The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FBS's New Art Stuffs

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I like the evil smirk on Tero's face in that group picture, and if you ever want to redo it I think that you should restage the picture so his face is the focal point 

Stygia is cute, but her right thigh is a little short. That shade of orangey-yellow is a favorite of mine! It's also neat to see a more realistic flyer trio.

Sorry! My e-mail didn't inform me of your post and I didn't notice it when I went on the thread. My bad, buddy! :oops

Glad you're having so much fun with Tero's face! An evil smirk is a very common expression for him, especially if it involves Teryx feeling physical pain!

Yayz! Stygia's cute! As for her thigh, that's a fair criticism! And it's pretty cool how that orange color is a fav of yours! It is a pretty color!

Thank! I'm surprised that I couldn't find a realistic pics of them; it seems like an obvious thing to do!! :D

Hmm…I looked that book up on Amazon so I could see what its cover looked like, and I’m pretty sure my youngest brother owns it. Don’t know where it is, though.

I knew you would recognize it!!! I bet you (and the rest of your family) have whole libraries of dino-books! :smile

Incidentally, the size and position of the nostrils in dinosaurs (and presumably pterosaurs, too) has been the subject of much revamping in recent years. Where many dinosaurs used to be drawn with a huge, gaping nostril in the center of each naris, the new and (presumably) more accurate style is to give them relatively tiny nostrils at the very front. Even the nostrils of sauropodsólong restored as being high up on the foreheadóare now believed to have been much closer to the front of the muzzle.

That explains a lot! Hey, so that scene in LBT 3 where Petrie was hurting Littlefoot's 'nose' could possibly be accurate after all! :lol:

(That’s all I’m going to say for now in case you don’t want your interpretation of the scene to be influenced any more than necessary.)

Dang it, my ploy to get more information from you has ultimately failed!! :lol I'm just playing, though that 'goofy-looking slipper' line was pretty funny to read!! Now I'm all the more motivated to see that picture!!

Surprises, huh? Can’t wait to see them!

I'm already starting to draw some out!! :DD

Have I mentioned before that you’re awesome? Yes? Well I’m repeating it anyway!

Wow, I'm usually the one saying that line! It's certainly nice to hear (or read :p ) it directed at me for once!! Thank you so much! *glomps!!*

Looks cool!  I like the combination of yellow and black (Those colors seem to work well for ankylosaurs, for some reason). I’m not certain as to the accurate size, shape, and placement of Gastonia’s armor plates and spikes, but since this is LBT style anyway (hardly the most scientifically accurate style out there ), I don’t think it matters much. On that note, I think this is a really good LBT-style Gastonia.  I really like how you made her similar enough to a clubtail (especially in the arrangement of her armor) that one can easily tell that she’s a closely related species, but she still has a unique design, rather than having the same body model of an existing LBT dinosaur with a different color scheme and one or two modified features. One detail I do think could use improvement is the row of eight small plates closest to the edge of her “carapace”; it looks to me like it’s too tightly squeezed between the two rows of big spikes on either side of it. You could remove them, but I think it might look better if you moved them and the back spikes higher up.

I think black and yellow looks good on them because they look like turtles!! I'm never gonna let that go!! :lol Anyway, I tried to make the spikes and plates as close to my reference as possible, but I'm sure it's far from perfect!! So I guess it's good LBT ain't accurate!! :DD

I've been debating on whether to model her more closely to the Clubtail design in the LBT, and I also considered making her look a bit like an overly-spiney Nod. But in the end, I decided to make her more unique than that!! I'm glad you liked the design! I especially like her head, it's cuter in my opinion!!

Looking at those little plates, I see what you're talking about! I'm not especially inclined to remove them so next (NEXT) time I draw her, I'll take your advice on moving them up. It's already too late for my newest pic... :(

I attempted to fix 'em in my photoshop, but it was actually making the whole thing worse. I simply cannot draw using digital means... Stupid shaky mouse <_<

"So you guys are wanderers?" Toni asked as she settled on the soft, comfortable ground next to a sleeping Stygia, careful not to get too close so her spines won't accidently injure her friend. Tiki nodded as she in turn settled by a sleeping Cookie and blissfully spread herself out in the Bright Circle's warmth, allowing a sigh to escape her beak as she gave her verbal response to the inquiry.

"Pretty much. We're kinda like Far Walkers, but without any particular destination. The original plan between Tero and I was to set up our own territory, but we're too much of a restless bunch to stay in one place, especially when the others joined up." She nodded specifically at Clubbie, whom was in the middle of attempting a back-stroke...whilst on land... Yeah, he wasn't really going anywhere fast...

"Tero?" Toni asked, tilting her head as she glanced about. "Am I mixed up? 'Cause I only see four of ya."

"Oh, he's out scouting our next route, no doubt trying to find sharpteeth to pick fights with." Tiki told her jokingly before muttering under her breath. "I keep telling him to just use Teryx as a scout since it'll be easier, but he refuses to accept help from him..."

"It's only because he knows that I can get everything done better than he ever could." the mention Feathered Flyer piped up whilst he groomed his wing feathers. Hearing this, Tiki rolled her eyes with a soft laugh as she continued.

"He's, -how should I say it?-, kinda like the leader of our group."

"Yeah, the self-proclaimed leader..." Teryx continued to mutter, his crest twitching in aggravation as he was certain that he deserved that role, especially since he can beat Tero in a fight if he really wanted to... :rolleyes: . Toni immediately sensed that there was some kind of animosity between Teryx and this 'leader' of theirs and wondered why Teryx was still hanging around if that's the case. Perhaps she'll figure it out later when-

"Ah, here he comes now." Tiki exclaimed, sitting up to lift a hand. "Hey, Tero! Come meet our new visitors!"

Hearing this and seeing Toni, Tero froze for a moment, taking in the sight of this strange new dinosaur that he's never encountered. It looked like a Clubtail, but... "Clubbie, what've they done to you!? They turned you into a walking Ground Prickly!" He exclaimed in mock-horror before immediately turning deathly serious and dashing towards the new dinosaur to investigate and evaluate this potential new member. He never was too fond of newcomers and he was hoping this'll just be temporary; but if not, he might as well see who he's dealing with.

Finally seeing the nature of Tero, -specifically his species-, Toni tensed up and casted a glance at the sleeping Stygia next to her. The young dinosaur felt the footfalls even in her contented state as she opened her eyes to look over at the source. Toni's body was blocking the way, but soon enough, another dinosaur appeared into view.

In an instant, time seemed to stop as Stygia let out an alarmed scream, her wide eyes already filling with tears as she hastily stood up to run, Toni barely moving her sharp-edged tail out of the way in time to avoid tripping and hurting her friend. Tero certainly wasn't expecting a second dinosaur and hearing the loud scream and seeing the fast-moving critter, he immediately skid to a stop and jumped back a few paces in one fluid motion, thoroughly startled and confused by this seemingly random scene.

Retreating a distance, sobbing and screaming at the same time, Stygia could only just barely stop herself from flat out fleeing entirely as she remembered Toni. Turning back to see the larger Domehead, she whimpered and trembled heavily, keeping low as she paced anxiously, wondering why Toni wasn't running with her. Doesn't she remember how dangerous this kind of Domehead was?! Maybe Toni was going to fight him off like she did with that trio...

But there was only stillness as the others watched her with shocked looks on their faces, Clubbie still on his back and Cookie now fully awake. Only Toni seemed to have expected it and her expression grew in sympathy as she watched her fear-ridden companion cower in her spot. Looking from one of the surprised group to another, she finally turned her full attention to Tero. He was a young Domehead, still in the Age of Great Growing just like the others, and only a just over half the size of the Domeheads that instilled trauma into her companion a while back. But size didn't matter to Stygia, apparently, as the Spiky Domehead began to call out to her in the form of several bugles.

"What was that about?!" Tero finally exclaimed, glaring at the little creature that startled him, but making no attempt to approach the obviously frightened creature.

"I'm so sorry." Toni apologized, finding it odd as she hardly apologized to anyone and truly mean it; what she does, she does for a reason and that's nothing to be sorry for. But she felt this situation warranted a genuine one, since it wasn't her actions she was apologizing for. "Stygia... She's terrified of you."

"What for?" Teryx asked, tilting his head. "I mean, I know Tero's uglier than a sharptooth, but there's nothing to be afraid of." Only then did the Flyer notice that Tero's glare had shifted to him and there was silence before Teryx sighed in resignation. "Here it comes...."

In an instant, Teryx was on the ground quite a distance away, having been charged and rammed by the angry Domehead (this earned an especially frightened bugle from the still-pacing Stygia nearby). Immediately, Cookie rushed to aid him as Tero returned his attention to Toni.

"So, what for?" he repeated Teryx's question as if nothing happened, crossing his arms.

"For just that, actually." Toni responded, surprised that that attack hasn't stirred much a reaction. She guessed such a thing happened rather frequently... Looking at the bashed Flyer as Cookie helped him up, she saw that he was actually pretty alright for what just happened (she half-expected him to be dead after an impact like that) and reasoned that Tero's attacks never actually intends any fatal harm. Kids... "A trio of your kind tried to kill her and would've succeeded if I hadn't interfered." She shook her head and looked back to Stygia. "She's been traumatized since then. It's not really personal..."

"Toni!" Stygia sobbed shakily. "I wanna go now! Please!"

Feeling her heart sink, Toni looked over at the others. She's never been in a herd before and always wanted that sense of belonging practically all her life. And now that she's finally getting that chance... But Stygia... Although the conflict in her instincts and her desires was powerful, she knew what she had to do as she stood up.

"It was a great pleasure meeting you all. You have no idea how much talking to you meant to me..." Expertly holding back her tears, she offered a smile before turning away and walking towards Stygia, leaving behind her last hope of fulfilling her dreams of joining a herd.

I've made this pic for several reasons. One, I wanted to see if I could establish a reasonable comparison of size between Toni and Stygia. I know LBT isn't accurate with size (they make Domeheads the size of Swimmers! :blink: ), but that didn't stop me from trying. Unfortunately, the dino-books I have keep giving me different sizes for Gastonia, ranging from 8 to 13 feet. So I just winged it, using Stygia's pre-determined size as a sort of guide. Secondly, I wanted to attempt to draw a Domehead's (in this case, Tero's) face from a different angle. All I can say is, I need some practice for it! :lol I wanted to add Tiki and the others in the pic, but I ran out of room. So I put in the puny little Feathered Flyer Teryx just to show that that Domehead is Tero rather than some random dinosaur!

Poor Stygia, though... She doesn't understand that Tero means no harm.... And poor Toni, giving up the best chance of socializing and making more friends to keep her very first and best buddy... :cry And poor Teryx, getting rammed for the millionth time. He really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut...

After reading her bio, I already really like Toni  (and, if it's not already clear, I like the picture as well ). Have you written or planned any stories about her and Stygia? Or is it just their general backstory that you've plotted out so far?

:yes Yes, I do have a fanfiction planned for them. I also have the story of Lio and Optie completely laid out with plot points written on a sheet of paper buried in my room somewhere (the Sushi Monster living under my bed probably has it or something :lol ). And the story involving Tiki, Tero, and the others have even been written out on a notebook. I'm always so close to typing out their stories, but I've never been confident enough to do so since I don't think OC-centered fanfics would interest people......especially if those OCs are mine :unsure: But if you're genuinely interested in seeing them, I can definitely start typing them up for ya! :)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oops! I've been so excited with coloring my current project for Pangy that I keep forgetting to submit my most recent pic here!! One of my strangest LBT pics yet:

Pangy, thank you sooooo much for the inspiration!! I love how it's always Teryx having these situations!!

So I introduced Teryx to video games and he catches on fairly quickly. What he doesn't understand was that since he's my OC, I am his GOD and with just a wandering thought fleeting through my mostly-empty brain, his tail sprouted a hand! Teryx is not freaked out by this at all! :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 4 2012 on  02:28 AM
Have I mentioned before that you’re awesome? Yes? Well I’m repeating it anyway!
Wow, I'm usually the one saying that line! It's certainly nice to hear (or read :p ) it directed at me for once!! Thank you so much! *glomps!!*
Aw, you’re welcome. :smile You know I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t think it was true.

I've been debating on whether to model her more closely to the Clubtail design in the LBT, and I also considered making her look a bit like an overly-spiney Nod. But in the end, I decided to make her more unique than that!! I'm glad you liked the design! I especially like her head, it's cuter in my opinion!!
I think you made the right choice with her design. As I said, she looks fantastic. :yes I wish I was that creative when it came to designing LBT-inspired characters. :rolleyes That reminds me, have you seen my art thread lately? I updated it with a new* picture a couple of days ago, and I'd love to hear what you think of it if you had the time and interest.

* Technically, it's a rather old picture, made at the turn of the decade. But it's new to the thread. :p

I attempted to fix 'em in my photoshop, but it was actually making the whole thing worse. I simply cannot draw using digital means... Stupid shaky mouse <_<
Yeah, I have the same problem. A pencil is the only drawing tool I can use with any degree of competency, and even then my hands are so unsteady and my mind's eye so blurry that I make tons of mistakes while drawing and have to erase and re-draw all the time. I used to draw pictures on the computer using the mouse a long time ago (all of it simplistic and much of it sloppy), but when the program I used was discontinued and I got a new computer, I pretty much gave up on digital artwork. :neutral

"Stygia... She's terrified of you."

"What for?" Teryx asked, tilting his head. "I mean, I know Tero's uglier than a sharptooth, but there's nothing to be afraid of." Only then did the Flyer notice that Tero's glare had shifted to him and there was silence before Teryx sighed in resignation. "Here it comes...."

In an instant, Teryx was on the ground quite a distance away, having been charged and rammed by the angry Domehead (this earned an especially frightened bugle from the still-pacing Stygia nearby).
Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing at that. :lol Oh Teryx, I think you kinda disproved your own statement there (about there being nothing to fear from Tero). You're right, he does need to learn to keep his mouth shut.

"It was a great pleasure meeting you all. You have no idea how much talking to you meant to me..." Expertly holding back her tears, she offered a smile before turning away and walking towards Stygia, leaving behind her last hope of fulfilling her dreams of joining a herd.
Aww…now I want to hug Toni, too. :cry (Sure, it could potentially be painful, :p but I think it would be possible to avoid her spikes.)

The new picture is really well done. :wow Tero is just awesome. You drew him SO well at that angle, and everything about him looks good: the feet, the hands, the arms, the nose horns, the eyes, the mouth, even the patch of scuffed-up dirt beneath his foot. If there’s anything on him that could use improvement, it’s his knees, which might be a little bit too sharply bent, and look like they’re a little far from his body (Stygia’s knee joints, by comparison, are very close to her torso, and look very accurate).

Stygia also looks fantastic. I can see why she’s so scared of Tero’s kind; she’s a lot smaller than I expected. The pose and anatomy are as good as Tero’s, and she comes off very clearly as terrified and wanting to get away from Tero. Besides her (excellently drawn) expression, a great deal of her terror is conveyed just by the position of her hands (I love how well you did the hands). And even though she is partially blocked by Stygia and Tero, Toni looks great as well. I think her pattern looks better than it did in your first drawing of her, and I really like the way you drew her crouched down (her forelegs in particular). Poor Teryx doesn’t look as impressive by comparison, though you did a good job drawing him from the back like that; I don’t think I’ve ever drawn a dinosaur from that angle. Teryx’s snout looks a little too deep, and his eyes are kind of far back, and I guess his wings are a little simplistic (but hey, we both know what a pain it is to draw a lot of feathers). In any case, you more than make up for any shortcomings with Teryx in this picture with your next one.

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 6 2012 on  12:26 PM
So I introduced Teryx to video games and he catches on fairly quickly. What he doesn't understand was that since he's my OC, I am his GOD and with just a wandering thought fleeting through my mostly-empty brain, his tail sprouted a hand! Teryx is not freaked out by this at all! :lol
I thought his tail already had a hand; it just looked like feathers. :p

Oh great, it's self-aware. Now Teryx is going to get into fights with his own tail. *imagines Teryx's hand-tail, bopping him on the head, slapping him, eye-poking him, strangling him, etc.* :lol

On the other hand (gah, unintended pun! :slap), I can imagine Teryx sneaking up on Tero and whacking him, then pointing to his tail and saying "he did it". :p

You know, Teryx should consider himself lucky. Real-life Archaeopteryx (and other feathered maniraptorans, as far as I know), had their primary wing feathers attached to their second finger, so it would have been even more awkward for them to play a video game. However, at least one dromaeosaur, Bambiraptor, had an opposable third finger that could fold back to meet its thumb, so it could have pinched small prey between two of its claws. (Unfortunately, from a human perspective it would look like it was flipping you off every time it picked something up. :p)

Anyway, back to the picture. This is probably the biggest picture of Teryx you’ve done since you introduced him in this thread, and it looks pretty good, especially the face. I gotta say, he looks rather ferocious with his teeth bared like that. You clearly put a lot of effort into drawing his mouth, and it shows. :yes Also, this is just me, but I think the giant sweatdrop may be a little too much; his expression is so telling that I don’t think he needs it (reptiles and birds can’t sweat, anyway).

Is his crest supposed to be raised up in surprise? I imagine Teryx would look hilarious with all his head feathers standing on end. :lol (…Oh great, now I’ve got the image of Teryx electrified with his crest sticking straight up and his feathers all frizzed out. :spit)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You know, Teryx should consider himself lucky. Real-life Archaeopteryx (and other feathered maniraptorans, as far as I know), had their primary wing feathers attached to their second finger, so it would have been even more awkward for them to play a video game.

That makes me think of this comic I found on DA. :lol

http://ewilloughby.deviantart.com/art/How-...aries-287545900

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That makes me think of this comic I found on DA.

http://ewilloughby.deviantart.com/art/How-...aries-287545900

:spit THAT MITE'S TROLL FACE!!!

Oh, dude, that's comic's AWESOME!! Even better was that I thought the whole thing was real at first, then I read the description. I think the biggest hint was the hilarious 'scientific name', Jurassopark complete****upius :lol

Thanks for sharing that comic, DH! I'mma be adding it to my faves now!

That reminds me, have you seen my art thread lately? I updated it with a new* picture a couple of days ago, and I'd love to hear what you think of it if you had the time and interest.

* Technically, it's a rather old picture, made at the turn of the decade. But it's new to the thread.

Yup, I've posted up a 'review' of it earlier today! I'm sorry it took so long; I was attempting to make it as insightful and thoughtful and awesome as your reviews. I'm not sure if I pulled it off :oops I admit, I'm not too good at criticizing and I usually lack the confidence needed to leave feedback of any sort, but since your a best buddy of mine, I decided to give it a shot! I hope you like what I had to say!

Yeah, I have the same problem. A pencil is the only drawing tool I can use with any degree of competency, and even then my hands are so unsteady and my mind's eye so blurry that I make tons of mistakes while drawing and have to erase and re-draw all the time. I used to draw pictures on the computer using the mouse a long time ago (all of it simplistic and much of it sloppy), but when the program I used was discontinued and I got a new computer, I pretty much gave up on digital artwork.

Thank you!! Digital drawing is evil and I'm glad you understand that! :D

Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing at that. Oh Teryx, I think you kinda disproved your own statement there (about there being nothing to fear from Tero). You're right, he does need to learn to keep his mouth shut.

SQUEEEE! I got you to laugh uncontrollably!! I'm sooooo very GLAD you think so!! That was one of my favorite parts to write!! It's too bad that it's physically impossible for Teryx to shut up! :lol

Aww…now I want to hug Toni, too. (Sure, it could potentially be painful, but I think it would be possible to avoid her spikes.)

I'm pretty sure a person could pull it off! Especially since Toni would appreciate a hug!

I can see why she’s so scared of Tero’s kind; she’s a lot smaller than I expected.

Yup, and to think that the Domehead trio who tried to kill her were each even larger than Tero! But Stygia's still pretty young, practically just starting her Age of Great Growing and probably equivalent to a 13 year old human (as oppose to Tero, who's much farther along in his development and is probably more akin to a 18 year old). I'm still trying to get a feel of just how big Stygia's going to get when full-grown compared to her Pachycephalosaurus cousins, but I guess such a thing doesn't really matter in the long-run, as I doubt she'll be aging in my stories anytime soon!

Poor Teryx doesn’t look as impressive by comparison, though you did a good job drawing him from the back like that; I don’t think I’ve ever drawn a dinosaur from that angle. Teryx’s snout looks a little too deep, and his eyes are kind of far back, and I guess his wings are a little simplistic (but hey, we both know what a pain it is to draw a lot of feathers). In any case, you more than make up for any shortcomings with Teryx in this picture with your next one.

Yeah, Teryx was more of an afterthought in the picture, although I did have fun experimenting with the back-view perspective. I remember having a hard time figuring out what was wrong with Teryx, as he didn't look right even before I inked it, and I couldn't put my finger on it. But now that you've pointed it out, I can see it clearly now :yes . Shame when that happens, but thank you sooooo much for telling me what's wrong, Pangy!! You've settled some frustrations I was having looking at the pic and wondering why Teryx looked so 'off'.

I thought his tail already had a hand; it just looked like feathers.

:lol

Oh great, it's self-aware. Now Teryx is going to get into fights with his own tail. *imagines Teryx's hand-tail, bopping him on the head, slapping him, eye-poking him, strangling him, etc.*

On the other hand (gah, unintended pun! ), I can imagine Teryx sneaking up on Tero and whacking him, then pointing to his tail and saying "he did it".

Pffffft,  :spit Okay! Now you know I have to draw Teryx fighting with his tail!! That is PRICELESS!!!

Yay, unintended pun!! And I can soooooo imagine Teryx doing that too!! The 'rivalry' between the two is among my favorite parts of emphasize whenever I do something regarding the OC gang (as shown in the next pic I'm gonna be putting up!).

You know, Teryx should consider himself lucky. Real-life Archaeopteryx (and other feathered maniraptorans, as far as I know), had their primary wing feathers attached to their second finger, so it would have been even more awkward for them to play a video game. However, at least one dromaeosaur, Bambiraptor, had an opposable third finger that could fold back to meet its thumb, so it could have pinched small prey between two of its claws. (Unfortunately, from a human perspective it would look like it was flipping you off every time it picked something up. )

Something about that new position of feathers (attached as far up as the second finger) is so cute; I'mma probably draw a realistic Teryx later!! Really, the wings of a 'resting', non-airborne Teryx was inspired by Guido's wings. It seemed like a logical choice!

But would it be that difficult to play video games? Since the maniraptors had their hands facing inwards and the feathers were positioned underneath, I don't think it'll be too difficult to hold a typical game controller, which requires inward facing hands to begin with. Though the lack of opposible thumbs can be a problem. Eh, don't listen to me ramble, I dunno what I'm talking about! :^.^:

A dinosaur be flipping me off; I would like to draw that, but I would feel it's inappropriate... :DD

Anyway, back to the picture. This is probably the biggest picture of Teryx you’ve done since you introduced him in this thread, and it looks pretty good, especially the face. I gotta say, he looks rather ferocious with his teeth bared like that. You clearly put a lot of effort into drawing his mouth, and it shows. Also, this is just me, but I think the giant sweatdrop may be a little too much; his expression is so telling that I don’t think he needs it (reptiles and birds can’t sweat, anyway).

:lol You think he looked ferocious like that, you should see him when he's angry! Then you can certainly see how he's basically just a tiny, feathered sharptooth!!

The sweatdrop was just a whim, basically added for added comedy!!  :D

Is his crest supposed to be raised up in surprise? I imagine Teryx would look hilarious with all his head feathers standing on end. (…Oh great, now I’ve got the image of Teryx electrified with his crest sticking straight up and his feathers all frizzed out. )

Yup. :yes Whenever Teryx is surprised, angry, or (sometimes) scared, his crest perks up; typically the higher it is, the more strongly he's feeling. Although, the first feather in the crest is always up and tilting a little forward, no matter the mood.

*adds a little something to my list of things to draw* :p

And now, my next pic!! Okay, this one is a bit random, so let me explain first.

Since making my previous pic of Teryx with video games, I decided to start drawing a series of pictures based on my OC gang interacting with the modern world, namely my house. This series will include Tero's punching bag and Teryx's first encounter with an electrical outlet :smile . But this one will be the official start in the series.

Okay, so I'm teaching Cookie and Tiki how to cook and of course wherever Tiki is, Tero isn't far. He's very bored with my lesson, but when I got to the part about cooking chicken, he suddenly shows a very high interest. Knowing better but choosing to ignore my suspicions, I teach him how to properly cook a bird. Then afterwards, I go off to set up the Domehead's new punching bag in the garage. Upon completing the task, I go off to find Tero....

And what scene did I end up walking into? Yeah, I walked into this:

Me- Um...Tero? I don't think you quite understand the concept of Roast Chicken...
Tero- What makes you say that?
Me- Well first of all, I'm pretty sure the chicken's supposed to be dead, plucked, and...you know...an actual chicken.
Tero- Details. :rolleyes

Don't worry, the oven isn't on and Tero has no intention of eating him (Though Teryx didn't know that; he just got done reading my Guilty Until Proven Innocent story, so the idea of being eaten by a Domehead is now very real to him :D ). Tiki eventually arrived at the scene and tells the 'playful' Tero to cut it out and let Teryx go. Tero responded with, "Only until he's a golden brown".

Wow, I really do love drawing these two, and certainly love messing with Teryx! I also couldn't resist putting Tero in a chef's outfit :lol !! He found it in one of the drawers and decided to try it on simply because he can and because he's been watching too many episodes of Hell's Kitchen! :p

Anyways, the background's still crap, but crap based on something. That something is my actual kitchen. Of course, a highly simplified version. Meh. Plus, in my desire to keep both characters completely within the boundaries of the paper, I've made Tero's tail a bit too short. I don't like it  <_<

Oh well! I hope you guys like this!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 15 2012 on  11:27 PM
That reminds me, have you seen my art thread lately? I updated it with a new* picture a couple of days ago, and I'd love to hear what you think of it if you had the time and interest.

* Technically, it's a rather old picture, made at the turn of the decade. But it's new to the thread.
Yup, I've posted up a 'review' of it earlier today! I'm sorry it took so long; I was attempting to make it as insightful and thoughtful and awesome as your reviews. I'm not sure if I pulled it off :oops I admit, I'm not too good at criticizing and I usually lack the confidence needed to leave feedback of any sort, but since your a best buddy of mine, I decided to give it a shot! I hope you like what I had to say!
Don't worry; you did an awesome job. I loved your review, and will be responding to it soon. ;) Thank you so much.

Yeah, Teryx was more of an afterthought in the picture, although I did have fun experimenting with the back-view perspective. I remember having a hard time figuring out what was wrong with Teryx, as he didn't look right even before I inked it, and I couldn't put my finger on it. But now that you've pointed it out, I can see it clearly now :yes . Shame when that happens, but thank you sooooo much for telling me what's wrong, Pangy!! You've settled some frustrations I was having looking at the pic and wondering why Teryx looked so 'off'.
Wow. Didn't realize my comment was so helpful. You're very welcome, Sparky. :)

Pffffft,  :spit Okay! Now you know I have to draw Teryx fighting with his tail!! That is PRICELESS!!!
Here's one idea: how about Teryx with his tail clamped around his throat while he attempts to strangle his tail with his hands (failing to consider that it's kinda pointless to strangle something that doesn't even have a windpipe :p). …You know, I just realized that I was probably subconsciously inspired to come up with that idea by the "skull puppets" scene from Ice Age 3 ("He's strangling his own foot!"). :lol

Something about that new position of feathers (attached as far up as the second finger) is so cute; I'mma probably draw a realistic Teryx later!! Really, the wings of a 'resting', non-airborne Teryx was inspired by Guido's wings. It seemed like a logical choice!
Makes sense to me, too. Unfortunately to say, LBT dinosaurs are rife with anatomical inaccuraciesófeatherless fast biters, theropods with pronated hands, elevated nostrils on longnecks, etc.óso if you're trying to emulate the show's style as accurately as possible, you may have to deliberately incorporate inaccuracies into your dinosaurs.

Ooh, I'd love to see a realistic Teryx! :DD Don't forget to give him mini leg-wings (sort of like Microraptor's, but much smaller and only extending down to the ankle joint) and small sickle claws; Archaeopteryx is now known to have had both of those characteristics. His body feathers should also be poofy, such that his legs above the knees are completely hidden, his neck appears thick and relatively straight, and his body overall looks plump and fluffy. :lol Just like modern birds, feathered dinosaurs were a whole lot fluffier than their skeletons alone would suggest, with most of their body contours hidden beneath poofed-out plumage.

Sorry…I don't mean to tell you how to draw Realistic Teryx, :unsure: I just thought you might appreciate the tips.

But would it be that difficult to play video games? Since the maniraptors had their hands facing inwards and the feathers were positioned underneath, I don't think it'll be too difficult to hold a typical game controller, which requires inward facing hands to begin with. Though the lack of opposible thumbs can be a problem. Eh, don't listen to me ramble, I dunno what I'm talking about! :^.^:
Hmm…I'm not sure. I guess it might depend on the kind of console they're using. The smaller the buttons, and the more of them there were, the more awkward it would be. I don't know a whole lot about the range of motion theropod fingers had (it almost certainly varied between species and families), though I'm guessing most of them were limited to flexing straight back and forth. If there was any digit that had a wider range of motion, it would probably have been the thumb, though I'd assume it wasn't nearly as flexible as the human thumb. Their claws would probably give them some trouble, too: a raptor's game console would probably become rapidly pockmarked with holes. :p

You think he looked ferocious like that, you should see him when he's angry! Then you can certainly see how he's basically just a tiny, feathered sharptooth!!
Yes, I have never relished the prospect of an angry Archaeopteryx latched onto my face. Though it is an experience I have fantasized about inflicting on my characters, sadly. :lol

Since making my previous pic of Teryx with video games, I decided to start drawing a series of pictures based on my OC gang interacting with the modern world, namely my house. This series will include Tero's punching bag and Teryx's first encounter with an electrical outlet.
Oh boy, I love this concept. :lol Is Tero going to be wearing boxing gloves in the punching bag pic? (Then again, maybe he doesn't use his fists much when he beats on Teryx…) :idea If you had already introduced Tero to art materials at the time, would he have drawn a picture of Teryx on the bag? :lol Ooh, ooh! You should also draw Cookie encountering a box of her namesake (and probably consuming the entire contents :p).

Aw, poor Teryx. He really does look terrified. You did a really great job drawing him, though: his eyes and face convey his terror perfectly, and all the little details of his crest, legs, hands, tail feathers, and even the ropes binding him are excellently done. Tero is great, too. He actually looks genuinely hungry for a chicken (or Archaeopteryx) dinner :blink: (no wonder Teryx is so frightened). His hands and forearms look absolutely perfect holding the platter, although the line forming the top of his shoulder curves back a little too far, I think. And the toque looks awesome. The little folds in the…puffy part at the top are so realistically detailed. :wow The whole chef's outfit looks surprisingly good on him. The hat sorta complements the ring of bumps surrounding his dome.

Anyways, the background's still crap, but crap based on something. That something is my actual kitchen. Of course, a highly simplified version. Meh.
Simple, yes, but looks pretty good in my opinion. :yes Did you use a ruler to make the lines? They're impressively straight. (A little slanted, too, but I'm guessing that's just because of how the picture was scanned.) The only real problem I can find is that the angle of the drawer beneath the oven does not match the perspective of the oven itself, so the oven door looks a bit like it is hanging off its hinges.

By the way, I got your e-mail with the "Pillrus" picture attached, and sent you a response. You received that, right? Just checking.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Don't worry; you did an awesome job. I loved your review, and will be responding to it soon. Thank you so much.

Yayz!!! I did goodly!! And you be welcomez! :D

Here's one idea: how about Teryx with his tail clamped around his throat while he attempts to strangle his tail with his hands (failing to consider that it's kinda pointless to strangle something that doesn't even have a windpipe ). …You know, I just realized that I was probably subconsciously inspired to come up with that idea by the "skull puppets" scene from Ice Age 3 ("He's strangling his own foot!").

That sounds good!! In fact, I'mma have several drawings of the fight on one paper and that suggestion of yours is certainly gonna be one of them!!

Oh yeah, I remember that scene!! Buck is friggin' awesome!!! Only Rudy's better than him in that movie, at least in my opinion!! :DD

Makes sense to me, too. Unfortunately to say, LBT dinosaurs are rife with anatomical inaccuraciesófeatherless fast biters, theropods with pronated hands, elevated nostrils on longnecks, etc.óso if you're trying to emulate the show's style as accurately as possible, you may have to deliberately incorporate inaccuracies into your dinosaurs.

:lol It's kinda sad that one has to actively put it inaccuracies in order to be accurate!!

Ooh, I'd love to see a realistic Teryx! Don't forget to give him mini leg-wings (sort of like Microraptor's, but much smaller and only extending down to the ankle joint) and small sickle claws; Archaeopteryx is now known to have had both of those characteristics. His body feathers should also be poofy, such that his legs above the knees are completely hidden, his neck appears thick and relatively straight, and his body overall looks plump and fluffy. Just like modern birds, feathered dinosaurs were a whole lot fluffier than their skeletons alone would suggest, with most of their body contours hidden beneath poofed-out plumage.

Sorry…I don't mean to tell you how to draw Realistic Teryx, I just thought you might appreciate the tips.

Awwww, it's no problem. I really do appreciate those tips, as I would certainly need as much help as I could get. Plus..... I love the notion of fluffy-ness. :p

Hmm…I'm not sure. I guess it might depend on the kind of console they're using. The smaller the buttons, and the more of them there were, the more awkward it would be. I don't know a whole lot about the range of motion theropod fingers had (it almost certainly varied between species and families), though I'm guessing most of them were limited to flexing straight back and forth. If there was any digit that had a wider range of motion, it would probably have been the thumb, though I'd assume it wasn't nearly as flexible as the human thumb. Their claws would probably give them some trouble, too: a raptor's game console would probably become rapidly pockmarked with holes.

I think it's pretty awesome that we're seriously discussing raptors and similar dinosaurs playing video games!!  My life is almost complete now!! :lol

Yes, I have never relished the prospect of an angry Archaeopteryx latched onto my face. Though it is an experience I have fantasized about inflicting on my characters, sadly.

Just like your poor dinosona!!  :lol: Except it was from a whole bunch of angry Archaeopteryx!!

Oh boy, I love this concept. Is Tero going to be wearing boxing gloves in the punching bag pic? (Then again, maybe he doesn't use his fists much when he beats on Teryx…) If you had already introduced Tero to art materials at the time, would he have drawn a picture of Teryx on the bag? Ooh, ooh! You should also draw Cookie encountering a box of her namesake (and probably consuming the entire contents ).

SQUEEEEEE! I'm so glad the concept is so well received from ya!! I know I'm gonna be having fun with it! The strange thing is, I had already finished my punching-bag picture and was in the process of coloring it when I first read that part of your comment. And well... I'll show you after the responses!! :smile

Ooooooo!! Cookie eating cookies!! That has cuteness written all over it!!

Aw, poor Teryx. He really does look terrified. You did a really great job drawing him, though: his eyes and face convey his terror perfectly, and all the little details of his crest, legs, hands, tail feathers, and even the ropes binding him are excellently done. Tero is great, too. He actually looks genuinely hungry for a chicken (or Archaeopteryx) dinner (no wonder Teryx is so frightened). His hands and forearms look absolutely perfect holding the platter, although the line forming the top of his shoulder curves back a little too far, I think. And the toque looks awesome. The little folds in the…puffy part at the top are so realistically detailed. The whole chef's outfit looks surprisingly good on him. The hat sorta complements the ring of bumps surrounding his dome.

I dunno why, but drawing Teryx's little hand was my favorite part of this pic. It's so....I dunno. And yayz!!! I did good on the hat!! I was soooo worried about it cuz I honestly can't do hats and clothing in general really well. So hearing I did the (rather tricky) puffy part right makes me happy!! And Tero does look good in a chef's outfit, doesn't he? :DD

Simple, yes, but looks pretty good in my opinion. Did you use a ruler to make the lines? They're impressively straight. (A little slanted, too, but I'm guessing that's just because of how the picture was scanned.) The only real problem I can find is that the angle of the drawer beneath the oven does not match the perspective of the oven itself, so the oven door looks a bit like it is hanging off its hinges.

Most of the lines were hand drawn, but in the case of the countertop that's closest to the viewer, I had a little help from MS Paint (it finally proves useful for something :p ). And I totally agree that the oven part didn't look right. But when I was drawing this, I thought it was the door itself that's the problem and I kept erasing it and trying to make it look better to no avail before I finally just gave up. Looks like I've been focusing on the wrong thing the entire time :oops Thanks for pointing out the true source of the off-ness (again! :lol )!!

By the way, I got your e-mail with the "Pillrus" picture attached, and sent you a response. You received that, right? Just checking.

Yup, I did get your response. I've just been avoiding my yahoo account lately...

I got the punching bag picture done today!! It's not too good as its primary purpose (other than having some fun with the concept :lol ) was to practice drawing a Domehead from a different angle (I really am hard-set on practicing for my AMV, now that my Guilty Until Proven Innocent story is complete).

Tero is SEVERELY pissed off, moreso than usual at least. Nobody knows why (though the fact that he just got home from an Anger Management session probably holds a clue; aren't those sessions supposed to be helping him with his problems :unsure: ?!). Any attempt to ask for details from anyone but Tiki got a death glare in response, alongside a threatening charge in our direction. Tiki meanwhile only got a "Don't wanna talk about it."

Anyway, regarding that hideous little critter that's beginning to regain consciousness? Yeah, normally, Tero only takes a few feathers from an unwilling Teryx so the punching bag can "feel and smell like [Tero's] hitting to real thing", but not this time. Teryx decided to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and say the wrong thing.... Tero knocked him out completely and proceeded to pluck every last feather off the little Flyer to attach to his punching bag (meanwhile, I'm NOT drawing each individual feather on that bag!! :p ). Teryx is just starting to wake up, as of yet unaware of his new appearance. Ouch.....Hopefully, it'll all grow back soon. Teryx just better be thankful Tero at least had the 'decency' to make sure he was unconscious during the whole plucking experience; otherwise, I can't imagine what torture that'll be for the little birdie... :(

And look at that in the corner. Yup, a punching bag graveyard. Tero goes through a LOT of 'em. I had him wearing boxing gloves cuz everytime he uses his hands, it's not to punch, but to slash the bag right open. But alas, even with the gloves, Tero still destroys the bags via his nose-horns.

And yes, that picture of Teryx's face was drawn and colored by Tero himself!

Anyway, I drew this without any references during my lunch break and my 15-minute break at work. I'm not particularly pleased with it, but it's certainly better than my other attempts!!  :DD I hope you guys like it and..... Beware the Angry Tero of Dooooooooom....

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 17 2012 on  06:28 PM
Sorry…I don't mean to tell you how to draw Realistic Teryx,  I just thought you might appreciate the tips.
Awwww, it's no problem. I really do appreciate those tips, as I would certainly need as much help as I could get. Plus..... I love the notion of fluffy-ness.
Well, I’m glad to hear that. Thanks. :) Here’s a couple more tips, then, in case you want them: remember that Archaeopteryx had a rather thin and pointy snout. I’m still unclear on what’s the correct way to reconstruct an Archaeopteryx skull, though I’m guessing that this picture is a fairly accurate example. (This artist draws some exceptionally adorable archies, even if they aren’t completely up to date.) As for the wing and leg feathers, this picture provides a pretty good reference.

It’s great that you love fluffy dinosaurs, because evidence suggests that a lot of them were even fluffier than previously thought. :lol For example, here&#8217;s a page
here’s a page that discusses how to accurately feather a Velociraptor; this has been my model for feathering raptors (allowing for differences between species) ever since I first saw it. (On the same blog there’s a post warning paleoartists of how not to draw Archaeopteryx, but unfortunately it doesn’t go into much detail on the right way to do it. The author does have his own reconstruction of Archaeopteryx here.)

I think it's pretty awesome that we're seriously discussing raptors and similar dinosaurs playing video games!!  My life is almost complete now!!
Agreed. One thing I love about talking with you is that we have these kinds of wacky conversations. :smile And yet no matter how goofy and random they get, we still discuss them with (at least some degree of) logic and scientificness, the same as any serious-minded discussion. We've got spazziness down to a SCIENCE! :P:

Yes, I have never relished the prospect of an angry Archaeopteryx latched onto my face. Though it is an experience I have fantasized about inflicting on my characters, sadly.
Just like your poor dinosona!! Except it was from a whole bunch of angry Archaeopteryx!!
Now how is it that I almost forgot about that? My dinosona got off easy: those Archaeopteryx were just mobbing him, trying to drive him away, not do him any real harm. However, I think I’ve envisioned a scene in which my walrus character (the same one from the “Pillrus” picture), while dealing with a scared and grounded archie, becomes the unfortunate wearer of a live Archaeopteryx mask.

Most of the lines were hand drawn, but in the case of the countertop that's closest to the viewer, I had a little help from MS Paint (it finally proves useful for something ). And I totally agree that the oven part didn't look right. But when I was drawing this, I thought it was the door itself that's the problem and I kept erasing it and trying to make it look better to no avail before I finally just gave up. Looks like I've been focusing on the wrong thing the entire time Thanks for pointing out the true source of the off-ness (again! )!!
You’re welcome. :) I wish I could have done that while you were actually drawing the picture, though. Then my observation would have been of some actual help.

Yup, I did get your response. I've just been avoiding my yahoo account lately...
Uh-oh, have you been having problems with your e-mail account? :unsure: Do you think you’ll have to get a new one or something? (If you do, you could always try Gmail; my brother has had both Yahoo! and Gmail accounts, and he tells me Gmail is much better. The emoticons are vastly inferior, though.) Sorry, just being panicky. I really want us to be able to continue our e-mail conversations!

I got the punching bag picture done today!! It's not too good as its primary purpose (other than having some fun with the concept ) was to practice drawing a Domehead from a different angle (I really am hard-set on practicing for my AMV, now that my Guilty Until Proven Innocent story is complete).
Hoo boy…I saw that picture on your DeviantArt account earlier, and positively cracked up. :lol Upon closer inspection, I decided that the picture was a mix of terrifying and gut-bustingly hilarious. Now that you've described the situation in detail, though…I'm not sure I should be laughing at all. :unsure: Geez, Tero is frightening. :blink: I don't think I'm gonna need a reminder in the RP not to tick him off; when Tero shows up, I'm hiding behind your dinosona (and taking Guido with me).

Tero is SEVERELY pissed off, moreso than usual at least. Nobody knows why (though the fact that he just got home from an Anger Management session probably holds a clue; aren't those sessions supposed to be helping him with his problems ?!).
Hmm…is his anger management group mostly made up of humans? I would think that being the only Pachycephalosaurus there wouldn't make things easy for him. Or maybe he just can't stand the other members of the group, and lost his temper at the session? To imagine an even worse scenario, perhaps Cepher, Pacia, and Rus showed up at the same session? (I'll tell you one thing: if I had to choose between dealing with those three on a good day, or dealing with an angry Tero, I'd choose Tero.)

Now here's one for the imagination: what if the other attendees at Tero's anger management group were all bad-tempered characters from various movies, cartoons, books and the like: Sierra, Ozzy, Lord Shen, Rattlesnake Jake, The Lizard, Goth, Raptor Red’s sister (not villainous, but certainly temperamental; she attacked ice, for crying out loud :lol), the aforementioned domehead trio, Captain Gutt from the new Ice Age movie, maybe even some of your other OCs. One thing's for sure: putting all of them in one room would be like holding a Fourth of July party in a gunpowder factory. :p

And poor, poor Teryx. :( I didn’t even recognize him at first; when I saw him, I wondered, “Who’s the speckled yellow lizard in the corner there?” (I always feel really bad for animals in cartoons that lose their fur or feathers in some way, even if it’s played for laughs. I feel even worse when this happens to real-life animals.)

Hmm…do you have any knitting supplies in your house? Maybe Tiki could make Teryx a sweater to wear until his feathers grow back. :idea (For some reason, I can very easily imagine a rainbow face using a pair of knitting needles. :lol) Perhaps Clubbie could help by standing nearby with balls of yarn stuck to his spikes? (For some reason I also envision him rolling one ball of yarn back around on the floor between his forefeet, like some sort of giant, armor-plated kitten. :lol)

And look at that in the corner. Yup, a punching bag graveyard. Tero goes through a LOT of 'em. I had him wearing boxing gloves cuz everytime he uses his hands, it's not to punch, but to slash the bag right open. But alas, even with the gloves, Tero still destroys the bags via his nose-horns.
You know, I didn’t even think of that when I suggested the boxing gloves. That’s brilliant! :! And the punching bag graveyard is genius. :lol I love how you can see slashes from Tero’s claws on the deceased bag; it hints at the learning experience that comes with each punching bag Tero destroys (Bag #1……Cause of death: claw slashes……Solution: make Tero wear boxing gloves). Ooh, and you even put his name on the gloves; that’s so cute! :lol

Is Tero going to need a glove for his nose now? Or, in perhaps the ultimate example of irony for a creature whose skull is adapted for headbutting, a helmet? (Doubly ironic in that the helmet wouldn’t be to protect Tero, but the punching bag, though it would have to be strapped to his snout rather than his head proper.)

It must be a lot of work cleaning up all that spilled sand. I’m guessing you’re reusing the sand in new punching bags, otherwise the floor of your garage would probably look like a beach by now.

I think the lesson we can take away from this (besides the obvious “NEVER get on Tero’s bad side”) is, “if you invite Tero to a birthday party, don’t let him have first go at the piÒata”.

And yes, that picture of Teryx's face was drawn and colored by Tero himself!
*sigh* If only Tero could channel his rage into making artwork instead of beating up other dinosaurs… I’d be afraid to look at his drawings, but at least he wouldn’t be physically hurting anyone. (Though I imagine he’d create a lot of confetti if he ever got frustrated while drawing. )

Anyway, I drew this without any references during my lunch break and my 15-minute break at work. I'm not particularly pleased with it, but it's certainly better than my other attempts!!
No references at all? :o Because this picture is really good! The punching bag and boxing gloves look very realistic and are easily recognizable (for some reason I find myself mildly mesmerized by the knot in the cord holding up the bag). The picture of Teryx taped to the punching bag is exactly what I imagined Tero would have there, and the feathers around it are really, really well done. :wow (Honestly, I can’t express how accurate they look, especially the red ones.) Even plucked Teryx is surprisingly well drawn. And though I agree that Tero’s torso could be improved, I think you did a great job drawing him from this angle. I especially like the look of his head and foot (his whole lower leg, really). His pose is very dynamic; it feels like he’s moving in to hit the bag. As for improvement, I’m not sure how to help you with this one, as I’m completely clueless on how to draw dinosaurs from this kind of angle. My suggestion would be to look at references (if you can’t find suitable views of domeheads from the back, try other bipedal dinosaurs in LBT), focusing on any creases or other details that indicate curvature of the spine and give the body three-dimensionality, since I think the main issue here is that most of Tero’s back looks like a single broad, flat surface. I’d also look at how the hind legs attach to the body from this angle; I would expect that more of Tero’s right hind leg would be visible where it connects to his hip. I could be wrong, though.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hope you don't mind me cutting into this two-way conversation, but I've got a fanart idea I think you might like, FBS. Inspired by a scene from one of my Bionicle books, it's basically a chance for Teryx to finally get his revenge on Tero.

Here's the scene I've thought of: Your OC gang is clearing away a rock slide. One of them complains about how heavy the rocks are. Tero scoffs and says "These rocks aren't heavy. Not to me, at least." Teryx happens to be on a ledge above Tero, and he notices a large rock right on the edge. As soon as he hears what Tero said, Teryx gets a mischievous idea. Due to the rock's size, he is barely strong enough to push that rock off the ledge, which then lands on Tero's head. The impact against his tough head causes the rock to fragment, but the unexpectedness of it is enough to make him grunt in pain. Teryx laughs and says with sarcasm, "Sorry, I didn't think it would be that heavy."

How do you like this idea?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lol I LOVE that pic of Tero about to cook Teryx, the expressions were wonderful and I love your style of Domeheads^^
also, I like the Punching Bag one, you had a good perspective going there, and I like the whole theme...
I am now very afraid of Domeheads with boxing gloves... I must perfect my side snap kick to defend myself^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Plus, in my desire to keep both characters completely within the boundaries of the paper, I've made Tero's tail a bit too short. I don't like it dry.gif

I often try to keep the characters/creatures I draw completely on paper a lot of times as well. A trick I learned with dealing with the tails, to keep them from going off the paper, is by having the tail be pointed in a different direction, either towards the 'camera' or away from it, more into the distance.

Another method I heard, but never used myself, is taping another piece of paper onto the picture you're drawing so you can have more room to draw. I saw this method used in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2nBsLHENSU&feature=plcp

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hope you don't mind me cutting into this two-way conversation, but I've got a fanart idea I think you might like, FBS. Inspired by a scene from one of my Bionicle books, it's basically a chance for Teryx to finally get his revenge on Tero.

Here's the scene I've thought of: Your OC gang is clearing away a rock slide. One of them complains about how heavy the rocks are. Tero scoffs and says "These rocks aren't heavy. Not to me, at least." Teryx happens to be on a ledge above Tero, and he notices a large rock right on the edge. As soon as he hears what Tero said, Teryx gets a mischievous idea. Due to the rock's size, he is barely strong enough to push that rock off the ledge, which then lands on Tero's head. The impact against his tough head causes the rock to fragment, but the unexpectedness of it is enough to make him grunt in pain. Teryx laughs and says with sarcasm, "Sorry, I didn't think it would be that heavy."

How do you like this idea?

:lol I love it!! It certainly sounds like a scene that would happen!! You can be sure that I'll be drawing that idea of yours; I'm already adding it to my list! Though that rock wall can be a bit difficult to draw, but I'll enjoy the challenge! :yes

And don't worry about cutting into the conversation! Any new potential friend is always welcomed to join in!

Lol I LOVE that pic of Tero about to cook Teryx, the expressions were wonderful and I love your style of Domeheads^^
also, I like the Punching Bag one, you had a good perspective going there, and I like the whole theme...
I am now very afraid of Domeheads with boxing gloves... I must perfect my side snap kick to defend myself^^

Thank you! Coming from such a skilled artist as yourself, I'm completely flattered that you actually like my work.

:lol: You should definitely be afraid of a Domehead with boxing gloves... I mean, a Domehead in general is to be feared, but a Domehead with boxing gloves?! *insert horror music here!!*

I often try to keep the characters/creatures I draw completely on paper a lot of times as well. A trick I learned with dealing with the tails, to keep them from going off the paper, is by having the tail be pointed in a different direction, either towards the 'camera' or away from it, more into the distance.

Another method I heard, but never used myself, is taping another piece of paper onto the picture you're drawing so you can have more room to draw. I saw this method used in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2nBsLHENSU&feature=plcp

I sometimes do that too, but I didn't think bending the tail in another direction would work whilst the character's walking forward. :D  And that link....must click....

*clicks the link and....* OMG!! He's drawing Toothless!! And wow, this guy's an AWESOME artist!!  :blink: Thanks for showing me his videos, DH!! His tips could certainly come in handy in future drawings!! *hugs ya!!*

Oh!! And I keep forgetting!! I typing up a One-shot for Stygia and Toni and I was wondering if it'll be alright if I use your chosen LBT name for a Gastonia. :)

Well, I’m glad to hear that. Thanks. Here’s a couple more tips, then, in case you want them: remember that Archaeopteryx had a rather thin and pointy snout. I’m still unclear on what’s the correct way to reconstruct an Archaeopteryx skull, though I’m guessing that this picture is a fairly accurate example. (This artist draws some exceptionally adorable archies, even if they aren’t completely up to date.) As for the wing and leg feathers, this picture provides a pretty good reference.

It’s great that you love fluffy dinosaurs, because evidence suggests that a lot of them were even fluffier than previously thought. For example, here’s a page that discusses how to accurately feather a Velociraptor; this has been my model for feathering raptors (allowing for differences between species) ever since I first saw it. (On the same blog there’s a post warning paleoartists of how not to draw Archaeopteryx, but unfortunately it doesn’t go into much detail on the right way to do it. The author does have his own reconstruction of Archaeopteryx here.)

Oooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the reference pictures!! The reconstruction of the Archie skull is soooooo CUTE!! And that one where the birdie's flying above the viewer with pterosaurs in the back ground.... :wow It's gorgeous!!

Agreed. One thing I love about talking with you is that we have these kinds of wacky conversations. And yet no matter how goofy and random they get, we still discuss them with (at least some degree of) logic and scientificness, the same as any serious-minded discussion. We've got spazziness down to a SCIENCE!

SCIENCE!!! Whooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :celebrate Spazziology should TOTALLY be a real thing!! :lol

Now how is it that I almost forgot about that? My dinosona got off easy: those Archaeopteryx were just mobbing him, trying to drive him away, not do him any real harm. However, I think I’ve envisioned a scene in which my walrus character (the same one from the “Pillrus” picture), while dealing with a scared and grounded archie, becomes the unfortunate wearer of a live Archaeopteryx mask.

Poor walrus!! I can see it in my head:

Walrus: Hi there!
Archie: Get away from me!!!
Walrus: Awww, but you're so cute. And maybe I can hel-
Archie: *goes Facehugger on poor Walrus*
Walrus: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh, have you been having problems with your e-mail account? Do you think you’ll have to get a new one or something? (If you do, you could always try Gmail; my brother has had both Yahoo! and Gmail accounts, and he tells me Gmail is much better. The emoticons are vastly inferior, though.) Sorry, just being panicky. I really want us to be able to continue our e-mail conversations!

It's a couple of things, really. Mostly my dad's been sending me TONS of nagging e-mails and we all know how much I like interacting with my dad <_< And my laptop's also freezes rather unpredictably if I go on my yahoo account. I have several e-mail accounts, but I don't really visit them very often.

Hoo boy…I saw that picture on your DeviantArt account earlier, and positively cracked up. Upon closer inspection, I decided that the picture was a mix of terrifying and gut-bustingly hilarious. Now that you've described the situation in detail, though…I'm not sure I should be laughing at all. Geez, Tero is frightening. I don't think I'm gonna need a reminder in the RP not to tick him off; when Tero shows up, I'm hiding behind your dinosona (and taking Guido with me).

Yayz!! More cracking up-ness, though I certainly understand why you would feel a bit bad for laughing in the first place. Poor Teryx.

And you'll have no worry in the RP. Tero's gonna be in a pretty decent mood when we meet him, although naturally, he ain't gonna be liking us (really, when does he ever like anybody but Tiki?). He'll have to be convinced my dinosona's not a sharptooth (if there's anything Tero hates more than Teryx, it's sharpteeth of any kind), and you and Guido he ain't gonna be fond of because you two are covered in feathers and thus reminds him of Teryx. But he ain't gonna hurt you or be any more hostile than he always is with new dinosaurs!!  :D

(I'll tell you one thing: if I had to choose between dealing with those three on a good day, or dealing with an angry Tero, I'd choose Tero.)

That's a VERY good choice! The trio will try to kill you even if they're in a good mood (it might actually be worse for them to be in a good mood, as they'll start 'playing' with ya before killing ya...). Dealing with an angry Tero, just don't talk to him or get in his way and then you'll be just fine. It also helps if you're not Teryx or a sharptooth...

Now here's one for the imagination: what if the other attendees at Tero's anger management group were all bad-tempered characters from various movies, cartoons, books and the like: Sierra, Ozzy, Lord Shen, Rattlesnake Jake, The Lizard, Goth, Raptor Red’s sister (not villainous, but certainly temperamental; she attacked ice, for crying out loud ), the aforementioned domehead trio, Captain Gutt from the new Ice Age movie, maybe even some of your other OCs. One thing's for sure: putting all of them in one room would be like holding a Fourth of July party in a gunpowder factory.

...............................................................................................................

You see that silence? Yeah, you just made me die of sheer AWESOMENESS!! Originally, yeah, it was just gonna be a bunch of humans, but..... I soooooooooo LOVE YOUR IDEA BETTER!!!!!!! And oooooooooooooooooo!!! You know of the Lizard?!

And poor, poor Teryx. I didn’t even recognize him at first; when I saw him, I wondered, “Who’s the speckled yellow lizard in the corner there?” (I always feel really bad for animals in cartoons that lose their fur or feathers in some way, even if it’s played for laughs. I feel even worse when this happens to real-life animals.)

Yeah, poor little guy. I also imagine he'll be feeling some lingering pain for a while. I imagine plucking feathers would be more painful than pulling out hair, since the feather's thicker and all. :unsure:

Hmm…do you have any knitting supplies in your house? Maybe Tiki could make Teryx a sweater to wear until his feathers grow back. (For some reason, I can very easily imagine a rainbow face using a pair of knitting needles. ) Perhaps Clubbie could help by standing nearby with balls of yarn stuck to his spikes? (For some reason I also envision him rolling one ball of yarn back around on the floor between his forefeet, like some sort of giant, armor-plated kitten. )

Nope, although my sister regularly buys fabrics and whatnot when she make plush toys!! Although, I won't hesitate to buy some knitting supplies!! That image is so cute!! Especially regarding Kitten Clubbie!! I can so see him playing with a ball of yarn!! *adds some more things to my drawing list) Wow, this list is getting HUGE!!!

Is Tero going to need a glove for his nose now? Or, in perhaps the ultimate example of irony for a creature whose skull is adapted for headbutting, a helmet? (Doubly ironic in that the helmet wouldn’t be to protect Tero, but the punching bag, though it would have to be strapped to his snout rather than his head proper.)

I was thinking a modified muzzle of some kind, but that image of a glove/helmet on Tero's snout!! *dies laughing* Although, in any case.... Tero's not gonna be too receptive; I hardly got him to agree with the boxing gloves....

I think the lesson we can take away from this (besides the obvious “NEVER get on Tero’s bad side”) is, “if you invite Tero to a birthday party, don’t let him have first go at the piÒata”.

Very good moral, most certainly!! Plus, he'll NEVER share the candy.

Now that I think about it... I would feel so sorry for that poor piÒata if Tero got a hold of one... I would imagine he'll order it to be in the shape of a certain little Flyer.... Cover the eyes of the children; it ain't gonna be pretty...

*sigh* If only Tero could channel his rage into making artwork instead of beating up other dinosaurs… I’d be afraid to look at his drawings, but at least he wouldn’t be physically hurting anyone. (Though I imagine he’d create a lot of confetti if he ever got frustrated while drawing. )

That would be some pretty morbid artwork.... I'm with you in being scared to look at 'em... Though that confetti would go great with our birthday party theme!! :DD

No references at all? Because this picture is really good! The punching bag and boxing gloves look very realistic and are easily recognizable (for some reason I find myself mildly mesmerized by the knot in the cord holding up the bag). The picture of Teryx taped to the punching bag is exactly what I imagined Tero would have there, and the feathers around it are really, really well done. (Honestly, I can’t express how accurate they look, especially the red ones.) Even plucked Teryx is surprisingly well drawn. And though I agree that Tero’s torso could be improved, I think you did a great job drawing him from this angle. I especially like the look of his head and foot (his whole lower leg, really). His pose is very dynamic; it feels like he’s moving in to hit the bag. As for improvement, I’m not sure how to help you with this one, as I’m completely clueless on how to draw dinosaurs from this kind of angle. My suggestion would be to look at references (if you can’t find suitable views of domeheads from the back, try other bipedal dinosaurs in LBT), focusing on any creases or other details that indicate curvature of the spine and give the body three-dimensionality, since I think the main issue here is that most of Tero’s back looks like a single broad, flat surface. I’d also look at how the hind legs attach to the body from this angle; I would expect that more of Tero’s right hind leg would be visible where it connects to his hip. I could be wrong, though.

Unfortunately, no references. I have a feeling it'll be infinitly better if I did have something to look at. I think there's at least one scene of a Domehead seen from the back (It was Rus, in fact), unfortunately it's not full body. I would certainly take your advice and search for other two-footer back pictures. I'm thinking some shading on the torso might make it look less flat, but I have no idea how to do the right foot. Seems we're both inexperienced and lost!! :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*clicks the link and....* OMG!! He's drawing Toothless!! And wow, this guy's an AWESOME artist!! blink.gif Thanks for showing me his videos, DH!! His tips could certainly come in handy in future drawings!! *hugs ya!!*

Oh!! And I keep forgetting!! I typing up a One-shot for Stygia and Toni and I was wondering if it'll be alright if I use your chosen LBT name for a Gastonia. smile.gif

You're welcome! :)

And sure, you may use the name if you'd like.

What program do you use, btw, to color?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yayz!!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!! :celebrate

I just use regular Photoshop Elements 7.0. It was already in my computer and it was either that or MS Paint. Not too complex or interesting... :neutral

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I thought it was Photoshop, but I couldn't remember if you mentioned that before or not.

And you're welcome. :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 22 2012 on  09:52 PM
:lol: You should definitely be afraid of a Domehead with boxing gloves... I mean, a Domehead in general is to be feared, but a Domehead with boxing gloves?! *insert horror music here!!*
Honestly, with those claws, I’d be more scared of a domehead without boxing gloves than one with boxing gloves. (I guess I’m looking at it from the punching bag’s perspective. :p)

You know, I wasn’t consciously thinking about this when I suggested drawing Tero with boxing gloves, but you know those old images of kangaroos wearing boxing gloves? From the late 19th to early 20th century, there were traveling shows that actually put boxing gloves on kangaroos and challenged people to fight them. The reason they had the kangaroos wear the gloves was to prevent them from latching on to their human opponents and eviscerating them with their hind feet. :blink: (As it was, the humans usually got their butts kicked…literally or otherwise.) It occurred to me that your reason for putting boxing gloves on Tero is almost the same: to protect the thing he's attacking.

For the record, it is apparently not known what the hands of real pachycephalosaurs looked like, though they probably had four or five fingers like their relatives the ceratopsians. Stegocerasóone of the few pachies known from fairly complete remainsóis known to have had very short arms, so I would assume that its hand claws probably weren’t too formidable (Most pachy reconstructions give them stubby fingers and blunt claws, so evidently most paleontologists think the same). So if you were dealing with an angry pachy in real life, the hand claws would probably be the least of your worries.

Oooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the reference pictures!! The reconstruction of the Archie skull is soooooo CUTE!! And that one where the birdie's flying above the viewer with pterosaurs in the back ground.... :wow It's gorgeous!!
In case I haven't told you about him before, that last painting is by Luis V. Rey, one of my favorite paleoartists. He has a Web site, which isn't often updated but has several of his pictures (though some are rather poor quality scans :(), as well as a blog, which is thankfully much more active.

Poor walrus!! I can see it in my head:

Walrus: Hi there!
Archie: Get away from me!!!
Walrus: Awww, but you're so cute. And maybe I can hel-
Archie: *goes Facehugger on poor Walrus*
Walrus: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's actually extremely similar to how I envisioned it, :lol except that the Archaeopteryx didn't talk (or rather, the walrus couldn't understand his language).

It's a couple of things, really. Mostly my dad's been sending me TONS of nagging e-mails and we all know how much I like interacting with my dad <_< And my laptop's also freezes rather unpredictably if I go on my yahoo account. I have several e-mail accounts, but I don't really visit them very often.
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Do you want me to re-send those last two messages of mine to one of your other e-mail accounts so you can respond to them from there? You can send me the alternate address by PM.

Sorry I'm so avid about continuing our conversations; I just really miss talking to you. Plus, I want to know what you thought of what I thought of your "Pillrus" picture, and what you thought of my version (the original). :smile

And you'll have no worry in the RP. Tero's gonna be in a pretty decent mood when we meet him, although naturally, he ain't gonna be liking us (really, when does he ever like anybody but Tiki?). He'll have to be convinced my dinosona's not a sharptooth (if there's anything Tero hates more than Teryx, it's sharpteeth of any kind), and you and Guido he ain't gonna be fond of because you two are covered in feathers and thus reminds him of Teryx. But he ain't gonna hurt you or be any more hostile than he always is with new dinosaurs!!  :D
Uh-oh, I might have a bit of a dilemma then. :unsure: If Tero starts showing aggression towards Sparky, my character will feel compelled to assure him that she's not a sharptooth, thus drawing attention to himself. He'll also have to worry about Ozzy saying or doing something stupid that makes Tero angry…that could get ugly real fast.

Now here's one for the imagination: what if the other attendees at Tero's anger management group were all bad-tempered characters from various movies, cartoons, books and the like: Sierra, Ozzy, Lord Shen, Rattlesnake Jake, The Lizard, Goth, Raptor Red’s sister (not villainous, but certainly temperamental; she attacked ice, for crying out loud ), the aforementioned domehead trio, Captain Gutt from the new Ice Age movie, maybe even some of your other OCs. One thing's for sure: putting all of them in one room would be like holding a Fourth of July party in a gunpowder factory.
...............................................................................................................

You see that silence? Yeah, you just made me die of sheer AWESOMENESS!! Originally, yeah, it was just gonna be a bunch of humans, but..... I soooooooooo LOVE YOUR IDEA BETTER!!!!!!!
Yeah, I thought that'd be an image you'd like. :lol

And oooooooooooooooooo!!! You know of the Lizard?!
Is that really a surprise given how much I talk to you? :p Yeah, I have some familiarity with Spider-Man villains. I've only seen the first three movies (though I do plan to watch the 2012 reboot when it comes out on DVD), never the TV shows or comics. Actually I think I originally found out about the Lizard from browsing the Deviantart page of a guy who drew lots of dinosaurs, but also some very cool Lizard fanart.

Nope, although my sister regularly buys fabrics and whatnot when she make plush toys!! Although, I won't hesitate to buy some knitting supplies!! That image is so cute!! Especially regarding Kitten Clubbie!! I can so see him playing with a ball of yarn!! *adds some more things to my drawing list) Wow, this list is getting HUGE!!!

I was thinking a modified muzzle of some kind, but that image of a glove/helmet on Tero's snout!! *dies laughing* Although, in any case.... Tero's not gonna be too receptive; I hardly got him to agree with the boxing gloves....
Maybe if Teryx discovers glue (…well, he'll probably first try using it to stick his feathers back on, inevitably creating a mess :p), he could get back at Tero by gluing one of the gloves to his nose while he's sleeping. :lol

Gaaah, I still haven't responded your your review in my art thread! :slap I'll get to that right now.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
You know, I wasn’t consciously thinking about this when I suggested drawing Tero with boxing gloves, but you know those old images of kangaroos wearing boxing gloves? From the late 19th to early 20th century, there were traveling shows that actually put boxing gloves on kangaroos and challenged people to fight them. The reason they had the kangaroos wear the gloves was to prevent them from latching on to their human opponents and eviscerating them with their hind feet.  (As it was, the humans usually got their butts kicked…literally or otherwise.) It occurred to me that your reason for putting boxing gloves on Tero is almost the same: to protect the thing he's attacking.

Only one thing comes to mind: Tero vs kangaroo....

Ahhhhh!! I already have him butting heads with a musk ox when we visit the zoo (along with the other gang members interacting with other animals)!! I don't need him picking a fight with every animal he sees, though it would be within character!! :lol

For the record, it is apparently not known what the hands of real pachycephalosaurs looked like, though they probably had four or five fingers like their relatives the ceratopsians. Stegocerasóone of the few pachies known from fairly complete remainsóis known to have had very short arms, so I would assume that its hand claws probably weren’t too formidable (Most pachy reconstructions give them stubby fingers and blunt claws, so evidently most paleontologists think the same). So if you were dealing with an angry pachy in real life, the hand claws would probably be the least of your worries.

Stubby arms!!! I guess that's why I love the LBT Domeheads so much (besides the fact that, you know, they're awesome) : their designs differ from the usual, as if Don Bluth intentionally wanted to do the opposite of the norm. As the Domehead trio demonstrates, I think the LBT Domeheads would make an ideal sharptooth, what, with every inch of them practically made to kill something! :blink:

That's actually extremely similar to how I envisioned it,  except that the Archaeopteryx didn't talk (or rather, the walrus couldn't understand his language).

Another great example of how our minds think alike!!

I'm really sorry to hear that.  Do you want me to re-send those last two messages of mine to one of your other e-mail accounts so you can respond to them from there? You can send me the alternate address by PM.

Sorry I'm so avid about continuing our conversations; I just really miss talking to you. Plus, I want to know what you thought of what I thought of your "Pillrus" picture, and what you thought of my version (the original).

I'll probably do that; here's hoping I remember my passwords!! :lol

Awwwww!!! *hugs* I'm so sorry for torturing you with such a long wait (then again, I like torturing my friends :p  :lol ) ! I'm hoping our interactions here will fulfill the much-needed daily dose of spazz! And keep an eye on your PM, I'll send ya an e-mail address asap!

Uh-oh, I might have a bit of a dilemma then.  If Tero starts showing aggression towards Sparky, my character will feel compelled to assure him that she's not a sharptooth, thus drawing attention to himself. He'll also have to worry about Ozzy saying or doing something stupid that makes Tero angry…that could get ugly real fast.

Oooooo, conflict! Yummy! I'm just kidding! :lol  

((WARNING: AT THIS POINT OF THE RESPONSE, I'M GROWING VERY SLEEPY, SO SORRY IF NONE OF THIS MAKE SENSE OR SOMETHING :smile ))

Don't worry, Pangy! My dinosona knows how Tero thinks and he won't even have to verbally acknowledge his assumptions for her to settle them (that split-second look of suspicion in her direction is all that's needed!) . She knows the Tests and interrogation questions that Tero gives to 'suspected sharpteeth' (basically any unknown creature that looks like a sharptooth, but can talk). In fact, I imagined this scene at work, where I quickly and nonchalantly answer all questions and complete the necessary tasks BEFORE he even demands it! And this'll get a humorous 'WTF?' look.

There's also the thought of Teryx catching a glimpse of your dinosona's red plumage and for a second, he thinks he's finally met a Feathered Flyer that looks like him, until he sees the bigger picture; which leads to some disappointment, but also a great sense of curiosity. Awwww, I wonder how you three feathery bundles will get along!

As for Ozzy, here's to hoping he won't do anything stupid :lol . Though he might get lucky if he does let a few stupid things slip out. Tero usually (emphasis on 'usually') feels that "weak and cowardly" Egg Stealers aren't worth his trouble. Though I imagine he will certainly 'get along' with Strut, as that adorably nervous little Egg Stealer seems like one who would do as he's told without too much of a fuss and that's a trait Tero likes (to take advantage of...) .

Unless you like putting your dinosona in dilemmas, in which case, nevermind  :lol . I am curious on how such a dilemma will play out, but I'm happy with any outcome you would prefer! And of course if you have your own alternative idea, I'd love to hear that too! :DD

Yeah, I thought that'd be an image you'd like.

You know me oh-so-well!! Stop killing me with epicness! :lol:

Is that really a surprise given how much I talk to you?  Yeah, I have some familiarity with Spider-Man villains. I've only seen the first three movies (though I do plan to watch the 2012 reboot when it comes out on DVD), never the TV shows or comics. Actually I think I originally found out about the Lizard from browsing the Deviantart page of a guy who drew lots of dinosaurs, but also some very cool Lizard fanart.

*goes all fangirl* I be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Lizard fan!! An evil giant reptile that hate mammals....he's like a dream character!! And those are some awesome Lizzie artwork you be linking! I see he's going for the Ulimate Spider-Man look!!

Maybe if Teryx discovers glue (…well, he'll probably first try using it to stick his feathers back on, inevitably creating a mess ), he could get back at Tero by gluing one of the gloves to his nose while he's sleeping.

*cracks up* These pranks will never end!!

At least I'm currently coloring a new pic that'll show a different side to the Tero and Teryx relationship! I'm hoping to get it done before bed (despite how utterly tired I am right now), and if not, in the morning. Gah, and I have to finish my Toni and Stygia One-Shot....plus my new Guilty Until Proven Innocent one-shot.... plus write out the Thud part of my RP reply....plus draw some more....plus eat chocolate...plus take over the world and rule it mercilessly as an all-powerful dictator plant happy flowers and live peacefully with all humanity. Phew, I got my work cut out for me! Luckily, I'm off work tomorrow!

Gaaah, I still haven't responded your your review in my art thread!  I'll get to that right now.

No pressure, buddy!!

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Double post; I don't wanna wait to submit my newest pic. I've been postponing it for a while now! :p

Okay, the situation: The gang find themselves in new lands, but unfortunately said lands are in the middle of a drought. Starving to the point of actually growing thinner from the lack of food, the group decide to split up to make their search for sustanence more effective. Teryx manages to find a little oasis of trees for his friends (he himself eats bugs, lizards, mammals, etc. and thus is having a bit more of an easier time finding food....but not by much), and he attempts to mob and bad-mouth a Flyer that was hiding within the branches. Unfortunately, said Flyer is a sharptooth lying in wait for prey and Teryx has now become the target.

Finding himself outmatched, his instincts for self-preservation FINALLY starts to outweigh his inflated ego and he flies off to find one of his friends. And which 'friend' does he find first?

It was no use! No matter what Teryx did to shake off the predator, he was being matched. As a smaller Feathered Flyer, he was more maneuverable in flight than his non-feathered counterpart, but this sharptooth was faster and his flight more effortless. Plus, the Sharptooth Flyer was no quitter. Food was just getting too difficult to come across and the energy needed to catch this fluttering, arrogant little morsel was well worth it!

Darting through the barren landscape, Teryx put everything he had into his tiring wings. Ugh! Of all times to meet a carnivore he couldn't fly away from, it had to be when he was running low on biological fuel! Panting heavily, he still felt like he wasn't getting enough air and he knew he'll collapse from exhaustion soon. He had to find his friends!!

Luck was with him, it seemed, for he caught sight of movement on the horizon. Not bothering to figure out the identity of the dinosaur, he made for it, practically feeling jaws snapping at his tail. Instinctively darting higher to avoid the faster Flyer, he felt the turbulence as the sharptooth soared by just below him. He circled around in a dodge as the sharptooth turned to lunge for him and resumed his kamikaze flight towards the source of the movement.

Finally coming close enough to see who it was, he felt great conflict happening in his head. No WAY was he going to go to him for help! But did he really have a choice? The Sharptooth Flyer was closing the distance fast and he'll be dead in a few minutes! But what if Tero's hatred for him is so strong that the Domehead's willing to let him die? Well, he'll just have to hope for the best as he pulled in his wings and dove for the foraging Leaf Eater.

He couldn't believe what was about to come out of his mouth but- "Tero! HELP!!!" In his panicked exhaustion, he had forgotten his Leaf Eater words and the plea came out as a bird-like shriek. Luckily, it still had the desired effect and Tero looked up at him.

Meh, it's just Teryx and.... It only took Tero a second to figure out what was going on and he needed no further prompting to act. Yes, he hated Teryx with a passion, but the feathery bundle was part of his herd and as leader of said herd, he had to offer protection from scenarios like this. Crouching down, the Domehead judged the trajectory and timing perfectly before he leapt into the air, whipping up a small cloud of dust.

The Sharptooth Flyer had managed to catch up with his prey once more and had just enough time to sink his teeth into feathers. But when he caught sight of the Domehead leaping for him, he dropped Teryx with a screech of panic. But it was too late and he was going too fast to change course.

The collision between Tero and the Flyer as well as Teryx and the ground happened simultaneously. Crashing into the dirt, Teryx's coat hardly absorbed any of the impact and he barely had enough of his senses left to cringe at the horrid crunching sound when Tero smashed the sharptooth into the hard and unforgiving earth. The little bird then fell limp, just on the verge of unconsciousness.

Tero stood up and glared at the body of the stupid predatory Flyer, exhaling a cloud of disdain before turning away and wandering to the motionless Teryx. Was he still alive? He couldn't find a stick to poke him with, so instead, he nudged him with a foot.

Teryx opened his eyes at the small push and looked up at his rescuer. Well....this was a strange situation he found himself in. He supposed he should thank the Domehead....maybe.... But there was only silence between them as he couldn't find the energy to voice any word of any kind at the moment. So instead, he closed his eyes again as unconsciousness finally took hold.

The Domehead glanced around before contemplating his next course of action. Coming to an easy decision, he picked up the pile the feathers lying comatosed at his feet and made his way back towards his friends.

Poor Teryx, having to be saved by his rival as well as always being my primary victim when it comes to horrible situations :D . And poor Sharptooth Flyer. He was only trying to scrape out a living. :( Unfortunately, as mentioned before, Tero has no mercy for sharpteeth and he takes his responsibilities as 'leader' very seriously. And I dunno what species the Flyer is supposed to be. I just made him as generic as possible when it comes to appearance. And I wanted to make him orange! :DD

And see, the relationship between Tero and Teryx isn't all bad; it's just bad 99.9% of the time :p . This is the first occurrence where Tero has helped Teryx in any way, shape, or form, and I guarantee ya, it's not the last time either. They hate each other, but when it comes down to a life-or-death situation, they have each other's back (however reluctant it may or may not be).

Like my other newer pics, I drew this at work and in fact, my other future pics will likely be done without a reference from now on, as I seem to be the most motivated to draw during the boredom that is work :smile ! But yeah, as stated before, I've been postponing it on the coloring stage in favor of my other pics. I do like the concept of the picture and I think it shows an important moment regarding the gang's group dynamics, but picture wise, I'm not too impressed nor can I find a reason to be disappointed in it.

Enjoy!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I misread and thought that Tero was plucking Teryx's feathers while he was unconscious, after saving him from the sharptooth flyer.  :lol

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
*rereads the sentence and mentally replaces the word 'picked' with 'plucked'* :spit  :spit  :spit

Great, now I have it in my mind that Tero could be like, "Yeah, I saved ya, but just to show it wasn't personal, I'mma take your feathers." Thanks for the laugh, DH!