The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Microsoft's Biggest Mistakes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Lately, I'm really fed up with Microsoft.  I absolutely hate all of their newest products.  IE7, Office 2001, Windows Vista, and now they're trying to totally take control of the net with some new form of online server technology.  In the past, Microsoft made very little mistakes.  The only real big mistake it has ever made was windows ME, but that was fixed in under a year with windows XP.  I must say that Microsoft has got it all wrong.  Vista, IE7, and Office 2007 all follow the same basic theme:  Make it look pretty and disregard how many resources it takes up.  Visual appeal is paramount.  Screw the usability and what the user really wants.  Let's just make it look pretty and worry about the other stuff later.

It's not working for me at all and I must say it's not working for most of the world that uses computers.  I mean, office 2007 uses up like 512mb of ram just starting and for what?  It's got some cool buttons and an annoying cartoon-like user interface.  I can't emphasize this enough:  PEOPLE NEED TO USE THEIR COMPUTERS FOR WORK!!!

Mac has got it all right.  They make it look good without impeding the user experience.  Vista needs to use a MAX of 256mb of ram, 500mhz, and take up less than 5gb AND it needs to actually be usable at it's minimum requirements!  IE7 is nothing but a crapload of annoying security garbage to protect computer illiterate people from stuff they don't need to be protected from.  They totally changed the UI (user interface).  I have just one question:  WHY???  If it worked before, why change it?  Microsoft has just made it slow, non-forgiving of coding mistakes, and just a pile of garbage.  Office 2007 uses up so many resources and it's so ugly!  Why not just make it like office 2003?  Menus work fine.  I remember the days when getting your work done didn't take 10 years even on a state of the art computer.  Even brand new Vista machines take like 5 whole minutes to boot when they've got nothing on them!  If you've got more than 1.4ghz single core and a gig of ram, your computer should be fast as hell.  It should boot in around 30 seconds and be fast at just about everything.  I don't understand this.  Why doesn't Microsoft get this?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, which is why I'm slowly trying out Linux as my possible main os.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm having no trouble with IE7 to be honest. But I do understand your feelings about Vista and office 2007.

Look nice but terrible uneasy to use.

I still can't find certain futures when it comes to word 2007 and im using it for quite some time already....

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
IE7 constantly annoys you when you work.  It's MUCH slower than most other browsers, even its predecessor, IE6. :rolleyes: Setting the home page is a pain in the butt and then it disregards your home page if you haven't told it about a billion things in the settings.  IE7 is a disaster.  I'm sticking with firefox, although I like the look and feel of Safari better.  Firefox is the best browser in the world because it's the most tolerant of code errors and it's the absolute fastest.  The only downside is when you leave it open for a few days, it stars using about a gig of ram just sitting there and I don't know why.  You have to close it so it'll go back to using around 35mb of ram.

People are gradually adapting to office 2007, but everyone I've spoken to hates it.  I'm actually starting to like it, but every time I want to do more than type and print I have to look up how to do stuff online.  It gets really annoying.

Vista uses so many resources and gives you nothing but prettiness in return.  You can get all that prettiness in XP just by installing a few themes and patches.  Vista look with XP performance.  It's a no-brainer. :rolleyes:

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Have you ever thought about what Microsoft's mission statement is? Customer satisfaction? Or to make money?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd guess it's to make as much of a profit as possible like most businesses.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll be dead before I let Microsoft push me around.  Screw this.  I'm gonna switch to linux ASAP.  That is.....unless Microsoft turns around and actually makes a decent product again that doesn't use a billion gigs of ram and crap.

If Vienna sucks, then I'm switching to linux.  No exceptions.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder if Microsoft even realizes the problems with these products. Do the users not complain to them enough, or do they just ignore the complaints like the idiots they are rumored to be? :unsure:

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Wouldn't one anti-Microsoft rant topic be more appropriate?