The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Award Rules 2012

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will require honesty and a good input from our members in these awards. I'd like to emphasize we do NOT accept people buying votes.

Joining:

1)   Everyone who wants his or her fanfiction to be part of the awards must enter their fanfiction before August 1, 2012. You may enter up to 5 of your fanfictions, but can only have 1 fanfiction award in your signature (from this year, 2012). Fanfiction must include the following criteria (subject to change):
  • The fanfiction has to include at least 1 of the main characters from The Land Before Time. It would not be an LBT fanfiction otherwise. Preferably, this character has maintain his or her actual characteristics (so Littlefoot would not be some kind of dictator out to murder everyone).
  • Fanfiction has to be either a script, poetry or prose. It can consist of several chapters or just a shorter story, but the minimum length required is 1 full page in Microsoft word (Calibri 11, or Times New Roman 12). If you do not own Microsoft Word, ask me to copy your fanfiction to see if it is eligible.
  • The fanfiction should have been updated or created between the last fanfiction award (june 16, 2011) and now (june 26, 2012) and should be posted on the Gang of Five as a full story or as a link to fanfiction sites. It does not have to be finished.
2)   Fill in this form and send it to me by PM:

Name of fanfiction:
Short summary:
Link to fanfiction on the GoF:
Author(s): (You have to be one of the authors, but if you have a co-writer, put him/her down here)
Any other comment:

Voting

Visit the voting topic to cast your votes!

1)   We list all fanfictions that you can vote for in one thread. In that thread you can post your rating for the fanfiction. Voting is simple, but it will take some time. You may pick any of the fanfictions you've read, and only those you have read. You will rate this fanfiction a mark from 1 to 10, and include a little description of why you want to give that fanfiction that mark. This description should include your opinion and should show that you've actually read the fanfiction.

2)   Voting looks like this:
Fanfiction: [name of fanfiction 1]
I rate it: 6/10
Because: This fanfiction was average. It did not keep my attention span for much longer than 5 minutes. Next to that it was so obvious what would happen to Cera, everyone knew that she would eventually escape from the Sharptooth. However it is still an interesting plot line and could be made into a movie if it was written with more care and enthusiasm.

Fanfiction: [name of fanfiction 2]
I rate it: 8/10
Because: Wow! I've never seen anyone write this well! As much as I despise human influence in the land before time, it was awesome to see how Littlefoot communicated with them.

3) If you have submitted your fanfiction as nomination, you HAVE to rate someone else's fanfiction (you may not rate your own). NEW! You need to review at least one fanfiction for every fanfiction you submit. If you submit 5, you review 5!

4) After the awards are over, everyone who participated in the fanfiction award will get an award for them to show in their signature. It will state the following:

Fanfiction award for [name of fanfiction here]
Number of votes: 3
Average rating: 7/10

You may only include 1 fanfiction award per year in your signature, no matter how many fanfictions you submitted that year. - Just pick your favourite.

You will not be disqualified for the appreciated member award if you join these awards.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You are now allowed to send me the PMs with your fanfiction.

Once again please do not 'trade' votes, this makes the whole idea of an award useless.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but if the fanfiction not finished do you leave a review when it finished or can you review it anytime you like?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Usually people write their fanfiction over a larger period of time, some of them can take years and are still not finished. When people submit the fanfiction to me, you can review what they have written so far in the voting topic (which I didn't open yet due to the lack of submissions ;))

Also there are no stupid questions :D Especially not on a topic like this, seeing the fanfiction awards are rather new and still not entirely clear to everyone.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Fanfiction awards are still new? I did not know that. :lol. Anyway I submission my story today if you want to. The timeline great for me now that my exams are over it should be finished soon.

Anyway Thank you... :smile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, the fanfiction awards were held for the first time in 2011, last year... So it's still a relatively new concept ;) I received your submission and will soon be setting up the voting topic.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember having around 10 entries last year by this time. Please fanfic writers, unite and send me a PM! :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 26 2012 on  06:08 AM

• The fanfiction has to include at least 1 of the main characters from The Land Before Time. It would not be an LBT fanfiction otherwise. Preferably, this character has maintain his or her actual characteristics (so Littlefoot would not be some kind of dictator out to murder everyone).
Is a 'Main Character' defined as a character with a respectable amount of screentime? So a fanfic starring Mrs. Twoped or some other minor character isn't eligible?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you star Mrs. Twoped and she might talk to Littlefoot or whatever at some point, that's just fine. We just don't want the entire story to be about pippy longstocking who saw LBT on TV or something like that, haha. Mrs. Twoped is still an LBT character and thus fine with me :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though I guess it would be ok if her friends want to go to a museum to see some dinosaurs and she decides why don't they go and see some real ones instead of ol stuffy ones in a stuffy old museum. :lol

(not that I know much about Pippi, all I know is from a clip I saw of the movie, or one of the movies, she is in that is in English, or dubbed into English)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I would but... I'm just not sure I can write enough of my current fanfic to get it submitted this year, and I don't want to submit only the prologue and first chapter. :p If I can get what I consider enough written by the deadline, I'll try to submit it. I may have far greater luck with a fanfic idea beloning to the Chronicler that I may be writing soon.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^True, but I have doubts that a lot will be written in time for this year's awards. Then again, I'm not aware of how quickly you can write a fanfic. My perception lately has likely been influenced by the relatively slow progress karkovice and I have made on our current fanfic (which reminds me, I think I should let him know about these fanfiction awards and see if he's interested in submiting any of his stories, maybe even including the one we're currently working on).

As for the second LBT/Bionicle crossover fanfic that I'm currently writing, I've decided to not enter it in this year's awards. Even though we're allowed to submit unfinished fanfics, I personally would rather wait until I'm finished the entire story before entering it, because I want people to vote on how the entire story appears. It might turn out to be a case where the ending is far more awesome than the beginning, you just never know. :unsure:  I'm just not willing to take a risk like that, that's all.

Despite this, I'm still going to be voting like I did last year; at least one fanfic for each author.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why not? If you have written a fanfiction last year and updated in the past 12 months, it is eligible. They don't have to be new fanfictions (PAST-O-RAMA for example is in again). It's okay to not want to submit your fanfiction because you do not find it good enough just yet, but I wouldn't know why there would be very few submissions.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why not enter your fanfiction and let the admin decide if it is suitable or not?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wait, you're saying it's okay to submit a fanfic, even if it was entered last year, as long as it was updated within the past year? :confused

Now I'll need to put more thought into my decision. If I'm allowed to enter a fanfic this year, accept an award for it, then enter it again next year and accept another award for it that year, I might reconsider my choice. (I'm planning to eventually have six stories in my LBT/Bionicle crossover series, and I'm only on the second story. Considering how slowly I seem to be updating lately, this might end up leaving me with a lot of fanfiction awards in my signature instead of only the six I've been anticipating, but that's obviously not going to be a problem for a few years.)

- Berix

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Jun 28 2012 on  10:00 PM
Wait, you're saying it's okay to submit a fanfic, even if it was entered last year, as long as it was updated within the past year? :confused

Now I'll need to put more thought into my decision. If I'm allowed to enter a fanfic this year, accept an award for it, then enter it again next year and accept another award for it that year, I might reconsider my choice. (I'm planning to eventually have six stories in my LBT/Bionicle crossover series, and I'm only on the second story. Considering how slowly I seem to be updating lately, this might end up leaving me with a lot of fanfiction awards in my signature instead of only the six I've been anticipating, but that's obviously not going to be a problem for a few years.)
Yes, of course. That's the only rule, created or updated between the last awards and now. I don't see any issue with that :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, just to be absolutely clear, I am allowed to have an award for the same fanfic for multiple years? As in, my 2012 and 2013 (and even 2014, if things turn out that way) fanfiction awards can be for the same fanfic, as long as I have only one award for each year?

(Sorry for repeating my question, but I want to be absolutely sure that I'm doing things right.)

- Berix

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Jun 28 2012 on  11:15 PM
So, just to be absolutely clear, I am allowed to have an award for the same fanfic for multiple years? As in, my 2012 and 2013 (and even 2014, if things turn out that way) fanfiction awards can be for the same fanfic, as long as I have only one award for each year?

(Sorry for repeating my question, but I want to be absolutely sure that I'm doing things right.)
Yep, so long it's still updated! It's only fair, don't you think? Most people improve as they write more and more, which hopefully can be seen in these awards :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, as you know by now, I've thought about it and decided to enter my fanfic this year. Hopefully, I'll have time soon to start voting.

I've got a few questions regarding fanfics that have multiple authors. If there is more than one person who worked on a fanfic, do they all have to agree to submit it for you to accept it? When the award is given out, will everyone who worked on the fanfic be allowed to get one, or will only one of them be allowed an award?

- Berix

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Last year there was one fanfiction with multiple authors. I think they all have to agree to submit it, but I honestly think this is a thing they should work out together. All the authors can take the award of that fanfiction in their signature.