The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just saw 2012 today and it was an outstanding film for the most part although there were some flaws like when Jackson was getting the map out of Charlie's RV, he actually stays in the RV and looks at it for a few seconds,jackson, you do know that you are about say, six seconds away from death.

Another flaw took place on the ship near the end, it seems whenever something on the ship is fixed something else seems to screw up, other then those two things it was a great movie.

And Animeboye, I have to agree that Titanic is kind of a chick flick, but I watch it just to see the Titanic sink so to me its a romance/disaster movie.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I wasn't impressed to be honest.  Lotta explosions...  so many I thought it was a Micheal Bay film.   CGI world's end was there...  and... well thats what it was I guess.  After they make so many movies about the world ending it gets boring.

Also...  anyone else think this was the prequel to Waterworld?

Also Also...   Go see Men that Stare at Goats

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
End of the world movies do seem to be becoming a bit of a cliche. I rememeber watching a B movie by this group called The Asylum. It was called The Apocolypse. Same premise. I thought it could have been ok except the story was incredibly depressing, even for an end of the world film. The sound was just terrible(90% of the time, you couldn't even make out what the characters were saying which didn't help since the movie didn't have subtitles). The subplot which focused around the death of the main characters' son was never settled. And the ending was very anticlimatic.  *Spoiler Alert*So the male protagonist's wife dies, he sets out to find his daughter on his own. They find each other and wait for the end of the world...When they're for some reason the only ones left!! *End Spoilers*

I try to steer clear of end of the world movies since none of them are truly good. Hopefully 2012 will be better.

Also I apologize for my outburst last night. Wasn't in a very good mood.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Asylum is pretty bad, their adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel "The War Of The Worlds" is considered one of the worst novel adaptations out there.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Cool the world's being sucked into hell lol

I think I will see this one :lol:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I finally got a chance to see this movie last night and I can definitely say that it was worth waiting for. I can't exactly describe why I liked this move so much, but I guess it has something to do with worldwide destruction and the "scientific" explanation about what would cause so much destruction.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't really enjoy this film. John Cusak just didn't make me care enough, I guess. That, and disaster films never really pique my interest that much.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I saw this movie, and I'm kind of with other people on this one. The effects were breathtaking, and Johnny was in good acting form.

My main problem with this movie is the premise. This movie was clearly made to capitalize on the 2012 scare, and in a way it really downgrades it. The movie really has nothing to do with the 2012 phenomenon, at least in the ideas of how the world is going to come to an end. Sure there is a reference to the Mesoamerican Calender, and if I remember there is shots of wide mass suicides to escape the apocalypse (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a bit since I saw it), but that's about it. The end of the world is caused by a massive solar flare in the movie, but the main theories in real life involve the planets aligning, the reversal of the North and South Pole, and a black hole. I don't remember any of these being touched upon in the movie.

Overall, I think this movie is ok. It has good effects and acting, but not enough research was really put into the actual 2012 theories in my opinion. If this movie were given a different title, then it would fit better. If people go to see a movie about 2012, I would hope they would expect to see a bit more connection to the real life theories than simply the day it happens.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Apr 18 2010 on  03:57 PM
The effects were breathtaking, and Johnny was in good acting form.

The movie is definitely worth watching because of the excellent computer-generated graphics. My favorite scene was the part where the USS John F. Kennedy flips over and hit the White House, because the graphics were unbelievably good. The storyline wasn't all that great, but the graphics definitely made up for it.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Even though this topic is about the movie, I noticed that some people here have also talked about the 2012 doomsday prophecy that I'm sure we all know about by now. I didn't want to make another topic, so I'm posting in this one. I just found an article that says that the day of the 2012 doomsday prophecy may be off by more than 50 years:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/201010...eearthpostponed

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
Doesn't matter.  Its all a load of Grade A bullcrap anyway, just like the movie was.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Oct 20 2010 on  05:55 PM
Its all a load of Grade A bullcrap anyway, just like the movie was.
That's what I tell ALL my friends about 2012. :rolleyes

EDIT: Also, their doing a tv series called "2013: A Year Later", or something like that. Its the sequel to this movie, and takes place one year later. :rolleyes  It follows a group of survivors from 2012 trying to live in their new world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_(film)#Television_spin-off

Yes, there's several sources and links on the wikipedia page.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
And just like the movie, it will likely suck.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: Animeboye,Nov 19 2009 on  07:50 PM
Bay is just another "fad" like the Jonas Brothers or Twilight.
I just hope if my friend Sydney joins the gang of five, she dosen't read the post I quoted. She abssesed with Jonas and Twilight, that's all she every talks about at breakfast, study hall and in langauge class. She'd freak if she read that.

Anyway, I've never believed that about the world ending in 2012.

They said it would in 1996, nope. 1998, nope. 2000, nope. 2004, nope. 2006, nope. 2008, nope and they even said this year at one point, then dropped it. 2012, I doubt it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just hope if my friend Sydney joins the gang of five, she dosen't read the post I quoted. She abssesed with Jonas and Twilight, that's all she every talks about at breakfast, study hall and in langauge class. She'd freak if she read that.

If she's that touchy then she's gonna blow a fuse if she sees my sig. :lol