The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Comet to Closely Pass Mars

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
www.space.com/26309-comet-siding-spring-mars-spacecraft.html

Less than a month ago, a new comet was discovered on its first journey into the solar system. What makes this one significant is that, on October 19 later this year, it is expected to pass very close by to Mars (83,000mi/132,000km), much closer than the Moon is to Earth, close enough for the comet's coma to actually interact with the Martian atmosphere. I don't think there has ever been a comet passing this close to Earth in all of recorded history, so this really is a rare event. Considering all of the space probes currently on or orbiting Mars, this should make for quite a remarkable scientific opportunity.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
So if it does interact could it have a giant altercation?  I don't think of much of a significant change to mars would occur if something like that did happen, but you never know...

I wonder if we could view it from where we stand?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Ohh, this might be the comet I have heard about a while ago!

I am not really sure how much alterations could cause to Mars' atmosphere, but a little alteration in the comet's trajectiry and it may go crash in the planet. Either way it will be a very rare event and much worth gathering as much data as piossible.

thanks for the link! :DD .

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very interesting, thanks for sharing the link.  It will be a rare opportunity to collect data on the disruption of a comet by a planet's gravitational pull.  With five probes either on or circling Mars right now (have we ever had that many operational probes around a planet at one time?  Besides Earth, I mean.) the event will be covered from many different vantage points.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just less than a week left to go now. I can't wait to see what we'll discover from this close encounter between a comet and a planet.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
At this time, the comet's closest approach to Mars was about six hours ago (2:27 EDT). Since it takes some time to process the data from the various space probes around Mars, don't expect any images of that comet to show up until a few days from now. Either way, I'm honestly quite thrilled by this rare event.

- Berix

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It'll be cool to see the images, then.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I look forward to seeing the results of the observations.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope there are some cool images sooner or later.  I wonder if science found out anything new from this.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mars does not have much of an atmosphere, if it did, its possible that the planets gravity could have changed the comets course enough so it would hit. a comet coming that close to earth would be a problem. a comet coming that close to Jupiter would be torn apart and its pieces would impact the planet.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: