The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hello

Saft · 56 · 4283

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Gang of Five! :wave

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I use to like reading fantasy.  I use to read some Agatha Christie as a kid.  I saw some of her books made into video on the PBS mysteries series & saw and read Sherlock Holmes stuff quite a bit.

I like reading about some of those non fiction subjects too now and then.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you for the welcomes Drake and The Chronicler.

Kor:The only fantasy that I actually enjoy reading is The Lord of the Rings (anything by Tolkien generally).  

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read a lot of Tolkein middle earth, but not for some years.  There are some others who have also.   The primary books I've read a lot of many years ago were the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarilion, and unfinished tales.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I would like to be a historian one day, perhaps studying in the 'field' of either Roman or Egyptian academics.
Oh boy, we share a passion Saft! :)
These days I'm writing the final work of my history studies at the university. I hope to get a job at the university aiming to become a professor one day. I admit that the focus on my historical studies has been mostly on modern history, but this is not for disinterest in the medieval or ancient days, but rather because of the difficulties imposed by those ages documents being in Latin, a language of which I never quite got the hang.
But there is so much of interest about the Roman and Egyptian culture and so much left to be discovered. Just very recently history of the Romans in what is today Germany has been turned upside down by the discovery of a hitherto unknown battlefield which proves that the Romans were still present in large numbers in the first half of the third century, a time by which it had been assumed they had long retreated behind the Limes...
I'm sorry, I'm holding lectures I haven't been asked for. I sometimes can't help it :lol
In any case I think we have more than one common interest and I'm looking forward to have you here in the GOF.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Don't apologise (quite ironic isn't it, that I apologise in one thread...ah well) for giving a lecture.  I don't mind lectures.  As an Aspie, I talk about or lecture people about my subject in great detail.  

What university are you at and also how long have you been attending the courses?  I am interested since I wish to go to university some time next year (hopefully) and I'd like to know more about the history courses that I would take (and also the process).  

I like latin, I can read and understand the meaning.  Just can't speak it.  Like with my german and french.  Although my german is the weaker language of the two.  I  prefer latin though, wish people would speak it nowadays.  Alas, I feel as though I was born in the wrong century.  

My interest is the society, mostly women (me being a 'woman' myself) I hold great interest in their daily lives and activites.  

I'd also be interested being a paleologist, but I dislike the outdoors.  I'd like to go to Nuchatel here in Switzerland, a prehistoric museum based where one of the Big 'Al's reside.  Big Al (allosaurus).  As, my favourite dinosaur is an allosaurus I think it would be fantastic.  Sadly, my family (although my Dad enjoys it too) which is mostly my sister and mother do not like the whole history aspect.  

Oh dear, I'm typing a long biography here....

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ita alright Saft. BTW, you can reply to the LOTr thread any time. I happen to be a history major myself, with a particulasr interest in American, and Naxi-era German history.. I wrote a college paper on Hitler's decison to declare war on the Us after Pearl Harbor, when he was under no obligation to do so.. Anyway, I'm lecturing as well here :D
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,Feb 23 2009 on  02:27 AM
I like latin, I can read and understand the meaning.  Just can't speak it.  Like with my german and french.  Although my german is the weaker language of the two.  I  prefer latin though, wish people would speak it nowadays.  Alas, I feel as though I was born in the wrong century.
Heh, i know that feeling so well. I love reading latin above any language like french of german, it got some nice feelings towards me.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
So we share the "vice" of apologizing too quickly as well. I appreciate the irony of me telling you not to apologize for not doing any harm and then proceeding to apologize also for a trivial cause :lol
I'm going to the Ruhruniversit‰t in Bochum / Germany and I'm in my ninth semester now (which will be my last if I manage to get that final work done by april).
While I would have no problem to pronounce Latin (the pronunciation is fairly close to the pronunciation of German) I am prone to get details wrong in Latin texts when trying to understand them.
What is is that your sister and mother dislike about your interest in history?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
:wave Hiya Saft! :wave

Welcome to the Gang of Five forum. Sounds like you've already sparked off here quite nicely! All good! From Switzerland huh? Just another location in the world our board has reached  :D Which country did you move from? States? UK? I would love to live in another another but I'm not much of a linguist :DD

Anywho, glad to have you onboard, looks like you've already landed on your feet here. All I can say is "Cya on there!" ;)

TTFN

Littlefoot-1616 B)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't rightly know why the dislike my interest in history.  I guess, it could be because I do talk about it non stop continually almost every hour of the day.

Littlefoot1616, thank you for the welcome.  To answer your question, I moved from England.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Saft, we share the same problem, what I call overfocusing. The topics wer are intereste in, we could talk about for days.. heck we could make a nice filibuster out of it.. :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It is one of the traits that I have.  I don't know how people feel on here about autism in general but I have Asperger's (ASD).  

History has always been my passion, my obsession.  It isn't modern day history, it used to be dinosaurs and I still like them but I enjoy the ancient civilizations, like I said mainly Roman.  

I feel as though my family don't understand me, because I am different from them.  I'm different from my sister and I think my mum sees that and thinks that I should be liking (what she considers) 'normal' interests.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You and I am the same way. I too have a form of Autism, called pevasive Development Disorder.. its very similar to Asperger's. My family accepts my interest in  history, in fact they encourage it. Whenever they have a question about history they ask me. A Great series on the History Channel that you should watch , is called "cities of the Underworld"  Rome and Egypt are places where they find new things all the time..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm relieved to find someone who is similar and is accepting.

A year and a half after the diagnosis, I joined a forum as I don't get much support at home.  My Mother is one of those people who think she can 'stamp' it out of me.  Sister doesn't care about anyone but herself and as for my Dad, he is similar.

My Dad (and grandfather) are the only members of my family who have greatly encouraged my history obsession.  

As to the History Channel, I think I have the channel for that.  I know we have National Geographic.  Although when my mum and sister are home, they don't like to watch that.  They prefer to watch hideous television shows like (I apologise in advance for insulting anyone) Paris Hilton's British Best Friend.  Those type of televions shows.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The thing is.. Asperger's is not something that can be cured or stamped out of you.. its sumply something you have to accept and live with as best you can.. and your parents will have to accept that you are a unique indivual, who does things her own way.. and your mum and sister have to start watching other shows. Anything with Paris in it risks lowering your IQ with increased exposure :D  Yeah she's filthy rich, but there's not much going on upstairs if you know what I mean..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes.

I have to say, although I haven't been.  I'm beginning to be proud of who I am.  I'm proud to be an Aspie.  I can do many wonderful things if I'm given encouragement and support.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, autistic kids need all the support our families can muster. there are posters on this board who run the gamut of the condition. Some have more severe cases than others, I personally have a relatively mild case, but it affects me particularly in social situations.. I tend to ramble and miss social cues..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,Feb 23 2009 on  08:51 PM
Yes.

I have to say, although I haven't been.  I'm beginning to be proud of who I am.  I'm proud to be an Aspie.  I can do many wonderful things if I'm given encouragement and support.
Thats nice to hear  :yes