The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mythbusters

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I came across some "Mythbloopers" on the Discovery website earlier today, much of it from earlier seasons. Only one video featured outtakes, the rest were content that didn't make it to the final cut. (I'm guessing it's because, back then, they couldn't put videos online like they do these days) Some notable examples; using mirrors to deflect a security laser around a doorway, and the mini-myth that a sword can decapitate someone with just one swing (one look at the analog they used for this test and it's easy to see why this myth never aired).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's been a while since I had watched anything on the Discovery Channel, so it was only yesterday that I found out the next new episode, celebrating the show's 10th anniversary, will be on in just over a week, on Wednesday, May 1 at 9pm. I honestly can't wait to see it. :D

- Berix

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
10 years? That is quite a long time for any show.  I bet it'll be watched by a lot of the fans.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Since the online TV schedule doesn't go further than a week, it's only now that I've been able to see what exactly the new episode features. First, there will be some "blast from the past" special at 8, then the new episode at 9 will be a revisit of the JATO Rocket Car, the first myth ever tested on this show. The first revisit ended in an epic failure, which I'm sure we're all familiar with by now, so it should be interesting to see what they'll do different this time. :yes

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yesterday's new episode is definitely another of my favorites. This time, they fired off two JATO rocket cars. The first was a across a simple bump in the road as stated in the myth, and the second went off an 11ft high ramp. Easily the best part was watching how spectacularly both cars crashed. :wow  :lol

Next week's new episode features guest appearances from some of the cast of another show on Discovery, Deadliest Catch, and focuses on some myths relevant to what those guys do on that show.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know if they got in enough of The Line Walk Cliche. :P:

In all seriousness, that was awesome!  Definitely a great episode to start off the 10th season.  The end result of both cars was just spectacular. :)

I'll wait patiently for the next one.

See ya later! :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quite some interesting myths in last night's new episode.

If you step in a coil of rope, will it pull you overboard and down all to way to the bottom?
If working for 30 hours straight, will taking 20-minute naps every 6 hours double your ability to do things compared to no sleep at all?
And is one of those crab pots really indestructible?

I liked this episode, mostly because I always like ones that include guest appearances.

Next week's episode will test some public restroom myths, and if it's safe to stand in a doorway during an earthquake.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In public restrooms, I always prefer to use paper towels instead of those blow driers, so it's nice to find out that my choice is by far the cleaner one. I'm also quite surprised that the safest place to be in an earthquake actually depends on which type of building you're in.

Next week, Mythbusters goes to Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That should be fun. :)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Can a person outrun an Indycar in a 30ft long race from a standing start?
Can an Indycar driver really lose up to 10 pounds during a race?
On street races, is the down-force of the Indycars strong enough to suck up a manhole cover?

That was quite an awesome episode, especially because they were allowed to actually drive an Indycar at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Next week is a battle of the sexes. It's the second such episode in the series, so it should be interesting to see what else will be tested.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are men or women better at: Multitasking? Parallel parking? Being willing to ask for directions if lost? And is the phrase "You throw like a girl" really a valid insult? Quite a lot of interesting results in this episode.

Next week, we'll see if it's possible to drive a motorcycle across the surface of a body of water. If I remember an online video correctly, this is a myth that Jamie was quite interested in testing, so I think this could be a good one.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I watched the latest episode, and I have a feeling that some are going to criticize the result of the "asking for directions" myth.  That there is some sort of problem with it.  We'll see though. :)

As for the rest, enjoyable and some very interesting results.  One test only goes to show that some people seriously need their driver's license taken away, because I'm sure they cheated on the test some how. :P:

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
What a very fun job they have getting paid to experiment science and see if things come true. I've seen the show and I like what I see so far.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week's episode was definitely worth watching. To see a professional rider ride a motorbike across the water is one thing, but to see Jaimie do it himself was another. Too bad there's a maximum distance over which this can be done.

The other myth involved making a parachute in just a few hours using only the contents of a hotel room. Quite some interesting designs they each came up with, but 20 floors is still quite a fall.

- Berix

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds interesting, both of them.  Not sure if it's true but I heard that a parachute needs a certain distance to properly open, forgot the distance.  Maybe less with current ones then WW2 types.  And there is also the military low altitude low opening thing, not sure if that is done under that distance or they have special training or equipment to do that.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
The myth on Mythbusters does not make sense. :lol
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Path Light,Jun 8 2013 on  10:30 PM
The myth on Mythbusters does not make sense. :lol
Which myth are you talking about? And what about it doesn't make sense? Could you please elaborate?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
I mean when the car explodes for no reason. :lol
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ That doesn't answer the question. Which myth or episode are you talking about? The MythBusters have blown up a lot of cars, and moreover there's usually some sort of reason behind it. Even in the first viewer's special, in which there was no myth behind the exploding car, they blew it up (A) at the request of a fan and (B) to illustrate the difference between a fiery movie explosion and a real-life explosion.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
I think it's both, I guess. :lol The real-life explosion on cars is very scary! :blink:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, with the Hypermilage Myth, I have to ask something.  There are a few techniques that are, though legal, very dangerous to do, that the question must be asked.

Is it more important to use these techniques to save some gas, then it is to not use them and save your life?

Sure, they can save you gas, but are they worth it?

Finally, the end result of the T-Bone Truck Myth, that was just ugly.

Still, more "Realistic Buster"!!!  We need it!  FOR SCIENCE!!

EDIT: Next week...

More Duct Tape!! :D