The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT crossing overs, yes or no?

Serris · 55 · 4869

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
This is supposed to be a poll on the opinions of LBT fanfic crossovers.

I'm personally not a fan of crossovers, but I won't condemn anyone that likes them. However, I'm not really an LBT purist, so anything that seems a little off key for an LBT story (The 2 LBT fanfics of A Traitor in Our Midst and War of the Worlds spring to mind) will not bother me.

ETA: Uhh, how do you add a poll?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Also, an LBT fanfic that is too violent is questionable but one that is action loaded and suspensful and akin to a thriller is A-OK (even if it would NEVER make it into an LBT film).

Sexual/character bashing fanfics are a complete no-no for me.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I vote yes! My first fan-fic is a crossover between LBT and Eragon.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I'm kinda conflicted here....cause while I prefer a pure LBT fanfic, I do tend to fancy several LBT crossovers on FF.net. However If I've never seen the show/movie/book that the crossover is based on...then it will take me a while to understand it and enjoy it much like Warriors of the Solar System.

But overall I support crossovers in general.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I am very much opposed to LBT crossing overs especially if the crossing over is of a totally different genre. LBT + another good story doesn't make a better or even a story of comparable quality to LBT. There is hardly a way to bring characters from other stories into LBT without an awful lot of stuff that just doesn't belong there. Even in case of such easy crossing overs as land before time and disney's dinosaur it just doesn't feel right as far as I'm concerned. But from Star Wars, over Zelda, and the lord of the rings, to resident evil, and the lion king there have been crossing overs with about anything. I know this opinion is unpopular, but I think that it is a sign of imagination to be able to write stories within the boundaries set by the original movie and the early sequels rather than allowing just anything to happen in a story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't mind crossovers, as long as they don't take things too far (such as anything sexual :x ).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do not read the fan-fic that involves something sexual that is on fanfiction.net if you don't like that kind of stuff.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I already know which one that is and I've never even bothered a quick peek at it.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Cross over LBT fanfics is a real no-no for me.  No other thing can be introduced into an LBT environment that already exists (like star wars or other tv show or book).  If you add your own characters that you made up on your own, then that's okay, but I just hate it when people put a couple of shows together.  It may start out okay, but then the writers find themselves desperately trying to improvise and put things together and it just turns out rediculous (like one I saw Littlefoot was battling Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber duel after turning to the dark side.)  Though these things may be sort of funny, people tend to get obsessed with them, degrading and humiliating the original movies of both sides in their stories and eventually losing the original point and plot of the individual movies they feature in their fanfic.  Quite sad. :(

Sexual things in a fanfic are okay so long as they're tasteful, not too explicit, and don't involve two creatures from different movies or books.  By not too explicit, I mean very mild things that make you assume sexual things are going on between the characters, not mild sex scenes!  It takes a lot of skill to make the reader think that sexual things are going on between the characters without just coming out and saying it.  They usually go something like this:

"I want to...........slksdjflkjgsad..sdf.dshfolshjlkijdskglj.l.jgslkdlkjlkgjdslkgj and sdflkdsjfklslkdjljlksdf...sgjlsfj..."

That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm not talking about literally speaking what they're going to do out of the book.  Just little hints.  It usually takes a long time to make the reader think such things without just saying it or just turning it into something completely nasty.  That's why I usually say "No sexual relations between characters in fanfics".  I'm not opposed to it, but it's just too hard to include those things without including them or saying things about them for most people.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I somewhat like that philisophily (Yes, I misspell AND mispronounce philosophy).

Cross-overs can produce either good or bad results, depending on what the cross-over involves

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 12 2008 on  09:25 AM
Cross over LBT fanfics is a real no-no for me.  No other thing can be introduced into an LBT environment that already exists (like star wars or other tv show or book).  If you add your own characters that you made up on your own, then that's okay, but I just hate it when people put a couple of shows together.  It may start out okay, but then the writers find themselves desperately trying to improvise and put things together and it just turns out rediculous (like one I saw Littlefoot was battling Luke Skywalker in a lightsaber duel after turning to the dark side.)  Though these things may be sort of funny, people tend to get obsessed with them, degrading and humiliating the original movies of both sides in their stories and eventually losing the original point and plot of the individual movies they feature in their fanfic.  Quite sad. :(
I personally see nothing wrong with crossing things over in fanfiction. Crossover fanfics can be quite fun to experiment with in my opinion. While some crossovers can be bad, I admit, there are others that are just great and well written, well thought out.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I made my vote against crossovers, but I have a clause stating if the quality is spectacular, and at least semi-'plausable' then it's alright... or if there's a complex reasoning, that's alright, but I don't like "let's put these together, because we can" crossovers

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
It depends on with what your're crossing over.
Crossing over LBT with, like LBTlover mentioned, Star Wars isn't a good idea.
It may be fun but the LBT feeling would get lost. I don't like such crossovers.

Crossing over LBT with, well, Dink the Little Dinosaur makes more sense to me.

Still, I'm a huge crossover fan, but not the rediculous ones.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Would you consider LBT and Eragon ridiculous?

Just curious.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Well, not that much like the Star Wars one.
LBT (way in the past) and Star Wars (way in the future) that just doesn't feel right.
Or it's because I don't like Sci-Fi.

But I haven't read your fanfic. But I might take a peek, though.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
To be honest, I didn't like eragon all that much so a crossover with eragon might prove interesting.  I'll only read a fanfic once it's completed though.  I've been left hanging too many times. -_-

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I actually created an award for outstanding crossovers: The Grand Cross (The name is a pun)

Eligibility Rules:

Must be fan fiction

Must be a cross-over
Crossover -fusion of 2 or more books/movies/cartoons/games
At least 1 character from each work added to cross over must appear in it
At least 1 character from each work must play a role in the plot.
Cameo appearances are permitted only if the above 2 requirements are met
At least 1 character from each work must have lines
Exception: If it is stated that said character is mute
The setting does not count as a “character”

There is a maximum of 4 works fused together

May not contain sexual activity
Kissing, hugging, nuzzling, etc. are acceptable

Depictions of deaths are allowed but may not be excessively graphic

Character bashes are not allowed
Character bash - a fan fiction solely written to insult a character from the substrate fan fiction

Violence is permitted but excessive/graphic not allowed

Slash fiction is not allowed
Slash fiction – fan fiction solely written for the pairing of 2 characters together

There are no recipients as of now.

Mistress Dragon

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://demonkaizoku.deviantart.com/
I prefer sticking to just LBT only, but if it's something appropriate and not too over the top, then I don't mind the occasional crossover.  :P: