The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

frustrating gameplay, not violent content

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
https://games.yahoo.com/news/oxford-study-s...-222102730.html

According to a recent study, it seems that the presence or absence of violent content makes little difference in a gamer's behavior afterwards. However, gamers who tend to not be very successful, whether by not learning the game first or simply due to a high-difficulty gameplay, had a much more aggressive behavior than those who had little problem.

I find that this actually makes a lot of sense (and thus justifies my desire to always play games on the easier levels, whenever possible).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Yeah, that makes sense to me too. I remember when I was younger, if I was paying a PS1 game that I found hard, I'd have big crying tantrums if I got stuck - though now I actually really like harder games (and I don't have as many tantrums  :p)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nothing new. The question is, however, if those who blame violence on video games will understand this :p

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
http://d.facdn.net/art/campion1/1397258818..._ziggyzoom1.png

It goes without saying why something like this would be drawn! In all seriousness, I try to keep my frustration pinned to the game and only the game.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Makes sense.

Frustration tends to piss people off.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This is exactly why I tend to not enjoy games with a higher level of challenge. They just end up really annoying me and make me not want to even play them. When I play games, I like to just be able to relax and play, not die 5 million times on the same battle and throw my controller across the room :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I tend to play strategy games and I often get my butt kicked :lol Gee, I'm just experiencing such a frustrating defeat...
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's how I feel.  That's why I don't play games that are hard.  Some folks I know love to play hard games and there should be hard games for them, but they should be labeled as such.  & I think games should have controls where you can adjust difficulty on the fly.   Not just to make them easier, but to make them harder also.  That is why I research a game a lot before I buy one, including watching a let's play of it.  Let's me know not just if I'd like it or not but how hard it is, and frustrating.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I usually find that, yeah, harder games are more frustrating, but they also seem to give you a much, much bigger sense of accomplishment once you manage to get past that area, or beat that boss. They're a lot more satisfying to play, for me.