The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

the future of our world

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I saw a program on the History Channel last night about a possible worst case scenario of what the world could be like in the year 2100. My thoughts after watching it: although there are many ways we could make our future a better one, I have a feeling that today's problems will only continue to get worse.

What are your thoughts on the future? Where do you think the human race will be in a hundred years?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think we do have the possibilities to make a future much better than the present time and by far better than the worst case predictions. Alas the problem is not the lack of possibilities but of true will to change something. The moment a change of the future would require a change of habit mankind becomes the most inert mass imaginable and one either needs a LOT of time to get it into motion or else an archimedic point posed by a concrete vision of immediate doom (thread of nuclear war is more likely than not responsible for the avoidance of any large scale conventional war in Europe after WW2). The vision of doom with some delay seems to be insufficient to convince the inert mass to change habits and possibly sacrifice some degree of comfort in exchange for a higher chance on continuous existence.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, good question, I shall answer it with this:

We will all be ruled by Pie People! :lol:

Science does stuff to pies, pie become intelegent, grow limbs and take over the world as we know it XD

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with you, Malte. The problem is not that we don't have the technology to improve the future. The problem is the willingness of the majority of people to make the necessary changes they need to make. People tend to worry too much about short-term consequences ("how much will it cost?"), which is why I fear that by the time enough people are willing to truly improve the future, it may be too late.

- Berix

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
To make the future "better" (or better to most of the 7 billion who live here) you need mass willpower to change how things are so that all benefit from the advances of the future.  It isn't in human nature to help all without taking a bit more for yourself.  We don't have billions of Andrew Carnegies out there willing to sacrifice and give their all.  To make that a reality, you'd have to hard-wire how people think about one another, and I don't realistically think that is possible.  You should hear half the crap that goes on in the hometown I grew up in about what people think about each other currently (its an absolute political mess).  I'm glad I don't regularly live there anymore.

Kill the egos and maybe the future can be "better".

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
...and start examining and reexamining the own behavior to see where you yourself can do better for the environment (this being one of the most pressing problems of the future but also one for which every individual can take immediate and measurable action), before looking at what the others could do.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Funny how I just played a park in Rollercoaster Tycoon that is called 'future world' :P:

Anyway! The future? I would honestly have no idea. I should look into the speed they are developing stuff now and see if it's still going as quick as it used to go. In that case we might be totally computerized so to speak in a couple of years.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Humanity is by nature a procrastinating race. History has shown that we continue on our merry way until something happens, and we get that kick in the pants we need to change our ways, sometimes a bit too late. It's happening right now with oil supplies and such - we are continuing to pour much of our resources into traditional power sources such as fossil fuels, and while a select few are taking initiative and seeking out alternate power sources, when we eventually suck all the oil dry we'll probably run around like headless chickens.

Our capacity to change the future lies in our capacity to act on things now. Sorry to put a downer on things, but in my opinion, what we are doing right now is setting us up for a future that isn't as rosy as we'd like it to be.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 9 2010 on  09:26 AM
...and start examining and reexamining the own behavior to see where you yourself can do better for the environment (this being one of the most pressing problems of the future but also one for which every individual can take immediate and measurable action), before looking at what the others could do.
True, true. :exactly

As I said, changing the hard-wiring and seeing "I am a problem in this way and what I could I do to become a better person" is the hard problem for a good majority.  Yes it could start with me, you, the GOF as a whole...but everyone needs to do it too, no matter how much we take the time to do these things.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
If people won't change, it'll be a terrible future.

I see teenagers every day and their antisocial attitudes... they are only interested in party's, sex and drugs like alcohol and cigarettes. They do nothing for school and they get bad marks, bad school reports and no jobs. Additionally they are violent and they run other people down...

Every seventh teenager in Germany is a racist, so they even aren't able to accept other people and foreigners.

Maybe the technology and economy will make a huge progress, but if the people aren't able to change, there will be many criminals, violence and war. :(

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I personally think, and I'm just throwing it out there, that in the future, if something isn't done soon, texting is going to utterly destroy the english language.  It can already be seen today as 14-year-olds start writing stuff like "lol" and "omg" and "rofl" in their final draft essays.  I'm not making this up, my old high school english teacher handed five Fs to freshmen because of it.  At the rate its popularity keeps growing, the chatspeak abomination might become the real life equivalent of 1984's "newspeak", completely tearing down the english language and simplifying verbal expression to what looks like something people would see in "Idiocracy."  That's just my two cents on what I think is a possibility in the future.  

By the way, I'm proud to admit that I have never sent a cell phone text message in my life, and I'd like to keep it that way.   :lol

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
The future belongs to those who believe they have a place in it. I believe that I do, my country does, and that all people do, regardless of race, creed or origin if they believe in it.

The following is a hypothesis. No value judgments are meant by the following. I say this because it is a rather large set of predictions about the future of our world.

More specifically... hmm. I think the future will be greener, cleaner, and that there will be a sorting out of peoples with higher fertility rates as opposed to lower ones; we can look forward to higher rates of religiosity, an increase in the number of Indians, Muslims, Catholics, Evangelicals, Africans and Latinos relative to atheists, East Asians and Protestants (no offense meant to ANY of these groups), and, despite misleading statistics of a decrease of religion in the USA (totally explained by the fact that most Americans switch religions and during the inter-faith period of their lives, they are marked as having "no religion", but usually end up switching to a more intense version of the faith), I can predict a rise in religious values in many countries.

But before this happens, there will be a "lag" of irreligion/atheism, fueled in part by Europe's influence, party by judges and lawmakers who grew up during the counterculture days, and the fact that, as an exception to the rest of the world, Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are, for the most part, less religious than the majority of the world, for better and for worse.

Old neocolonial ties and powerful institutions in Europe (The Hague, all those institutions in Geneva, the emerging offices of the EU, etc) will still continue their "institutional stickiness", but eventually, the pressure of a decreasing population in Europe, the increasing population in the USA, a continued shift of economic power to American and "emerging" markets, as well as the rise of evangelical and pentecostal Christianity at the expense of "mainline" protestantism will all be too much for Europe's influence to handle. It will still remain a rich continent, but will find itself increasingly sidelined in the next 50 years. The only chance for it to check or reverse this is for the EU to be super-effective AND for the population declines to reverse themselves.

China will overtake the rest of East Asia in economic size; it is about to overtake Japan. It probably will NOT overtake the USA in economic size or military power, although it will try. Japan will see a massive fall in population, economic power, and productivity as it increasingly becomes a land where excellent TVs and cars and designed, only to be made elsewhere. India has great potential, but most of it is still a vast sinkhole of poverty, sadly. I'm not sure what will come of it other than it will claim the title of the world's most populous nation in the next 10-15 years, probably.

The Islamic world will continue to run on oil. When it runs out, or is no longer enough to support them, there will be a great crisis. Dubai's implosion is less than the tip of the iceberg as to what awaits them. Unless they implement effective democracies, eliminate terrorism and corruption to the best of their ability, and diversify their economies beyond oil, gas and "bubble" investments, they are in for a long nightmare.

Africa has so many issues, I need a separate thread for it. Poverty, corruption, crime, terrorism, rent-seeking behaviors, plagues, tribalism, illiteracy, extreme disparities between rich and poor, drought, poaching, and over-dependence on aid are just some of the many problems.

As for the USA, I see us as the major world power 50 years from now, with our leads increasing against all other nations except for China. Our overall lead will be greater, our productivity higher, and our population larger. I see states like Texas, Georgia, Arizona, Tennessee, North Carolina, Utah, and (after they solve real estate issues) Nevada and Florida as being the fastest-growing states. While some of them might go democratic on occasion, most of them will continue to vote "red." It is also quite possible that Texas will overtake California as the most populous state in 50 years.
My own state of New York will likely stagnate unless the city undergoes a boom. I don't know where NYC will be in 50 years, but if the rival cities of Tokyo, London, and Paris all decline (a distinct possibility with the falling populations in those areas), New York stands to gain from their relative falls.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I agree with SouthPawRacer, the best way for us humans to change is that first something must happen to us. Individually, maybe we can do things and try to help and make things better, but sadly that doesn't work for the big "mass" of people... sadly, the only way to get the best of ourselves is that something bad must happen first. It may be quite pessimistic, but I have seen it countless times and it may get to happen countless more times. If we get to change our attitude without the need of bad things happening, if we just were able to open our minds and see really what is going on, then we can change things, before something irreversible could happen.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with many views explained in this topic. Humanity faces many problems these days and they're only going to get worse over time, unless if great effort is done to solve these problems. However, I seriously doubt that we'll put enough effort into solving these problems. I think that this is mostly due to the attitudes of not only the majority of the people, but also the political leaders. I'm not just talking about the U.S. (though I feel we're starting to take some steps in the right direction), but every nation in the world, particularly places like China. With the threat of Global Warming, the nations of the world should focus more on reducing greenhouse gases rather than on economic growth, but I have a feeling that the opposite is what's going to happen.

- Berix