The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How's the Weather?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm rather concerned about the weather forecast for tomorrow: freezing rain with an ice accumulation (I forget how much) enough to expect power outages. I've even heard that this may be as bad as the ice storm we had here back in 1998.

This really concerns me because I remember what that was like. Back then, I honestly wasn't that worried; I actually thought seeing everything covered in a thick layer of ice was kinda cool. I actually didn't mind having no power for a few days because, back then, the only electronics I had to entertain me was a few cartoons on TV and only one hour of computer games per day (we had only one computer in the whole house, back then). I remember spending much of that time working on a puzzle, and I had fun, especially considering school was obviously canceled for those days.

Things are a lot different these days. Nearly all of my daily activities are on a computer, many of which require internet. If we do end up losing power here, I fear I'll be left with almost nothing entertaining to do. The good news is that I'm aware of this ahead of time, so I can prepare myself for the possibility (for example, I've decided to do my laundry today instead of tomorrow, as I had originally planned). Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for no power outage at my house, or at least that such an outage will be quickly restored.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We are currently experiencing extremely heavy rain.  We have obtained 3 inches thus far, with an additional 1-2 inches being predicted for tomorrow.  Obviously, flash flooding is a major concern.  In fact, I now only have one route that is passable to the nearest town, the other 2 routes leading from my parent's home is covered by overburdened streams.

Thankfully, the rain is supposed to stop by tomorrow night.  We then are forecast to have a cold but dry week.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Power and internet never went out at my house, despite a 1/4 inch accumulation of ice. Apparently, the really bad part of the storm happened north of here, between Burlington and the Canadian border, where power outages were reported. The most we had to worry about was getting all that ice off of the cars parked in the driveway. (My dad decided to scrape it all off after turning on the cars and letting them warm up for a while, but to get inside to turn on the cars, he had to use a rubber mallet to break some of the ice around one of the doors.)

Temperatures are expected to warm up tomorrow, so hopefully this means the worst is already behind us.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The rain has stopped, thank goodness, and we are now experiencing our fifth straight day of dry weather.  It is actually supposed to warm up to 50 degrees or so by the end of the weekend, before dipping back down below freezing for highs.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We are not under the grips of the "polar vortex" that the meteorologists have been talking about for days.  We have just set a new daily record low temperature at -5 F today and we should challenge that reading tomorrow as well.  With wind chills around -20 the authorities are recommending that everyone stay inside and avoid going out unless you have too.  Sounds like good advice to me.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This unusual cold air mass in Canada and the US causes unusual warm temperatures over here in Europe... I wouldn't mind switching over that :p Seriously, we have temps in the 50's over here which is far too warm, according to the average temperature.
Inactive, probably forever.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's snowing outside and we're supposed to get a decent amount today. Good thing I don't have to commute yet. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It is still far too warm in Europe. Here in Croatia trees are budding, which means when cold weather finally comes the buds will be ruined, and there won't be any fruit this year.  :(

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's just getting a little cooler over here in Germany... after weeks of temps above 40 degrees F... now finally in the mid-30's and even lower in the northeastern parts of Germany. It even snowed today... kinda :smile Melted away instantly.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
We got about 7 inches over the course of yesterday. As said, glad I don't have to drive anywhere. :lol

Too bad about the warmth in Europe though...

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's FINALLY snowing over here for the first time in this winter. As a person who likes snow and everything you can do with it (except skiing), I'm utterly happy now :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I like snow as well, but I am afraid that it has exceeded its welcome in my area of Illinois.  With regards to the current weather, we are again being faced with very cold wind chills.  The wind chill last night reached a frigid -10 F.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's cold and snowy in Croatia as well. I think the budding stopped in the nick of time.  :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ That is good to hear, jansenov.  It would be a shame if the fruit crop suffered on account of early budding and a late frost.

In my neck of the woods, we are having yet another round of snow.  :rolleyes: It isn't a terribly large amount (1-3 inches) but at this point I am almost sick of winter.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
A part of Croatia, Gorski kotar, was struck by freezing rain, and so much ice has accumulated that pylons and cables are breaking under the weight and 14,000 homes have been cut off from the electric grid. The grid is being re-established there as we speak. Some areas of forest will be damaged as well, as trees crack under the weight of the ice.
Neighbouring Slovenia was hit by the same thing, only there the situation is more severe. 88,000 homes are without electricty, and unlike Croatia, their civil service was overwhelmed by the situation and they had to use the military, and also request aid from other countries. Slovenia forests appear to have sustained much greater damage. In Serbia there was a lot of snowfall, and in places there is so much snow the Serbian military had to use tanks to break through, but otherwise the situation is under control.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some regions of the Alps received up the 3 metres!!! of fresh snow... (about 10!!! feet) and the snow won't stop hammering those regions.. at the same time, floodings caused by the same storm systemnhit many parts of Italy and the northern coast of Spain receives waves of 10 metres height and more, destroying the coastal areas...

Here's an impressive picture of the massive amount of snow
Here's an impressive picture of the massive amount of snow

Over here in Germany, it has got boring... temps in the 40's, sometimes sunny, then cloudy.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
More ice is heading for my area of the country.  It looks like that they may end up cancelling classes yet again.  Considering my Monday evening class is already 6 lecture hours short due to previous weather cancellations and holidays, I have no idea how I am going to make up all of that material.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lot of snow here. It stopped for the day, but we're supposed to get more tonight. We're so busy rearranging our house (I'm moving into the basement to a bigger room for one and we're shuffling our offices around) that we just didn't have time to shovel. Fortunately, some guys were wandering our neighborhood and doing shoveling work, so we got them to clear our driveway. They were very efficient. :yes We'll hire them to come back tomorrow if it gets bad again tonight, which it's looking like it might. :p

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very severe weather from US to Europe...

You guys get snow and ice storms regularly... the UK gets hit by 10m and even higher waves, hurrican-strength storm and floodings, some regions in the Alps drown in snow (some regions received more than 5! metres of snow, 15! feet)

Over here... well, boring. temps between 40 and 50 F, mix of rain, and sun-cloud conditions... no winter here

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is finally warming up over here.  We hit 45 degrees for a high today and have received some moderate rain which has helped to melt the remaining snow and ice.  The extended forecast actually shows us reaching 60 degrees for a brief period of time next week.  I certainly hope that forecasters are correct.  I am sick of this winter weather.