The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Floppy Disc Discontinued

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100426/tc_zd/250362

According to this article I just read, production of 3.5-inch floppy disks had just ended. I honestly didn't know people still made these things, and I think it's already obvious that nearly everyone has moved on to better technology for storing information.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've ever used floppy discs. I took a quick look around my house and found only one (and it's covered in dust), so I can definitely say that I don't use them anymore. Does anybody here still use floppy discs?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I used floppy discs when I was a little child, when I started to do things on the computer (5-7 years ago). They are under my desk, and a few data files are stored there, but I don't use them anymore.

2 or 3 years ago I tried to recover most files from the floppy discs, because there have been errors while saving files on them (and I also wanted to recover files from formatted floppy discs). I almost tried everything to recover these files, because I wanted the good old times back, but I (mostly) failed, the data is damaged and they can't be used anymore.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I used them when I was younger all the time. It was my thing which I used instead of a USB flashdrive. However I stopped using them when I got my first (128mb) flashdrive, so I think I stopped using them at age 12?

We still have them at home, but no computer can read them anymore. They are basically just there now :P:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I didn't know they still made those.  My current pc doesn't even have a floppy drive.  I use flash cards instead for that sort of thing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I used a floppy just yesterday. :p They're great for older machines because they recognize without fail even when Windows won't boot.  On most machines newer than 2001 CD's will do the same, but there are a lot of repair programs I still use that are small enough to fit on a floppy.  Why waste a CD?  Besides, CD's suck.  They get scratched and just aren't practical anymore.  Yesterday I used a floppy on a 486DX machine (66mhz) in order to format the hard drive.  It can't boot from a CD and there was some sort of serious fault that MS supposedly fixed a long time ago but that poor machine never got the patch. :p Because of this, I couldn't even use a Windows 95 boot disk.  I used a small program to wipe out the drive, then installed Windows 95 on the machine.

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
My Dell has an A drive but I seldom use despite having scores of 3.5 floppy disks loaded with forgotten data. Would you believe I have a box of the really old 5.25 floppy disks stashed away somewhere in my basement?  :lol All I can say thank God for flash drives and CDs.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, I used to have Tie Fighter on 40 floppy discs...good times! :lol:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, learned about this from the Freefall forum. I was actually more surprised that they still produced floppies; I haven't used one for years, and I don't believe I have a single one in my possession today.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still use floppy disks at my course, since when assignments get sent away, they are sometimes accompanied by a floppy disk with work on there.

But really, I don't mind them, I mean, they're not that big....one assignment I had....the file couldn't fit onto the floppy disk in the end :lol: bigger than the 1.3MB limit or whatever the limit is on it :p

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'm amazed that these were even still being made or used. Perhaps in third world countries, but not here. The last computer of mine that I remember having a floppy disk drive was an old Acer computer made in the 1990s, and even then, the format was getting old. I had thought floppies to be obsolete by the year 2000. Guess someone was still using them. Not anymore.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I still have some observatory pictures that date from ~2003 on a floppy.

Not to mention, we have hundreds of floppy discs sitting in our house.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When I moved to Minnesota about 2 years ago, I left behind nearly 2,000 blank floppy disks and at least 500 programs on floppies.  Since I've come here, I've collected more.  At present, I have about 100 blank floppies and about 20 different programs on floppies.  Wolfenstein 3D, the Microsoft Best of Entertainment Pack, Load Runner, WipeDrive, and a host of technician programs.  As a Computer Repair Technician and an overall computer enthusiast, I'll probably still have and use floppies 10 - 20 years from now.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A client brought in a newer HP computer where a BIOS update failed.  I planned to just boot it up with a CD and do a new BIOS update in Mini Windows XP.  Unfortunately the update failed at just the right time so that it didn't even have the info to recognize a keyboard anymore!  I couldn't even boot Mini Windows XP.  If the computer had had a floppy drive it would have been a simple matter to fix but it didn't so I had to use a serial floppy drive (serial precedes USB) because the USB ports didn't work either.  So I used the floppy drive to load a disk with supplemental drivers for the keyboard and I was able to restore the BIOS.  Had floppies no longer existed, the computer would have had to been junked as the BIOS wasn't removable in this particular model.