The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT cross-over

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I'm planning to write a LBT/Primeval cross-over. However, I can't really chose between the characters, so which one do you think would be the best to throw into present day London?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've never heard of Primeval.  But one consideration is, do you have some favorite characters, ones you feel you can handle well and write well in a story.  Do certain characters feel like they'd add to the plot, maybe adding sub plots of their own, or have certain purposes?  

Some like Petrie and Guido could be scouts and if seen by modern londoners while they are in the sky may mistake them for birds, especially Guido who has feathers, but Petrie also, especially in twilight and at night, or foggy days.  

Ducky is small so maybe easy to go unnoticed.  

Just a few thoughts I had, not sure if they will help any.

Zilla

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It all depends on what sort of a story you want and how many characters you want to throw into the mix. In my personal opinion i would say the original five, but i think chomper would also work.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It'll be one character, chased by a predator, possible Red Claw, and then they pass through the Anomaly, appearing on a highway near London.

One of the characters I'm considering the most, is Shorty. I want it to be someone outside the Valley, so I might come up with a sequal later on.

How the characters from Primeval will handle a T-rex in the middle of London, I'm still not sure.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If you do Shorty then it does not have to be near the Great Valley but could be anywhere.  

No idea how the primeval folks would respond, who and whatever that is, but the regular folks would likely have the police show up first, then try to get the military in there since they are more combat trained and can bring in planes and heavy weapons and tanks against it.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
oh, I forgot to mention.

I will write this from Shorty point of view, which means, I can make another story later, seen from the Primeval characters point of view.

I do hope to make a sequel, though it will take some time before I even get to that point.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck on that.  Try to let the characters write instead of you writing, if that makes any sense, and also do the amount of writing at a time that seems comfortable,

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For a start, you're going to have Shorty and Redclaw somehow suddenly appear in London? Not bad for a start.
May I make a suggestion? Instead of having them appear on the highway, how about in a park or something like that. The highway would seem a little dangerous to them :! .

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe a bit apart from each other.  One of the good guys or good girls/women may see Shorty, depending on how fast you want them to meet each other.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
hmmmm, might think about having Conner and Abby sitting in a CafË, when first Shorty, then Red Claw runs by.

Wondering though, anybody knows how much you need to sedate an Elephant?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've no idea how much, but as I recall, and it may be wrong since I've not seen the program for 30 years, or more, when I use to watch wild kingdom they use to shoot elephants with a tranquilizer dart from a helicopter using a special dart tranquilizer rifle.  Though maybe they did it from jeep, some animals they did from jeep.  As I recall they would have to inject it with some sort of drug to undue the effects after the examination and putting on a tracking collar and paining on a number and tagging was done.  

Reminds me of Jim having to run a lot from various animals, and Marlin Perkins wrestling with some sort of large snake in water.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info, Kor, that is exactly the thing I could use, though I think it will be a pretty heavy caliber.

"Using a rifle, Connor aimed for the huge T'rex. Either the shot would sedate the huge animal.... or the dart would break because of the animals thick skin."

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They may indeed have a situation like that.  :)

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think I'll use that line later, when I make the story from Conner's view point.

But I'll use Shorty, who is seperated from Bron's herd, and runs into the anomaly, where he will appear in London, in the year of your lord 2008/2009.

Might see the second Jurassic Park movie again, to get a better impression of, how people will react when a huge T-rex runs through the streets.

However, I was thinking about, that Red Claw will only go after Shorty, because Shorty bleed a little, which Red Claw got the scent of. Pretty much like a bloodhound.

Would that be realistic, or should I have Red Claw eat a few humans before he gets back through the anomaly?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Vilstrup,Nov 28 2008 on  01:28 AM
Would that be realistic, or should I have Red Claw eat a few humans before he gets back through the anomaly?
I think Shorty might provide more meat to Redclaw than a human.

Shorty probably weighs in the 500+ pound range and humans are in the 160 or so range.

Redclaw eating some humans in place of Shorty is like eating a piece of popcorn vs a burger.

However, you could have Redclaw trample some humans on his way back

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
However, you could have Redclaw trample some humans on his way back

Nahh, that wouldn't quite work, because he will be driven back, through the anomaly in an "controlled" eviroment. It would be in his chase after Shorty, that a few humans have to leave their lifes.

On the other hand, how tall is Shorty??

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'd imagine Shorty to be the height of a pony from the ground to the top of his head. (~ 4'7" or so)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Think I'll need to see the X movie again, and see how big he is next to a T-rex's footprint and then meassure from there.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He may attempt to eat a few humans if he can if he follows Shorty's scent.  Not sure how he'd like the smell of car exhaust and other modern smells he'd be exposed to.  

As to how humans would react, I guess most would say some equivalent to "eek" or some cuss word and attempt to run away.  Police and other specially trained may attempt to cover the civilians and shoot at him while calling for backup, if any type of police have guns in the London of your world.  

I expect most humans would react the same to seeing Shorty.  He's not some dog running down the street.   To most humans he's a strange looking monster, though a small one.   Some may be prone to try to drive him away.  Except to some paleontologists or folks who really know dinos.  I can't see Bob Baker or John Horner running away from Shorty, or James Gurney for that matter.  Some folks may try to get a picture or video of Shorty with their cell phones.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The reaction will of cause be mixed, but how Red Claw, and Shorty will react to the smell of cars and industry, I hadn't thought of. Thanks for that.

Think the Primeval characters will have a hard time covering up, a T-rex appearance.  :p