The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

how often do you catch a flight?

oogaboo · 16 · 2038

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The last time I ever caught a flight was in 2006. I had to fly from Florida, to another state and then to Pennsylvania to see my grandmother. After this, I stopped flying. I’ve flown only three times in my life. I love being above the clouds, but now I have two reasons why I stopped flying. One; I’ve been seeing an increase in plane accidents in the news and on Youtube over the years. Second; I am getting very wary about these “check ins” that I have been hearing at the air ports nowadays. I know they want to check people for potential threats, but I feel they are starting to get a little too “touchy” when it comes to checking bags and the people. Germany and Israel are one of the most security conscience countries in the world and would not allow anyone to get too “touchy” on some folks.

So, how often do you fly? Do you fly at all anymore? What was your best and worst experience at the airport?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've never set foot on a plane. I almost did as a really little kid, but I ended up staying home.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Semi-regularly. I'm much more commonly on trains.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've flown a ton of times. And I've gone threw all the check points in the air port like the Bomb Sniffing Machine getting waved down with a wand and being pulled into a back room and getting strip searched. So I had my fair share of flight incidents. Getting stripped searched wasn't fun but I got through it. And I will still fly no matter how many accidents and plane crashes they have. Since I need to get to my destination.  I also don't mind flying at all it's fun and so fourth.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Every year since 2003 ^^ I travel by plane when I go on vacation with my family once a year
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome so the flight accidents don't make you wanna stop flying?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The first time I flew was in 2007 or so with my family to Gran Canaria. 2nd and 3rd time in 2009/2010 to Canada. 2011 to Sweden (had to switch planes in Frankfurt). So in total I've been on 10 planes (4 times to and fro, 1 flight with 2 planes). I love flying, but it's way too expensive to get tickets. So far it's always been for vacations.

Petrie85, airplanes are the safest way of transportation. I've never felt unsafe in one. I feel more uncomfortable in cars than planes.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I've only flown about 3 times, and each time I've been stopped for a bag search at least once. I'm not a big fan...

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
@Mumbling I can see where you're coming from. I do feel a bit unsafe in cars as well. My heart jumps when someone stops the car fast. And I'm like wow I need to get out. But in a plane I'm relaxed and I feel safe and comfortable. And I don't feel like my life is in any danger at all.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As often as requires. For example, I just booked a flight for my return from Tampa at the end of my class/cruise in November. Statistically, it's way safer than driving, as far more people are killed in auto accidents a year than on airplanes. I don't mind the searches so much, because if it means I'm not going to be blown up in mid-flight thanks to a bomb, I'll put up with it. It's a sign of how warfare has changed over the years. My first flight was over to England in 1997 if I recall, as my dad was teaching for a semester over there and moved us with him. Been flying fairly frequently ever since. I'll be flying later this year from Tampa to back home, and also will be flying to and from Disney World for my Christmas vacation.

Once I become a tour director, I'm sure I'll be doing quite a lot of flying to and from my tour destinations, something I'm rather looking forward to. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've never flown anywhere in my life, but as I've started planning my own vacations lately, mainly for conventions, the odds are good that I'll eventually have to fly somewhere.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Or you can take trains to get to your conventions as well.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I almost flew once, but didn't because I ended up in a trafic accident on the way to the airport.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Jul 11 2013 on  04:25 AM
I almost flew once, but didn't because I ended up in a trafic accident on the way to the airport.
I guess this is why some folks say flying is safer than driving.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As far as I know, I've been on a plane only once in my life, and I was way too young to remember it. I was only one year old, and my parents obviously couldn't leave me behind. We went to California, mostly for my uncle's wedding (one of my mom's three brothers). My brother and my sister, both of whom are younger than me, have never been on a plane at all, but since I obviously don't remember that trip to California, I feel like the three of us have the same (lack of) experience.

Edit: My dad, on the other hand, has flown on a plane numerous times for business trips. At least a few times per year, but I've clearly lost count by now.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls