The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Earthquake in Haiti

Jasper · 41 · 3125

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It is a horrible disaster that hit the poorest of all countries in the western hemisphere. I hope your folks are alright Jasper :(
Unfortunately there is no real earthquake warning system comparable to the rather accurate predictions of volcanic eruptions. While they are able to predict where earthquakes are likely to strike (it is not the question if, but when a big earthquake will strike for example the cities of San Francisco and Istanbul) they are not yet able to predict the time when the earthquake will strike.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Malte is correct, there is no way to predict when an Earthquake will strike, as scientist can only measure the ammount of energy and tension accumulated between the tectonic plates. That is how they have predicted that a major event will strike in my own zone eventually.
 I hope the help will arrive, and keep arriving to Haiti with no problems. And I also hope your relatives are safe Jasper.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am taking a geographical hazards course as the final course for my minor (Environmental Studies), and we discussed this earthquake yesterday.  It turns out that the capital city (and most densely populated area of Haiti) sits right above a fault, which is the worst place to be in an earthquake 'cuz it is where the strength is most intense.  The instructor showed us a map of this on his Powerpoint, but sadly does not have the Powerpoint uploaded for the students so I can't post the map here.

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
I got some good news only. Some relatives survived, but they did get cuts on their heads, but they'll be okay though.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This was so bad I don't believe they will survive another natural dieaster in the future imagine hurricane season for 2010.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If anyone wishes to make a donation or something, I'm sure you could ask around at a local community center or church.  My church is putting together packages to send there that include basic items like soap and tooth brushes.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Gah!  More bad news: I just read a headline saying that scientists are warning Haitians to be ready for more earthquakes this year :o!  Since what I had said in my post about the fault is true, I guess more are bound and determined to hit eventually.  My thoughts and prayers go out to Haiti, and hopefully no more earthquakes to this magnitude will hit them :(.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But does "some relatives" mean that you don't have word of all of them yet Jasper? I really really hope that all of your relatives are save.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Damn, sad that it always hits the poorest. I followed this over the news. Also if the people get food and water, they can¥t make sure that everyone get¥s his/her foot and water. It¥s just sad..

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 17 2010 on  03:55 AM
But does "some relatives" mean that you don't have word of all of them yet Jasper? I really really hope that all of your relatives are save.
I've gotten confirmation from my dad that everyone is now okay. It's sad to know that they now have to sleep outside on the ground with hundreds of thousands of other people due to their homes not being inhabitable for a while.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've gotten confirmation from my dad that everyone is now okay. It's sad to know that they now have to sleep outside on the ground with hundreds of thousands of other people due to their homes not being inhabitable for a while.
At least their okay, thats the first concern

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Did anyone else hear anything about the magnitude-6.1 aftershock that hit Haiti :blink:?  Just when things could not get bad enough...

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I know! I was horrified to hear that not only had Haiti been hit with the biggest quake they've had for 200 years...they get an aftershock that measures nearly as high as their initial quake! :o The poor souls :( At least aid is actually arriving there now. Donations have been pouring in from every corner so at least they have support in that respect. Apparently, Guatemala had a tremor too at some stage this week. Just hope that those made homeless by the quake can hold out long enough for their homes to be reconstructed.  :neutral Still, a very sad event.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A few days ago, I checked Google Maps and I noticed that the satellite images of Port-au-Prince had just recently been updated to show the aftermath of the earthquake. You can see damaged buildings (particularly the National Palace) and canvases that show where all the homeless people have been staying (mostly parks and stadiums).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hugo Chavez claims that a US weapon test caused the earthquake in Haiti.  Yeah, that's right, Hugo.  We evil greedy Americans caused a massive earthquake in poor little Haiti just so we could turn around and spend billions of dollars on foreign aid and military resources.   Idiot... :rolleyes:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Here's a short video I found on Yahoo about a 7 year old boy who raised money for Haiti.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633...60-000-17809551

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I read that in the newspaper this morning Kacie! It's quite wonderful that he brought up such an amount of money!