The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Terra'Nova

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Is anyone going to watch this when it comes out? It's a new show coming to Fox, directed by Steven Spielberg.

The TV series involves a grim future where most animals and plants are dead and there's no fresh air. Humanity develops a time travel device and sends selected humans into the past about 85 million years to rebuild society. The show will have some invented dinosaurs due to only 10% being known from the area around this time. And no there will be no tyrannosaurus as it wasn't around at this point.

http://www.fox.com/terranova/

The show will air next month.

Although the plot sounds silly and dangerous (potentially rewriting history), I may give this show a shot.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This did catch my interest a little bit, if I recall. I haven't seen any recent previews for it, but I was thinking about it. I already watch too many shows in the fall season though, but it was one of the ones I was thinking about checking out.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll watch at least the first few episodes before giving full judgement, and if I like it enough, I'll watch the rest of the first season.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
This sounds interesting to me also. I may watch it and see what I think about the show. Since it has a few gernes that I like.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Meh, its got dinosaurs in it. I'll be willing to give it a shot

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,Aug 29 2011 on  03:41 PM
Meh, its got dinosaurs in it. I'll be willing to give it a shot
 :exactly

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Since I've seen this show advertised so many times, (I forget if it was on either Discovery Channel or History Channel, but I know it was on one of them) I think I'll watch it. In fact, I've seen the ad so many times on TV that I know that the first episode (2 hour special) will be on tonight at 8 p.m., so that's why I'm here earlier than usual today.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I watched the premiere a few days ago on Hulu Plus. The show isn't too bad, but I wouldn't say it's award-winning either.

The main characters, overall, felt too stereotypical and weren't well fleshed out in my opinion. The dinosaurs could have been better. I mean they aren't awful or anything, but the CGI isn't as good as it was in Jurassic Park, and Dinosaur Revolution definitely had better CGI as well, which was released around the same time. There are some plot holes present in the story (though not too overwhelming), and some stuff doesn't really make too much sense.

The plot is interesting, the idea of going into the past to rebuild civilization, and the action is good (such as the fight with the slashers near the end). And the Sixers did add an extra level of complexity. I was pleased to see that the dinosaurs aren't going to be the only form of complications for the pilgrims of this new, or rather, old world.

But those were the main things it had going with it. Another problem I had was how the dinosaurs looked. It has been accepted in the scientific community that dinosaurs, at least the theropods, had feathers, and perhaps even some herbivores. Yet the slashers, which are supposed to be a fictional dromaeosaurid (or raptor), lacks feathers and is a scaly, "naked" creature. Not only that, but the hands are in the wrong position, facing down instead of palms facing towards each other like they actually were.

I still say, if you haven't seen the premiere yet, to try to watch it and give it your own verdict. The two episode premiere is available as a single video on Hulu. The free Hulu I mean. It came on Plus first and then afterward became available to any user.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've seen the pilot and I have to say, I have a feeling this just kight become the new Jurassic Park.

Like DarkHououmon (sorry if I spelt your name wrong DX) said, the Dinosaurs could've been better. In Jurassic park, the CGI was amazing, in this one, I felt like it could've done better. The characters were pretty decent. Hey, one's a Dino nut, that's enough for me. Also, I smell a few pairings coming on.

I've wanted to watch this show since I first saw its commercial. So, there I was, sitting on the couch when suddenly, a Brachiosaurus popped up. I literally squeled. I've watched the show and I'm willing to give the rest of the season a try. Hey, how bad could it be...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well if the graphics couldn't even compete with an old ass show like Jurassic Park, it's not something I'd really be interested in.  I was about to download this too.  Thanks for warning me guys and saving me the bandwidth.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Oct 2 2011 on  04:17 PM
Hey, how bad could it be...
NNNNOOOOO!!!!  You said the forbidden sentence!  You're not supposed to say that!  You've doomed it to suckage! :( */joke*

All joking aside, I think it was okay.  It is at least interesting.  I still have plenty of questions, but I'm sure they'll all be answered.

(Note: One of the questions is "Why go back 85 million years?"  What reason was it to go back that far?  "Plot convenience" as answer is unacceptable.)

As said by others, the CGI is dated and the characters are bland, but that only seems to be the real issues out of it.  I'll see what the rest is like before I pass full judgement on it.

See ya later!

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've seen the first few minutes of the pilot episode, it looked amazing. The future scenes(which were the only scenes I saw before having to turn it off) reminded me of Blade Runner.  The Prehistoric scenes looked cool too.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Oct 2 2011 on  07:54 PM
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Oct 2 2011 on  04:17 PM
Hey, how bad could it be...
NNNNOOOOO!!!!  You said the forbidden sentence!  You're not supposed to say that!  You've doomed it to suckage! :( */joke*

All joking aside, I think it was okay.  It is at least interesting.  I still have plenty of questions, but I'm sure they'll all be answered.

(Note: One of the questions is "Why go back 85 million years?"  What reason was it to go back that far?  "Plot convenience" as answer is unacceptable.)

As said by others, the CGI is dated and the characters are bland, but that only seems to be the real issues out of it.  I'll see what the rest is like before I pass full judgement on it.

See ya later!
They didn't know what time era the rip led to. That's why they sent the first probe into the rip, to find out when. Also, I realized that the rip leads to a separate timeline.
Also, Dark, if you look closely at the slashers' arms, you can see protofeathers. I don't know if you can see them in the picture, but they're there.

And given the fact that they're fictional, I can see why they wouldn't have actual feathers or be fully covered with them or protofeathers.
I think it began and ended on a great note. I compared the CGI to the effects of a next gen game, but they're not that bad. At least, not for a show with a first series budget. I didn't find the characters particularly bland. And also, after watching this, I simply must have this piece

:smile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes they're fictional, but I don't believe that's an excuse for the slashers to not be fully feathered like a real dromaeosaurid. From what I read in an article about Terra Nova before its release, they said they were going to create fictional dinosaurs that were to be made to be believable to be from that era, since so few dinos are known around this particular time of the Cretaceous.

But by making the slasher practically featherless, as well as give them the inaccurate hands down posture, they made the slasher an unrealistic dinosaur. It can be said that in the alternate timeline, the feathers never evolved, but I feel that is just a cop out, an excuse not to add the feathers on. Part of me believes that the reason the slashers aren't fully feathered is because someone in charge hates the idea of dinos being feathered and refused to have them be covered in feathers, despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Acceraptor, according to the wiki, is their official name, and it states that they do in fact have feathers. Go back and watch the scene where Josh sees the slasher through the roof of the Sixers' vehicle. If you look closely, there is actually a layer of feathers covering the slasher's body. They aren't as pronounced as a bird's feathers but that's probably because they live in a tropical environment or these may have been females as a slasher seen in a trailer was black and white. I do admit, however, that they messed up the claw posture.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The slashers do remind me of another fictional dino that made its appearance around 2000 or 2001.

It's called the kra, and it's from Dinosaur Wars. Here's a picture of one, Gar: http://thomas-hopp.com/blog/wp-content/upl.../08/MeetGar.jpg

There's still plenty of differences, but a couple similarities, the biggest one being they both sport a crest.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh wow! The head of the kra looks very similar to the slashers', besides the fact that the slashers' heads aren't as birdlike.
I missed last night's episode. Did anybody watch it?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not me. It comes on Hulu Plus, though, so I'll be able to watch it sometime later.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Oct 4 2011 on  04:29 PM
I missed last night's episode. Did anybody watch it?
Found it online! :)

Season 1: Episode 3

Note: Buffering is a bit slow.  Please be patient. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just finished watching it on Hulu. It was interesting and I liked it a little more than Genesis.