The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mythbusters

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week's episode was the "volunteer special", in honor of the thousands of volunteers who have helped to test certain myths over the years. For this episode, What is the least time-consuming method for customers to line up at a grocery store check-out? Myth Revisit: is an ax better than a gun at killing zombies? Plus, is the chainsaw really the mightiest anti-zombie weapon of all?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's episode was the final myths revisited special. Is it faster to drift rather than race normally on a dirt track (as opposed to the results from racing on pavement)? Are these objects bulletproof: a lighter (revisit), and an aquarium? And a tangent of what is bombproof, if you were precisely between to identical explosions, would the two shockwaves cancel each other out and you would feel nothing?

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's episode was all about alternative fuels for rockets. The ones tested were fan-favorite gummy bears, and Jaime's idea of poo. Some very peculiar options with rather interesting results.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm seeing a ton of negative feedback for this episode.  Much of which I'm just not getting.  The fans need to realize that The Mythbusters aren't rocket experts.  If anything, they have a very small understanding of rockets, despite years of using them.  Heck, they had to turn to experts to do the work to make them in the first place.

This is all the reason why I expected them to mess up and wasn't disappointed when they did.  Take it from someone who had to build a rocket as a junior high project. It's not easy.

Oh, and the place I watched it really messed up.  They listed it as "Reddit Special". :slap

I'll make sure to inform them of the proper title.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's episode was the Reddit special, where they took fan suggestions from that site. Do farts appear on a heat imaging camera? Could one of those giant inflatable balls save your life if you were dropped from an aircraft? Is it actually easy to "punch your way out of a paper bag"? Plus, they also created a giant "glitter bomb" out of a large inflatable of Reddit's mascot.

To be honest, I'm completely unfamiliar with Reddit (in fact, I've barely even heard of it until now), so I honestly have no idea how things work there, though I did find these fan suggestion myths to still be interesting.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^The joke they made at the start, "Front Page of the Internet", pretty much sums it up.  The best explanation by far is from CGP Grey.  His take on it video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlI022aUWQQ

As for my thoughts on the episode.  A pretty nice one that I enjoyed quite a bit.  I was even glad to see Buster have his chance to shine one more time for the fans.

So far, this has been one enjoyable season.  Can't wait to see what's next. :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just recently found out that the last few episodes of Mythbusters will be on this coming weekend. On Saturday will be a reunion special and "The Grand Finale" on Discovery. On Sunday, Science Channel will show those two episodes, plus a new duct tape special. This is going to be a very special weekend, so don't miss it.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, it has been a crazy and wild ride!  Thank you Mythbusters for 15 amazing seasons.

How they ended it all was just an amazing episode.  One I'm sure will be embedded into my memory for a long time. :)

Also, great way to send off the one whom has endured the most pain.  RIP Buster.

I'm going to miss this show.  See ya on the Science Channel, Mythbusters. ^^spike

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night on the Science Channel was the new duct tape special. Can duct tape make an effective replacement for a car's seatbelt? Can duct tape be used to build a full scale working trebuchet?

And of course, I also saw the Grand Finale and the reunion special (both on Discovery and on Science, with the reunion special having different versions on the two channels).

The Grande Finale had an exploding RV filmed with the fastest high-speed camera ever at 50,000 frames per second, the ultimate ride down memory lane with a massive truck wedge plowing through a mile of props from all the years of the show, Buster being sent off on a rocket sled through a brick wall, and finally they blew up another cement truck with 5001 pounds of explosives, making it the biggest explosion they've ever done.

And for the reunion special, it was nice to see Kari, Tory, and Grant return so all five of the hosts could talk about what a great impact this show has had on everyone.

All in all, Mythbusters is definitely one of the greatest television shows I've ever seen, and although I'm sad to see it end, I'm just glad that it stuck around for as long as it did, and will continue to remain a very popular show.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now that the holidays have arrived, it's once again time for the Mythbusters mega marathon on the Science Channel. Every single episode of Mythbusters ever from the pilot to the finale is going on right now, just like the previous years. Of course, with the series now officially over, it looks like this annual tradition will no longer become progressively longer over the following years. But still, running from Dec 23 to Jan 3, that's almost two weeks of nonstop Mythbusters!

While I'm commenting here, I'd also like to point out some new shows I've recently heard about. First, there's a new show (only available on Netflix) called "White Rabbit Project" that's hosted by Tori, Kari, and Grant. I haven't yet had a chance to watch any of the episodes yet, so I don't really know what that show's about, but I'll be sure to get around to it soon enough.

Also, as I was watching some old Mythbusters episodes today, I saw an ad for an upcoming show on the Science Channel called "Mythbusters: the Search". From what I saw, it will basically be about ten people competing for a chance to become the "next generation of Mythbusters". I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I'll definitely be watching it when it begins on Jan 7, just two weeks from now.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's a okay show it's not my favorite show at all. I do like the tests they do tho they're pretty cool and awesome to see.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just watched the first episode of Mythbusters: the Search last night. From what I heard at the beginning, it looks like there will be a total of 8 episodes. In each episode, the contestants will be testing two myths, one where they have to work in teams, and one where they have to work as individuals. Also, one of the contestants will have to leave at the end of each episode (so I assume the two who make it to the end will get to become the new co-hosts of Mythbusters).

For the first episode, the team-test myth was to build a working sideways-shooting ejector seat (as seen in one of the Fast & Furious movies), and the individual-test myth was if a slightly deflated football would be easier to catch (from the infamous "deflate-gate" scandal).

I'm not going to spoil the results or who was eliminated at the end, but if you missed it, I'm sure you'll get an opportunity to see it again sometime later this week. And don't forget, each new episode will be on the Science Channel every Saturday at 9 pm.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The second episode was on last night. For this episode, the team-test myth was a revisit of "painting with explosives" (I really liked all the different designs they all came up with), and the individual-test myth was that consuming alcohol makes you more creative. And at the end of the episode, one of the contestants was sent home, so now there will be eight left in next week's episode.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If was quite a good episode I really enjoyed watching there experience.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For this week's episode, the team-test myth was to build a four-person boat out of nothing but cardboard and glue (as an added twist, one team had to build theirs with the people sitting in-line, while the other team had to build theirs with the people sitting two by two), and the individual test myth was if you could shoot someone while blindfolded and relying only on sound to hit the target (this test also showed us how skilled or unskilled the remaining contestants are with handling guns). And at the end of the episode, another contestant was sent home, so now seven remain.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That sounds awesome looking forward to seeing it

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For this week's episode, the team-test myth was a revisit of the classic "needle in a haystack" challenge (both teams came up with some rather interesting designs), and the individual-test myth was if it's possible to quickly free yourself from a pair of handcuffs by using a simple hairpin to pick the lock. And at the end of the episode, another contestant was sent home, so now six remain.

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It was a great episode I enjoyed watching it a lot

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For this week's episode, the team-test myth was, inspired by the A-Team, using nothing but items found in a scrapyard to build a machine that could launch cabbages at some bad guys (both designs were rather impressive), and the individual-test myth was that it's impossible to ride a reverse-steering bicycle more than 12 feet without a lot of practice. Interestingly, no one was sent home this week, so there are still six contestants left (so now we're pretty much right at the halfway point for this miniseries, I assume).

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I saw that episode and was glad no one was hurt and injured during that awesome episode this s week