The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions to Malte

Malte279 · 230 · 21067

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm sorry I am so slow in responding, especially because I really appreciate the question; thank you very much for that :)
However, after such an introduction one would expect a clearer response than I am able to give. I'm always awkward with such superlatives as "favorite... whatever", but there is no denying that the American Civil War is a chapter of history that captured my interest in particular. I feel unable to name one determining factor that sets it apart on my interest scale, but there are quite a few factors that I believe may each have contributed to this.
The American Civil War is but one of many parts of US history which I find especially interesting because they show so well some of the discrepances between ideals and realities in American history. It is not like the Civil War came suddenly up out of nowhere (in spite of the neo-confederate propaganda that interprets it as a sudden rush of aggression from the north fostered by the new republican party) but to study the roots of the Civil War one must go back much further and see which political (e.g. decision to maintain slavery in the new founded US though there were serious attempts to get rid of it in 1776), technological (the cotton gin of 1793 pretty much put an end to the hope (though the claim remained) that slavery would soon outlive itself and disappear on its own accord), legal and other stepping stones were laid out on the way into civil war. Even here we often have the discrepancy between ideals and reality (and they come with some masterpieces of rhetoric). Beside politics and rhetorics there is the sheer brutality of the struggle even before it officially began. Whether we are talking of the frequent abuse of slaves, about senator Preston Brooks clubbing Senator Charles Sumner into unconsciousness inside the US Senate, or about Jayhawkers and Bushwhakers murdering each other in Kansas and elsewhere foreclosing the actual war.
Then there is the actual war of course which in many ways is of particular interest. The dimensions were far beyond anything America had seen up to that point. It was a clash of outdated tactics of marching in close ranks with the very technology that made these tactics obsolete (the minie ball in particular). In many ways the US Civil War can be considered both the last large scale "old war" and the first large scale "modern war". Technology like the telegraph, and railroads played a major role in this war as well as the tactics of "burned soil" which saw horrible come backs in the wars of the 20th century. Many other inventions like the ironclads, submarines repeating rifles, and machine guns saw their first effective use in this war even though in many cases it was more like testing (machine guns for example were used on some occassions but not on a scale that they can be justifiably assumed to have had a significant effect on the outcome of the war).
An additional moment of tragedy is added to the US Civil War by the many cases in which soldiers from both sides knew each other or had even been close friends (having been in West Point together, having fought together in the Mexican War, or even being close relatives).
In spite of the fact that no other nation joined the war (though some clearly allowed for this "distraction of the Americans" to take more aggressive steps in their western hemisphere foreign policy (like the French in Mexico)) it was still a war fought by people from many countries. Newly arrived immigrants who saw no alternative but to become soldiers as well as immigrants who had arrived only years before. There were hundredthousands of Irish and Germans among the armies of the Civil War and also significant groups from other nations.
With all that there is yet another aspect that makes the American Civil War interesting, namely the fact that on a different level it is still going on. The struggle for the interpretation of the war is far from over. Lies like for example the claim that slavery had "nothing to do with the Civil War" become ever more accepted among certain groups especially if true points (like the fact that only about a quarter to a fifth of the population in the south owned slaves) are added to it to allow for the lie to appear more credible. The modern interpretations and falsifications of this war (often fostered by the "lost cause") are a very current topic, especially if one takes a look at how the war is presented, glorified and falsified in the movies which more than anything else seem to influence the view of people about the war these days.
These are some reasons why I am interested in the Civil War, but same as with LBT I don't have one ultimate decisive reason. A very interesting question though :yes

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you ever been to Gettysburg or experienced the US Civil War museum?

Because of your high interest in history. do you play any civilization building games like Age of the Empires, Rise of Nations, or the Civilization series?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi Caustizer and thanks for the question. :)
I haven't actually been on any US Civil War battlefields myself. The only US states I have ever seen are Minnesota (where I spent my students exchange) and short trips to Iowa, North and South Dakota. I wish I was able to visit some of the historic sites (and especially so now during the time of commemorative events occasioned by the 150th anniversaries), but I lack the financial means at this time :(

I did indeed play every single one of the games you named (in case of Civilization it was the original and number III and IV, in case of Age of Empires the first two). I enjoy playing these games, but of course, they are games and therefore not exactly to be treated as historical sources on the times they are about but rather about our own times :lol
They can have the positive effect of stirring up interest and provide a few core names or vaguely historical facts which one may end up researching about later on. I admit for example that my first ever introduction to admiral Yi Sun-sin and the Korean turtle ships was through the Conquerers expansion of Age of Empires II (I must admit though that my knowledge of far eastern history is to this day deplorably close to nonexistent) ;)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wanna know how was your trip with your other Admins?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not really back yet. Just ‡ short stop at Gus' placera allowing us to post ‡ little but we are heading for Stockholm now. I'm not regularly back until NeXT thursday.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Malte, I did actually find out the answer to my question as to why Music that is allowed on YouTube is blocked from Germany.  Turns out your government got greedy.  You see, along the way to pulling this all off, (making copyright music legally available for streaming in as many countries as possible in the world) the music industry ran into a little hurdle.  Turns out, Germany wanted a certain amount of money for every time someone in their country watched a video that contained copyrighted music.  It was such a ridiculous amount, that it was more of a loss than a gain to set up legal streaming for that country.

Streaming doesn't pay much for it's views.  You need to be successful rather quickly for it to work. (If you set it up and so that no ads are displayed, you would need 100,000 views in one month just to pay for rent and food alone.  Ads vary in the amount they pay, so it's questionable there.) The real dough comes in the ads that are displayed.  As annoying as they are, they're the only way you have a chance at making money off of YouTube.

They would need to be VERY successful in Germany in order for the amount they demanded at hand to work, and looking at the percentage of views at the time, chances were it wasn't going to even come close to working out.  So, with that in mind, they cut their losses and blocked Germany from nearly all music. (The ONLY ones allowed are unmodified Public Domain tracks, and no one makes money off of that.)

I can't remember the amount they demanded, but I do remember it being quite ridiculous.  So yeah, if you want to know why, your government got greedy there.

Anyways, onto my real question at hand...

I'm sure you have noticed the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Thread in The Fridge Section of the Forums.  Have you checked out the show yourself?  I find it quite good and enjoy it myself, despite the fact it's meant for little girls.  I'm not that ashamed that I like it, to be honest. (To be more honest, a lot of older males like the show apparently.)

Now if only I had the courage to tell my parents how much I like the show.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wanna ask you what kinds of music do you like?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure you have noticed the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Thread in The Fridge Section of the Forums. Have you checked out the show yourself? I find it quite good and enjoy it myself, despite the fact it's meant for little girls. I'm not that ashamed that I like it, to be honest. (To be more honest, a lot of older males like the show apparently.)
I noticed the thread, though I didn't pursue it. I read a bit on Wikipedia, but it really isn't my cup of tea.
I wanna ask you what kinds of music do you like?
Most of the music I am listening to are songs I associate something with. Most of this is instrumental music (in many cases from movie soundtracks). In other cases there are songs which I associate with events in my life if the music was played at a time. As for the styles of music, I can say that I by far prefer the kind of music that has a discernable and imitable (imitable as in being able to sing, hume or whistle the melody) melody over music that does not.
I am generally not particularly fond of loud, electronic, metal music and most of what is played on the radio over here these days.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Unfortunately not. I left Europe two times only. Once I was too young to remember (Tunesia when I was just about a year old or so) and the second time was my students exchange to Minnesota back in 2002.
I haven't ever seen the Pacific Ocean.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hi Malte,

I'm not sure if you know this already or not, and if you don't, would you perhaps be willing to do a bit of research for me on this? I've been trying to find out if Gerhard von Scharnhorst had any children. Unfortunately, English sources are pretty bare-bones on this topic, though so far I have managed to locate at least one son and one daughter that he had. I cannot unfortunately find the name of his wife, nor if he had any other children or not. Would you happen to know if he did?

If you can find this out, I'd also like to know their birth years and names, if at all possible. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
His oldest son was Wilhelm von Scharnhorst (*16th February 1786 + 13th June 1854). Curiously this son of Scharnhorst was married to Agnes, a daughter of August Neidhardt von Gneisenau. They had a son named August (1821-1875) who died without any children (thus ending the male line descended from Gerhard von Scharnhorst.
Gerhard von Scharnhorst however also had a daughter, Julie von Scharnhorst (1788-1827) who apparently also had descendants who did not have the name Scharnhorst anymore.
Gerhard von Scharnhorst was married to Clara Christiana Johanna Schmalz (*5th May 1762 + 12th February 1803).

While researching this (no, of course I didn not know all the dates by heart :lol) I came across this PDF file which you may find interesting. It is a genealogy of Scharnhorst that includes his descendants (from page 22 onwards). The file is in German, but since most of it is names, dates, and places it may be possible for you to make sense of it. Vorfahr = ancestor, Nachfahr = descendant.
It appears that some of his descendants life not far from where I life (a part of the town where I was born is named after Scharnhorst by the way).

Thank you very much for the question :)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And thank YOU very much for answering! :DD This is quite informative, and definitely what I was looking for! Thanks so much for this! I've been doing some passing research on the Prussian military, and Scharnhorst in particular, but couldn't find much about his descendants or his family in general, so this helps rather immensely!

Fascinating too that some of his descendants live rather close to you. :yes Also very interesting that his son married Gneisenau's daughter. I find that surprising, yet it probably made sense for them to enter into such a marriage at the time.

Once again, thanks so much for this! :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You said you were working on an LBT fanfiction that featured how Ruby and Chomper met each other. How is your progress on that story? I'm very interested in reading it. :yes

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your interest. Unfortunately I got to admit I haven't been working on it in ages so it is still in the first chapters of the first part of what would be a trilogy.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hello Amy :)
People are used to me telling about the ammounts of work I am dealing with (usually to the effect of keeping me high spirited) but these days it is a little too much. At the moment I am working as a substitute teacher at a school in the morning that is for students who didn't get a regular school degree at a regular school or none that would allow them to study at a university. Consequently students there are a rather mixed lot with a good number of them being motivated and a joy to teach but also a number who seem to be there mostly because they are being forced by somebody. Throughout the last week I had to let the students of 9 classes (some 180 total) take tests and correct them. In addition to that I am also holding presentations in the evening at the adult education center and I enjoy holding these presentations a lot, but of course it takes a lot of time to prepare them. Add to that the organizing work for the impending university semester (by which time I will not be able to continue the school job in full length (having no teacher's degree from the university I don't get full pay or any social security measures from the job). So it all is a little too much at the moment which is why I think my activity (as in writing myself rather than just reading) on the GOF dropped a little in the last days.
This weekend there will be the celebration of my sisters 30th birthday :)
I am looking very much forward to it, but it also means that there won't be much time to just relax for a moment before the next week starts.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Have you ever been to Bavaria recently?  If so, how does it look these days?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for the question.
Last time I was in Bavaria was back in 2005 or 2006 when a sister of my father's wife had her silver wedding (25th wedding anniversary). The sky in Bavaria is blue (provided there are no clouds) and the grass tends to be green :p
M¸nchen (Munich) is a rather interesting town and I enjoyed the "Deutsche Museum" a lot (a museum comparable to the Science museum in London. For some reason people abroad (especially in the US with Bavaria being the most prominent part of the US zone after WW2) often think of Bavaria when thinking of Germany. To some degree Bavaria is Germany's Texas though, the most conservative part of the country. Their main soccer (football) team "Bayern M¸nchen" has been badly beaten up recently by "Borussia Dortmund", the team from the town where I was born (these days I almost regret being not very interested in soccer :lol) so at least for the soccer fans there it may look a little gloomy these days.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
What might have happened if Hitler was assinated before coming to power?