The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 84481

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heehee! :p  :lol

Okay well, I got a bunch of new stuff working pretty fast so I might as well just toss it up here for everyone! :D

LBT RPG v0.151

New Stuff:
1) Fullscreen map, showing your location in real-time.  Access the map by pressing the M key.

2) Replaced the mouse cursor with a custom graphic.  This will let us start to change the graphic when the mouse is over different objects, as you'll see in...

3) Added in a very simple "NPC"...a cone.  :lol Soon, we'll be able to interact with it, but for now your cursor changes to an ! when it's over the NPC.

[EDIT] Updated to v0.151 to include the following updates, mostly cosmetic stuff.  Thanks for pushing me to take care of these little things, Mumbling!  :D  The game feels more polished now. :)

4) Made the Start and Back buttons on the Character Select screen a consistant size, no matter the resolution

5) Coded in the use of the "mouse over the start and back button" images on the character select screen.  The buttons now light up with the mouse over them.

6) Set a maximum distance that the player can be away from the NPC *(an interaction range, basically).  If you're further than this distance, your cursor won't change into a !.  If you're within and you put your cursor on the NPC cone, the cursor should become a yellow !.  This technique will later be used to set a maximum distance you can be away from an NPC before you can talk/interact with them.

7) Added the controls to open/close the map into the instructions. :p

8) Fixed the bug where holding down both mouse buttons freezes the camera in place.  For now, if you have both mouse buttons held down, the cursor doesn't move.  I'm still debating what I want to happen when the player does this. :p

Ya might as well just ignore the previous release.  This is exactly the same, but with the new stuff.

Have fun!

Oh, and yes I know you can walk through the NPC.  :lol:  :lol:

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Is it just me, or the cube's movement speed already depends on what character type you chose? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update and I"ll try the game out later today.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Haha, wonderful! I'm having so much fun with this :) And I'm loving the NPC, too.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
wow,  a huge improvement since the last version i had.  The textures seem to be improved, so the grass isn't perfectly green for the whole map. Love the map screen, though i would like to see which direction im pointing when i look at the map, as i had to keep opening my map to see if i was moving in the right direction. I noticed an issue with the NPC. If you go close enough to have the exclamation mark appear when you have the cursor over it, and hold the right mouse button, you can move where ever you want and still have the exclamation mark until you let go of the button. As you can see in this picture, i've moved far away and the exclamation mark is still there.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is it just me, or the cube's movement speed already depends on what character type you chose?
Nope, the speeds are actually all the same. ;)
We actually decided that the dinos would all have the same speed, though some may *eventually* lose more speed on hills / rugged terrain / etc. than others.  None of that is coded in yet though.

Love the map screen, though i would like to see which direction im pointing when i look at the map, as i had to keep opening my map to see if i was moving in the right direction.
I totally agree, I'll see about figuring out how to do this.

I noticed an issue with the NPC. If you go close enough to have the exclamation mark appear when you have the cursor over it, and hold the right mouse button, you can move where ever you want and still have the exclamation mark until you let go of the button. As you can see in this picture, i've moved far away and the exclamation mark is still there.
Right you are.
That's mainly because I wasn't sure what the program should do when you click an NPC yet so I just left it do whatever it did. :p

Eventually, I assume a window with chat text will pop up, the cursor will change to something else and the ! mark will disappear when you right-click an NPC.  Until we get all those features in though, I figured it wasn't worth touching that part of the code yet. :)

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The npc is fun, we should name it :lol

couple glitches though, if ur interested.  I was messing around with walking of the edge of the map (fun  :lol: ) and found that if you walk off the map while under water than it keeps you under water, even if u start jumping back to the main map, letting u kinda fly around.  Also my character keeps walking on top of the water for some reason.

I'm still working at learing the 3D stuff and its coming well, but I incrediably busy right now so it could be a while till im done.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: action9000,Feb 6 2009 on  10:14 PM
Is it just me, or the cube's movement speed already depends on what character type you chose? 
Nope, the speeds are actually all the same. ;)
Hm, okay, I guess it's just my imagination. :huh: Awesomely done anyway. :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, here's the deal with that. :p

I was messing around with walking of the edge of the map (fun ) and found that if you walk off the map while under water than it keeps you under water, even if u start jumping back to the main map, letting u kinda fly around.
Yep, that sounds right. :p
The way the program works it, I check when the player passes through the surface of the water to toggle the "underwater" status on and off.  

The fix to this problem you mention will come once the map is truly complete.  It's true, my program doesn't like working properly if you leave the map, but here's my logic: In the real game when it's closer to complete, the player will never, ever, be leaving a map completely and the world will be designed to be fully explorable.  For now, you can "leave the world" by just walking offf the map.  Later on, there will be no way to "leave the world".  The edge of the land will be at sea level and there will be ground below the ocean.  There will be no logical "end of the world" in the game and things will work properly. :)

Also my character keeps walking on top of the water for some reason.
Ahh yes, okay.  When this is happening, think of your character as swimming on the surface of the water, kind of like this:
http://www.ngsprints.co.uk/images/M/758946.jpg
:p

I really should move the cube down a little bit when this happens so people understand what this is supposed to be. :p  Sorry for the confusion!

The npc is fun, we should name it 
Hmmm...we should! :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
With the short time I played it it does look like an improvement.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
For some reason the link of the latest version of the game does not work for me and not for another fan who contacted me about it either. Is the download link still up to date Tim?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 7 2009 on  05:35 AM
For some reason the link of the latest version of the game does not work for me and not for another fan who contacted me about it either. Is the download link still up to date Tim?
I had that problem before.  I tried again later and it worked ok.  Maybe once a certain amount is downloaded you have to wait for it to open again.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 7 2009 on  01:35 PM
Works fine here

Maybe the server was out for a while.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye, I had tried repeatedly on different days, but must have been exceptionally unlucky. With the other fan's telling me about his having the same problem I thought something might be wrong with the link. I tried again now though and it is working just fine.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I wanna play the new version, but I'm not on my computer. :( I'll get to it once mine's working again.

A new cone character, huh? The cube is already Neil Cubestrong, we need to come up with a name for the new guy.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Feb 12 2009 on  02:37 AM
A new cone character, huh? The cube is already Neil Cubestrong, we need to come up with a name for the new guy.
Indeed. He's the second one around hmm.. Ah I'm bad with names.

What happened to your computer?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 12 2009 on  05:04 AM
Let's call him Buzz Cubedrin :p
He's a cone, so how about Buzz Conedrin, instead?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls