The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mythbusters

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Man, that view of the Earth from 70,000 feet was amazing!  Adam is also VERY lucky.  Many people on reddit are jealous of him.  Not surprising.  I am too!

Considering the amount of training you have to go through just to be a passenger on the U-2, I feel that it is a difficult plane to fly.  Whether it's THE most difficult is still up for debate, but it is a solid contender for that ranking.

As for the drone one.  At least the common commercial out of the box one are pretty safe.  You'll probably feel pain from one of those, but that's it.  Those that carry heavier stuff, though.  I see a lawsuit in the near future.  The myth being plausible is a scary thing.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lot's of deadly carnage in this week's episode. Can a regular lawnmower fling a rock with a force similar to a bullet? Can a pane of glass falling from an office building slice a person in half?

After that, Jaime decided to ramp things up a lot and built the "lawnmower from hell". I'm honestly not sure whether to find that awesome or terrifying.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Aug 2 2015 on  07:30 PM
After that, Jaime decided to ramp things up a lot and built the "lawnmower from hell". I'm honestly not sure whether to find that awesome or terrifying.
You know, sometimes I question if they are trying to scare the audience.  Because I was definitely scared of that thing.

As with the episode.  It was awesome and terrifying at the same time.  The outcomes were predictable, but still enjoyable nonetheless.  Despite the predictability, I couldn't help but cringe when I saw what happened to the ballistic dummies.

It was indeed an enjoyable episode. :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week's episode featured a pair of driving myths. While driving, is calling on a hands-free device just as dangerous as calling on a regular cellphone? Is a Hollywood-style high-speed chase possible with one (or even both) of the cars going in reverse?

This week's episode had myths involving guns. It is possible to shoot a target through a wall? Can bullets held between your fingers go off and kill someone if you hold your hand over a fire, as seen in (some movie I can't remember)?

Both of them were some pretty good episodes (though I liked the first more than the second).

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's the thing about last week's episode.  I knew what the result was going to be for the cellphone one was.  Bottom line, you are a distracted driver when handling a phone in the car, hands-free or not.  It's the fact that you are distracted is what makes it dangerous.  It's why it's illegal in the first place.  Now, do I feel it was a waste of time?  Of course not!  This is a message that seriously NEEDS to get out there because cell phone usage while driving is still causing a lot of accidents despite the law being made.  So yeah!  Saw it coming, no question asked, but was still worth watching.

The driving backwards one is what really surprised me.  Who knew just one little adjustment is all it took to be good at it?  Wow! :wow

Now, as for this week's episode, it was entertaining.  However, I really didn't get to enjoy it to the fullest because I watched it on a crap player that was having a crap day! :p Yeah, not fun! <_<

I'll rewatch it later to give my full thoughts.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lest week's episode was "unfinished business" (basically another myths revisited special). Can a video game improve any real world skill? Are hollow road spikes more effective than solid ones? How long can you hold a live grenade to prevent it from going off? Can a person fire and reload a pistol as quickly as you see in the movies?

This week's episode was another shark special. Two supposed shark repellents tested were the sound of orcas and the smell of dead sharks. And based on the results from the show's first shark special (shooting a scuba tank won't make it explode, but rather turn it into a rocket), would a rocketing scuba tank be enough to kill a shark?

I really liked the results of these two episodes. Next week will be another Star Wars special.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the video game one, they REALLY dropped the ball there.  This is mainly due to fault as to what they chose.  Golf is FAR more complicated of a game then what can be put into a video game.  I agree with the fans that bowling might have been a better choice.  They'll definitely have to revisit that one.

The rest of last week's myths they got pretty much right.  I really can't complain in the end.

As for this week with sharks, I was surprised that the sounds of killer whales didn't work.  Considering that killer whales are predators to them, I would've expected the sharks to leave if they knew those giants were around.

I'm not surprised by the tank rupturing myth of it not exploding, but they did show you could potentially kill a shark the same way as in the first Jaws, just not get the same result. (And the fact you needed one of the deadliest bullets to pull it off.)

However, I was most surprised with how instantaneous the dead shark repellent was.  What they did with making a feeding frenzy was VERY dangerous and if it didn't work as well as it did, we might have been singing a different tune right now.  To be honest, I was genuinely worried about Adam and Jamie's survival there.  Good thing they made it out unscathed.

Can't wait for next week's Star Wars Special.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week's Star Wars special was rather interesting. Is it possible to dodge (or deflect with a lightsaber) laser bolts fired by Storm Troopers (assuming those guys could even aim :lol: )? And does being on higher ground guarantee victory in a lightsaber duel, as seen in Revenge of the Sith?

No new episode this week, so it looks like that's it for this season. I'll be sure to comment when new episodes come again.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/mythbusters...hoo-rss-vulture

I just found out that the upcoming season of Mythbusters will be the last one. Yes, the show is going to be canceled next year. I don't yet know when the final season will start, but I'll be sure to mention it as soon as I'm aware of it.

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It certainly had a good run. I will miss it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It'll be missed by many, but at least there are all those episodes.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I found a video about the upcoming final season, which will start sometime in January.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbust...s-final-season/

- Berix

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
A part of me died when I learned that MythBusters was ending. :cry Given how generally dispirited and unmotivated I've been these last few weeks, I think the grief is still affecting me. It's more than the end of one of the greatest shows in television history; it's the death of one of the brightest stars in a sky befogged with science illiteracy. Since the axing of Dirty Jobs, MythBusters has been my last reason to pay any attention to the Discovery Channel (excepting the rare Shark Week documentary that purveys something other than fearmongering, sensationalism, and outright propaganda [see Megalodon]). If it was Discovery's choice to end one of their flagship showsóone of their most popular and classic series everóthen I will not be surprised in the slightest if business for them takes a disastrous downward slide. (I've long worried that MythBusters' audience might be decreasing because many of its viewers are the same people who once flocked to Discovery for the science and education programming on which it originally built its reputation, and now that the channel and most of its branch networks are backed up with televisual sludge, they are no longer watching as much.)

I've been watching MythBusters for twelve years, and it has influenced me immensely. I first watched it mainly for its animal myths (indeed, my family first subscribed to cable so that my siblings and I could watch more animal shows), but quickly grew to appreciate the quirky and creative hosts; their unorthodox approach to the scientific method, and their journeys of trial, error, and discovery in search of answers. I soon learned to appreciate the wide variety of subjects they tackled. Over the years, I grew to love the blooming-flower-like beauty of explosions, absorbed more knowledge about physics than I had from my entire grade school education, learned how dozens of familiar devices functioned when I'd never even stopped to think about how they worked, developed a new appreciation for the art of building everything from muppet sharks to paper crossbows, was inspired and empowered to try my hand at constructing unique creations like my azhdarchid costume, became fascinated with animal color perception, was introduced to the hobo dinner, was indirectly tutored in how to speak in the most hilarious pirate voice ever, :lol and had myriads of my long-held impressions and assumptions about reality utterly upended. I saw things on this show that I never imagined were possible, from a lead balloon rising into the air to an elephant recoiling at the sight of a mouse. In short, MythBusters broadened my horizons by an incalculable degree. I weep for future generations if episodes of this amazing show are not regularly rerun, and hope that Discovery at least cares enough to provide MythBusters fans like me with complete, readily accessible copies of episodes, aftershows, and cut material, whether via DVD, YouTube channel, or iTunes downloads.

I have purchased tickets for Jamie and Adam's live stage show "MythBusters Unleashed: Jamie's Farewell Tour" in Minneapolis on November 18. If, by chance, any of my fellow GOFers will be attending the same show, I would love to meet up. In any event, I look forward to seeing the MythBusters in person, and just maybe getting the chance to thank them face-to-face for all the ways they have enriched my life, the lives of what must be hundreds of thousands of other people, and the field of science education.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Even though the upcoming season of Mythbusters will be the last, I doubt it'll be going away anytime soon. I've noticed that the Science Channel (one of Discovery's branch networks) shows reruns every Sunday evening (as well as other shows, including Dirty Jobs, at certain other times of the week). In fact, I recently heard that there will be a mega-marathon on Science showing every single episode of Mythbusters starting on Christmas Eve and lasting for easily more than a week, just like they did last year. The way I see it, Science has simply become a more preferable channel to watch than Discovery, not just because of the greater presence of Mythbusters, but also because of other shows that happen to be rather similar to it in certain ways.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just a heads-up, the first new episode of the final season will be on this coming Saturday, Jan. 2, at 8 p.m.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. :)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, so the episode that was on last night was actually just a preview for the upcoming season. There will be twelve episodes in total, and based on what they showed us in this preview episode, there are definitely going to be some very interesting myths being tested on this final season. I'm not sure what the first episode this coming Saturday will be, but I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing it.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The first episode of the final season was on last night, and it was the "explosion special". Can you safely cross a minefield by riding in a hovercraft? Can a bomb in a mail truck be contained by filling the truck with concrete?

This was quite a fun episode, and I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of this final season.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's new episode featured only one myth, but it was quite an epic one. Can a railway tanker car (after being steam-cleaned, sealed shut, and then cooled rapidly by rainfall) implode? I'm not going to reveal what the result was, but I will say that this episode is definitely now another one of my favorites.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's new episode tested two food-related viral videos. Can you instantly cook shrimp by shooting it out of an air cannon, through the ingredients, and through a large burst of flame? If you set off an explosive underwater next to a piece of fruit, could you then stick a straw into that fruit and drink juice directly from it? Another good episode with some interesting results.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week's episode featured car carnage, apparently with ideas from each of the guys. Adam's idea: Can you lift a car using only the suction of a single household vacuum cleaner? Jamie's idea: Can you flatten a car (without tearing it apart) with explosives? Another good episode worthy of being part of the final season.

- Berix