The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Appreciated Member Award voting 2013

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And here comes the final round of the Award voting this year.
The appreciated member award can be won only by those who participated in the vote on the previous seven awards but were not elected for an award themselves. The Appreciated Member Award is also meant to honor the plenty contributions without which the GOF wouldn't even exist even though they do not necessarily fit into any of the categories of the other seven awards.
Also note that anyone who has skipped two votes of the first seven categories must vote in the appreciated member Award to qualify for an award (either one previously won (Iris, I am talking to you ;)) or for the Appreciated Member award if elected (do you hear me LettuceBacon&Tomato ;)). Concerning the runner up of the Appreciated Member Award the same rules apply as in case of the first seven awards.
The voting will run till the end of Saturday August 31st and the awards (all of them) will then be officially issued on Sunday September 1st.

These are the candidates who can be elected in this year's Appreciated Member Award vote (and darn, I thought the appreciated member award vote would be easier for fewer candidates to pick from but with these candidates I'll seriously have to give it more thought and the decision will be very tough indeed):

Cancerian Tiger
jansenov
LBTDiclonius
LettuceBacon&Tomato
Littlefoot1616
LoyfeCycleProtector (1)
Pterano (3)
The Anonymous Person
The Chronicler (2)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 27 2013 on  12:26 PM
Also note that anyone who has skipped two votes of the first seven categories must vote in the appreciated member Award to qualify for an award (either one previously won (Iris, I am talking to you ;)) or for the Appreciated Member award if elected (do you hear me LettuceBacon&Tomato ;)).
Of course ;) This is one award which I will always vote for even though it may also be the most difficult one.

I think in the end I'll have to go for The Chronicler. Everyone on this list has been contributing to the Gang of Five and is an awesome member in my eyes. The Chronicler never really stands out or asks for attention on the Gang of Five. He stays in the background and only voices his opinion when it's necessary... But this may just be what I appreciate so much about him! He's always friendly, greeting new members and wishing others happy birthday. He's been around for a long time. His posts are always well thought through and sensible. He also reviewed more fanfictions for this year's awards than was necessary, which is always a welcome contribution.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I also have to go with The Chronicler. I appreciate how he always helps me keep the Geography Game alive.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
I'm a candidate? Yayz!

My vote was a rather tough one, since all of the members listed here deserves to be appreciated as much as I. Luckily, I think I've got it covered. I had started a thread on the "General LBT" section about five or six months ago over what would happen if the LBT characters broke the fourth wall. This member (who was pretty much a newbie here at the time) and I started a possible discussion for a fanfic in that thread, which I liked the idea of. Although it never actually got made, I am glad that this member was able to contribute to this thread, along with several other threads that exist here. For that LoyfeCycleProtector gets my vote.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
All those members (except myself) are really underappreciated, but I'll have to go with Pterano in the end. He's very fun to read and talk to, and is always considerate and open, which has earned him quite a few close friends here.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, I'm on there!

In this case, I'll have to go with Pterano as well. He's always helpful and you can always talk to him quite easily. If you have a problem, he'll always be there, and take time out of his schedule to help you.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
....Annnd the pressure's back on :o
No rest for the weary, eh?

Well, my vote for the Appreciated Member is someone who I heard about before I even signed up for the GoF, someone who's fantastic fanfiction brought me here (more like yanked with an undeterrable force :smile). This member has been such a pleasure to chat with and I'm very thankful to consider him a friend.
My vote goes to Pterano (the user)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
My vote goes to Pterano.

In the past 2 years i've known him, He's been lots of fun for me to talk to. He's been very helpful, always there to talk to, and can be a lot of fun. I love his fanfic pteranodon "Norton", and he and I not only have fun on the GOF, but we really love talking and cracking funny jokes with each other on Skype, too. (If we were both pteranodons, we'd laugh our beaks off! :D) He's very considerate, very open in conversations, and is an excellent listener, too.

(Plus, Pterano, **along with Struteggstealer** are my 2 most favorite people that I love to talk with on Skype, personally. ;))

Hands (and wings) down, :D for the 2013 Appreciated Member Award, I vote for Pterano.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Undoubtly, I appreciate everyone who helps us LBT Fans keeping this forum and the whole franchise alive. But who is the most appreciated member?

Cancerian Tiger is a friendly member who really keeps discussions alive staying fair and accepting if she's wrong and she's always willing to prevent arguments :)

I appreciate jansenov for his general wisdom. On top of that, he helped me with something really important what stays unnamed here.

LBTDiclonius is a very friendly and welcoming person so I thank her for her general friendly attitude that keeps the GoF the friendliest place on the web I know :) I'd really like to get to know this member better :yes

LB&T also helps the community with his contributions to the discussions, certain games and the RP section.

Littlefoot1616 is one of the most friendly and altruistic people I've ever met. Besides, his proofreading helps me to improve my english grammar as well as my writing style :) Thanks Jason!

LoyfeCycleProtector always writes well-thought posts not only in the RP's he's in :) His ideas are always great and very useful for which I appreciate him a lot :)

Pterano, like many others, keeps the discussions (and specially the controversial ones) alive and is just a great person to have around. I hope I can get to know him a little better on Skype :)

The Anonymous Person especially contributes to the GoF with his humourful and often hillarious posts in the games and the captions. Besides, he's always friendly to everyone :)

The Chronicler is really helpful in the discussions and his contributions to the games (specially to the Geography Game) are always good.

So you see everyone to be elected for is appreciated... It was a difficult decision but I eventually made a decision: My vote goes to The Anonymous Person with Loyfe and Littlefoot1616  close behind :exactly
Inactive, probably forever.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
A tough one this category. Hard to pick one out of so many deserving members. But, after some pain-staking thought, I've come to one.

Everyone deserves to be recognised as an Appreciated Member but I feel that this member needs a little more recognition for their commitment to the forum and all the good it stands for. Helpful to others, an excellent fanfic author, supplies plentiful and meaningful conversation and feedback to many areas of the forum and generally just a nice person in all regards. He's been with us a while (since 2007) and his contributions are both welcoming and respected. I'm vote goes to The Chronicler ;)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Considering who there is to chose from this year, my vote for the Appreciated Member Award will be for jansenov. His unbiased views on various discussion topics are always a welcome sight, especially with recent talk about how the After Midnight section has lately been perceived as unpleasant. The latest example being in the Fukushima topic, where he calmly explained in accurate detail why some members' fears were simply blown out of proportion. Yet, he also stated that he was against the use of nuclear power. That, to me, is an excellent example of the kind of factual, unbiased stance that I really appreciate from this member.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm going to vote for Jansenov as well, citing The Chronicler's reasons.  He's unbaised, helpful, and overall a stabilizing influence in almost any discussion he involves himself in.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I found making a decision so unnervingly difficult that for a while I acutally did consider skipping that one, feeling that I couldn't really give a fair vote on this one and in the end I can only do so on the premissis that it is not meant to state that all the others were less deserving. In case of Jason (Littlefoot1616) who is as awesome as anyone can ever be in helping, caring and just being the kind of "Bestest Friend" they are singing about in LBT 10 we already agreed that I'm going to give him a bouquet or a bottle next time we meet instead of a vote here ;)
It made my day jansenov when you showed up on Skype again after a longer break. I enjoy our chats a lot and am looking forward to the next one.
You Chronicler have done so much over the years and been so selflessly helpful to me this year with your telling me about and sending me pictures of your Gettysburg visit. For this as well as for your long term being with the GOF always contributing so much to the community without ever comming across as showy or imposing (in any negative sense of the word) and without having thus far received an award for all this I finally made up my mind. My vote for the Appreciated Member Award goes to The Chronicler.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Good grief. Has the decision for the Appreciated Member Award ever been this tough? :blink: (Probably yes; I just can’t remember it. :p) All of these people have . Jansenov is an invaluable contributor to countless discussions. Pterano is unfailingly kind and supportive even when he is enduring adversity in his own personal life. Cancerian Tiger is an admirable role model and all-around great person. LBTDiclonius is surely the most polite, fair-minded, and good-natured “monster with horns” I have ever known. :P: Littlefoot1616 is one of the nicest people I can imagine having as an admin (his only competitors for this superlative being the GOF’s other admins :p). Most of the other candidates I do not know so well, :oops but have great respect for them and their contributions to the forum nonetheless.

My final decision for the Appreciated Member Award is a member who is a good friend of mine; one who has probably been on this forum longer than anyone else on this list save for Littlefoot1616 (nearly six years!), and yet in all that time has never received so much as a runner-up banner in any of the main award categories. Polite and welcoming, never confrontational, infinitely patient (especially when it comes to waiting for fanfiction feedback from me :oops), consistently active, posts sparingly but puts a lot of thought into what he says, this is a member who lies low, but contributes to the forum immensely. I think it is high time that The Chronicler be chronicled in the GOF Member Hall of Fame. ;)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, at least there won't be a tie at this point. I was growing rather worried about that as it seemed more and more likely. I would've gladly conceded any tie to the Chronicler anyway, as I wouldn't want to hold up voting in some tiebreaker for the rest of the members who are eagerly awaiting their awards. :)

I think I've finally narrowed down my choice as well. It came down to two members, and I was just barely able to choose one over the other. I really didn't want to vote in this, because my vote this year only by the slimmest of margins edged out the other one.

I considered LBTDiclonius, Cancerian Tiger, and Jansenov for my top three. The others I unfortunately just don't know well enough, but I feel they are truly under-appreciated here, and all deserve recognition in their own way for contributing the way they do on this forum.

Ultimately, my vote goes to Jansenov. I really have to laud him for continuously keeping his cool in the AM section and being able to dispassionately explain his point of view and keep things very scientific and logical without treading on anyone's toes. That's a gift that I'm afraid causes me such paralytic terror that I'm more often than not not trusting my own ability to create such posts, and I truly respect and admire him for this.

Cancerian Tiger was a very close second though. She's an overall wonderful member, and her posts are always a joy to read. I find myself similar to her in a lot of ways, both in mentality and life situations. It was with great debate that I only was able to make this vote in the very end, and I rather didn't like having to plunge in and cast my final ballot, because I didn't want to be unfair to all these wonderful members who do deserve recognition, but alas, when I narrowed it down by just the narrowest of margins, I knew I should probably go ahead and just vote. Congratulations to all the nominees regardless. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Voting for the Appreciated Member Award is now closed!

And that wraps up the GOF Member Award 2013! Congrats to all those who won an award and a big thanks to all those who were kind enough to offer such wonderful words of praise in their votes! :D

Thanks it for another year folks! Thanks again! ;)