The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Ptyra

Ptyra · 115 · 8291

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And, what do you think makes a character a mary sue?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
1. Geeez, I don't remember :o

2. When a crazy fangirl attempts to make the PUUUURRRFECT girlfriend for a pre-existing character and tries to make her PURFECT as possible, perhaps including an angsty past and ridiculus talents. There are more ways, but I cannot list them all :lol

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What was the inspiration behind The Great Valley Rebellion?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It was based on some fan episodes I wrote.
The first had the TV Gang (plus Guido and Tricia) finding Pterano in the Mysterious Beyond and learning that he is not (personally) afraid of Red Claw and that he is trying to find out what Red Claw's motives were.

The second was a random Fastbiter invasion that Pterano broke his banishment in to save Petrie's mother.

I eventually started to like an idea of putting an end to Red Claw's reign and I got a lot of ideas from the last Guardians of Ga'Hoole book, such as massive groups uniting against Red Claw.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ I read the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series myself last month. What were your opinions of it?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I really enjoyed it up until after the eighth book. Once (Spoilers here) Nachtmagen came about and the possibility of Nyra being a hagsfiend, it started to get a little "blah". And Mrs. Plithiver appeared less and less and she was my favorite character (She only had one scene in the last book and it was VERY disappointing).

There is a spin-off series about the Dire Wolves now and...no. Just no. There are enough stories about dogs as the heroes as it is! I'd much rather see a spin-off story about Soren's parents...and a young Mrs. Plithiver.
(When she addresses herself as "Mrs. Horace Plithiver", I think that she's using her full married name)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, too (though for me the series began to go "blah" even earlier, after the focus shifted off of the Band and Nyroc/Coryn became the central character).

Weird question, but I can’t help but be curious: why do you color your post text orange, and is there any reason for that color in particular? :p

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
On another message board, I color in green For reasons I don't completely remember, but it became my 'special color' (there's another member who colors in purple). Green looked really strange with the background when I first came, so I used orange.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A couple days ago, you posted in the "favorite character pairings" topic. When I read it, I noticed that you had four for Bionicle (that was more than anything else you had in that post, even LBT, which you had three).

Edit: here's the post I'm referring to:http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...dpost&p=9174998

That inspired me to ask you a few questions. When did you first hear about Bionicle? How closely do you follow the story? Have you ever bought any of the sets and if yes, which ones (that you can recall)?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was first introduced when it first came out. My brothers got the original toa canisters for Christmas. Now, for the longest time, I wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with the series until Mask of Light came out. That changed my mind and I got Gali Nuva for Christmas. I stuck around until after the Visorak storyline and then I got bored.

For 06 Christmas, my brothers and I got the big ol' boxed set containing Roodaka, Sidorak, and Keetongu.

I wrote some incredibly strange fanfictions revolving around Makuta and Roodaka's daughter (as well as everyone else's), Gali as an octomom, and me and my boyfriend and best friend in the Universe.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why exactly do you hate dirty/unfair fights in movies?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Most of the time, it's because they get quite annoying, especially when they bad guy does it. It's like cheating on a video game/board game. Annoying as heck. That, and would any SMART villain do that? It could easily be a stupid move.

That and unfair fights keep them from getting tired. Once you get tired, then unfair moves can technically be fair, such as D'Artagnan stabbing Rouchfort in their climatic battle at the end of the Four Musketeers. They were both exhausted...enough that D'Artagnan fainted after defeating Rouchfort.

*sigh* I miss the good 'ol days of sword fighting when you could actually see what was going on and when folks would get wiped out.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Mar 21 2010 on  07:40 PM
Most of the time, it's because they get quite annoying, especially when they bad guy does it. It's like cheating on a video game/board game. Annoying as heck. That, and would any SMART villain do that? It could easily be a stupid move.

Better question is why a villian who shoots/stabs the hero midspeech (classic cheap shot) is not smart? To me, that sounds like a good decision: attack when the enemy is occupied.

And one other movie dirty fighting question: do you prefer heroes who fight fair or heroes who resort to any means to defeat the villian including unfair/cheap fighting tactics

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Things like that are an excellent point, though. I knew there were definitely some exceptions, but then again, either of them could be stabbed/shot while the villain is making a monologue.

It really would depend on the hero, but in REALLY dire times, the second may be better. I'm going to use Musketeers as my example again XD . D'Artagnan took the advantage of his enemy being totally exhausted when he "killed" him (Graagh...why Return of the Musketeers?! WHY!? To make Villain Sue an even bigger Villain Sue?!). Usually, I would prefer the first, but the second could save his life.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hope you don’t mind a couple more questions regarding Mary Sues. :oops

In your art thread, you mentioned that you were beginning to see hints of Mary Sue in Ada and Ptyra. Perhaps I do not fully understand the concept of a Mary Sue, but I was wondering how so.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not really sure how I think they are "Mary Sues", but Ptyra certainly DID start off that way when I was eight years old (I made a joke about her first version on my art thread).

At the moment, I am really tired so I can't put my thoughts straight. I guess the best way to put it is that in some ways, they seem very...difficult...to make a GOOD story for WITHOUT making them clique characters. Things happen when you think you've created a really good character, but then they seem to be part of the "OMG! THEES IZ MAH FAN CHAR!!!" group.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There is a link to help with marysues that I saw a while ago.  If you like I could search for it (if it's still there) and link it up to you, to help when you make a story for your characters to prevent them from becoming Marysues?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You mean like the limitus test or something else? Either way, I'd sure like the help :) . You can send it

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I noticed you asked me a similar question in my "ask me" thread, so I wanted to ask you:

Was it okay for me to put my LBT short stories in the Pterano Club? It had Pterano ALL in them, so I hope it is okay.  :unsure: