The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hazard Help

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Alright, I need the community's help on this. For the fic I'm writing, I got bored of all the usual natural hazards and tried to come up with freaky, bizzare, and unusual hazards that have enough of a scientific basis that they'd pass without breaking suspension of disbelief. That said, a lot of them sound really, really bizzare to my own ears, and I'm wondering which I should cull and which I should keep. So please, vote for the one these concepts that you would find the least believable or least interesting in a land before time fanfic. You can choose up to three choices. Thanks in advance!

1. A Cordicepts fungus that can infect a mammalian host by entering the nasal passages and attaching to the amygdela, creating a zombie-like host that's will attack anything it sees until it itself dies.
2. A plant with bulbous leaf sacs filled with a symbiotic bacteria similar to gut bacteria. Photosynthetic products are fed to the bacteria, which produce gaseous carbons for the plant to put back into photosynthesis. The plant culls the bacteria for energy via Venus-flytrap style digestive enzymes as an alternative energy storage mechanism. Because of this, this plant is edible to carnivores, and repugnant to herbivores.
3. A species of carnivorous amphibian that has grown to colossal size, and dwells in cave habitats filled with crocodile-sized amphibians (which is it's main food source).
4. An area in a desert that has historical reserves of dry ice within it's soil. This area also has a thin layer of top soil that contains a yeast that has adapted a fermentation cycle that specifically produces acetone as it's major byproduct. The acetone is expelled, and when it comes in contact with the dry ice in the soil, it freezes the soil -78 degrees Celsius. Because this process is being perpetuated by the yeast, the soil remains frozen even in the hot sun. (The yeast is adapted itself to survive in this temperature)
5. A lake area where lighting strikes on an average of once per hour. The area has a physical landscape and a climate similar to the Catatumbo basin in Venesuela, which also has an enormous concentration of lighting strikes each year.
6. A canyon (in actuality a hollowed volcano) made almost entirely of obsidian and volcanic glass, making it full of razor sharp rocks and black sand.
7. A tribe of flateeth that have been trapped in an incredibly inhospitable environment for generations. Instead of dying out from a lack of plants, they've turned to carnivory, making them feral, flatooth meat eaters which act just like sharpteeth.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think number 1. The idea of an unknown infection spreading is very good.  :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
1 is great indeed  :lol

but 2 and 4 are interesting as well( I wonder, what your fic'll be like :p)
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are plenty of fanfiction with zombielike stuff already (and admittedly I am always very sceptic about the inclusion of the kind of plot elements we would probably never see in an LBT movie).
I think I would like idea number 6 the most. Maybe it can also be combined with the equaly interesting scenario number 5?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Cull 4. Unlike the others, 4 fails at thermodynamics. At mid-latitudes dry ice simply cannot form on Earth. Even if Earth didn't have any atmosphere to offer any kind of greenhouse effect, its average temperature would still be -18 ?C. Underground temperatures could conceivably reach below -78 ?C near the poles in a climate that is much colder than that of today (in our time the lowest recorded underground temperatures on Earth are in the -57/-56 ?C range, under 45 meters of ice near the Antarctic Pole of inaccesibility; below and above that depth it only gets warmer).
The problem is, however, that most or all of the Mesozoic had a warmer climate than today. But let's assume the plot takes place in an ice age in the Mesozoic. There is no evidence of ice ages in the Mesozoic, but for at least some periods, like the early Triassic, ice ages cannot be conclusively ruled out.

So, we have a desert on the northern or southern extreme of Pangaea during an ice age. We can expect an extremely cold and arid climate. We must make it like Antarctica. Solar radiation is low, and planetary carbon dioxide levels are extremely low as well.

How do the plot's protagonists, if they are anything more complex than a fungus, survive in such an environment, or in a neighboring environment? The atmosphere brings oxygen from the productive regions in the mid-latitudes, and nothing else. There's no precipitation, and not enough sun and carbon dioxide for plants to grow. How do the protagonists end up in such a place? You don't get lost and end up in such a place by accident. Going there can only occur as a deliberate attempt at suicide.

But OK, let's assume that summer in such a place actually isn't unbearable. You can walk outside, and there will be frozen carbon dioxide beneath the ground left over from winter. For some reason the protagonists are here. The only native lifeforms are communities of fungi and algae that survive against all odds.

Here's the ultimate problem. How much biomass is there per square meter? How much acetone can the fungi produce per square meter in a year?

If we assume the fungi are in continuous contact with the dry ice, comparing with biota living in similar environments, like the Ross desert on Antarctica, we can expect a net ecosystem productivity of carbon of 3 milligrams per square meter per year or less. That would mean about 5 milligrams of acetone per square meter per year. This is such a small amount as to be inconsequential. This can't freeze anything.

However, if we assume that during the summer the fungi are shielded from the dry ice by soil, and start churning out rapidly acetone, and as the acetone contacts the dry ice and freezes they enter a dormant state, then we could reach the productivity of southern Atacama (the wetter part of the desert). Something like 10 grams of organic matter per square meter per year. Even if all of it is acetone, it is still very far from producing a nasty burst of cold to a victim.

As for the other possibilities you named, Loyfe, I can't find any obvious flaws with them.

Well, 6 is iffy, but I'm not in the mood to check it right now.  ;)

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Wow, impressive research, jan! I take it you're a bio major as well?  :DD
Yeah I always knew 4 was the least plausible, but I was hoping maybe the story effect would outweigh the hokey science. It would have also included mirages from the extreme temperature difference of the soil and the air. A lot of pseudo science to create an effect that would make the land seem haunted.
I will say, though, that NSP isn't a huge issue here: although we can compare that productivity rating to an extant species of that temperature does not mean it is the maximum possible yield of any biological pathway at that temperature. It's easy to argue that an extinct organism held a pathway capable of producing greater yields than what currently exists, especially considering it's actively causing the temperature increase (and given this is a chemically produced temperature, the range of variation in temperature from this reaction would be very small, so you could further argue that the organism is enacting a strange, exothermic homeothermy. The Ross, while very cold, changes temperature through out the year, and the organisms have to adapt to that, while this hypothetical organism would only have to adapt to a small range around one temperature.)
The dry ice part, however, you completely got me. I suppose I can says he site had a meteor collision which deposited dry ice, but 1) I don't know if meteors, comets, or space debris produces dry ice 2) even if they did, I can't see it surviving atmospheric entry, 3) it would sublimate away pretty quickly even if it did make it to the surface, which means no time for local fauna to adapt.  

And of course, thanks for everyone else's suggestions as well. I'm taking all your thoughts into consideration. You guys rock!  :DD

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
To be honest, I don't see why you should just settle with one - you could have a combination of quite a few!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm a little confused on how you want us voting in this poll. :confused  Do you want us to vote on the one we like the most, or the one we think makes the least sense?

I would agree with Malte, 5 and 6 sound like the most plausible ideas for realism, while 1 would be the least. I can't decide which one I like best, but 5 and 6 would be my top picks.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
agree, Dosu. I'm not saying only one of these are gonna show up. I just can't have too many, because it cheapens each hazard if they come one after another after another, like beads on a string. So, I'm deciding which I want to devote series of chapters to and which I want to axe.

And yeah, I agree, Chronicler, I probably should have made it a little clearer.

Either way, I think I have a good idea by now of which I want to keep. Thanks for your help, everybody!