The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What if the Titanic had not sunk?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Seeing as there's a few "What if" topics in the history section, I decided to start one myself, hopefully one that's actually worth discussing.)

I'm sure we all know by now about the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. Well, what do you think would have been different if the Titanic had not struck that iceberg and instead made it to New York as expected?

Obviously, there were about 1500 lives lost with the ship, but I think what really had an impact on history was the changes in safety and regulations in the aftermath of the disaster. I'm not just taking about how there wasn't enough lifeboats for everyone. The closest ship to Titanic at the time of the sinking, the Californian, had shut off their wireless telegraph for the night, meaning they didn't receive any of Titanic's calls for help. Since then, all ships have been required to have their radios on at all times. There was also the formation of the Ice Patrol, which has helped to make sure that, to this day, Titanic remains the latest ship to have been sunk by an iceberg collision.

If the Titanic had not sunk, I think the lack of these updated regulations would have changed history more than the survival of 1500 people. The way I see it, the old outdated regulations wouldn't have stayed the same for much longer, especially once WWI started. If it had not been Titanic, it likely would have been some other disaster to prompt such changes, like the Lusitania. (Not that I think it would specifically be Lusitania, I'm just throwing a name out there.) It's quite possible that many smaller maritime disasters would have happened before such changes are finally made, with a combined loss of life totaling more than the 1500 from Titanic.

Put simply, in my opinion, the changes that were made in the aftermath of the Titanic disaster would have eventually been made, but it would have taken more time to do so, in which time possibly more lives could have been lost than those that went down with Titanic.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The disaster was inevitable given the lax safety laws at the time.  Had it not been the Titanic, it would have just been someone else.  Some other ship would have eventually met a similar fate with a similar loss of life as a result of there not being any new safety regulations. Those regulations would instead be put into place following this new disaster since it would basically take the Titanic's place in the history books.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Someone else would have sunk that didn't have quite such an appropriate name. History would probably remember it more like "A rash of boat sinkings compelled the United States  to amend the nautical safety laws," without any famous examples.