if I have to :oops
Yes, I did receive your PM, Ptyra. I'm sorry; I haven't responded yet because, to tell you the truth, the amount of message content I have to respond to was a little overwhelming when I first saw it. You have so many points to address, many of which I think you probably understand better than I can comprehend, let alone offer suggestions for. (I'm honestly concerned that you're going to be disappointed by just how useless I'll be at helping you.) Also, the night I first got your PM, I already had a lot of things on my mind. There were e-mails I needed to write, threads on the GOF that needed my input, and family-related matters that I knew I would have to attend to. When I opened your message and started, I think my brain overloaded. :oops I really needed a rest after I skimmed through it. There was no way I could tackle it without a clear head. I haven't had the chance to get back to it since then because things haveóif anythingóonly been busier for me since then. We had a guest in our household through all of last week, and my youngest brother came to visit from college for the weekend; I tried to spend as much quality time with them as possible (in fact I wasn't able to visit the GOF at all for a couple of days). They’re both gone now, so things will be less busy around the house, and I hope to be able to respond to your PM soon, though it may still take a while unless I respond to it in segments. Sorry again for worrying you. :oops

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ah, okay :) . Thanks for letting me know. I'm just glad that it didn't run off to LaLa Land where the buffalo roam and there was no chance of finding it.
You can take your time

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wow,thanks for the lot of information,thats definetly satisfied my thirst for knowledge about this topic.To be honest,I was sceptical with it too.
I am unaware of any existing studies on how those prior interchanges affected the species involved, but I can’t help but question (if uninformedly) why the end-Cretaceous interchanges would have been so much more catastrophic than those that occurred in the millions of years beforehand.

I guess the reason why the late Cretaceous  interchanges were more fatal is the other cathastrophes that happened that time.Those diseases alone were not able to take the dinosaurs down,however they lowered their diversity.The real question for me with this theory is that without this interchanges smaller dinosaurs could have survived the other catastrophes?I don't think that we can estimate this,but I think that we should look on other species.Mammals for example could traveled across those land bridges too,and spread diseases with each other,but they still lost only 20%-40% (I don't remember the punctual number).And,as you said there were isolated places.For me this suggest that dinosaurs would died out with or without this interchanges aniway.

I can't help but ask another question :smile .While I was visitig a zoo,I noticed how the male tiger was nearly twice as big as the female.But watching the owls,the female was bigger than the male.I wondered about this,and the t-rex came into my mind.Female t-rexes were bigger than males,and I guess this is true for all Theropods.But what about other species,such as ceratopsians,sauropods,stegosaurids,ankylosaurids?Were the female bigger than the male was a thing all dinosaur species shared,or only a few?