The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 80341

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck to all those with various projects and classes.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay everyone, I'm just letting you know what I'm doing. :)

The only way I found that I could maybe fix the invisible wall problem is by breaking the map into smaller pieces.  This is what I'm trying to do now: convert the one big map into (maybe 4, maybe 16) smaller maps and connect them seamlessly.

The reason for this, if anyone cares, is because the Collision engine I'm using has a limit to how many polygons can be on a single object when checking collision between two objects (usually the player and the map).  With a single texture on the map, I don't go over this limit, but I do when I have more than one texture.  The only fix is to make sure the polygon count of any one object is less than about 250k (250k works, 300k doesn't :p).  The map with 3 textures is about 450k, which would explain the problem. :p

I'll need some time to do this, so bear with me. :p :lol  I have to edit the map, connect the pieces seamlessly and recode a bunch of stuff. :p

Some more good news is, doing this will give us a lot more detail level control and will help improve performance, especially later on. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good idea and that you are on the right track of things.  I'm sure you'll continue to do well.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jan 18 2009 on  01:21 AM
The reason for this, if anyone cares, is because the Collision engine I'm using has a limit to how many polygons can be on a single object when checking collision between two objects (usually the player and the map).  With a single texture on the map, I don't go over this limit, but I do when I have more than one texture.  The only fix is to make sure the polygon count of any one object is less than about 250k (250k works, 300k doesn't :p).  The map with 3 textures is about 450k, which would explain the problem. :p
 :lol

Good luck Tim. Take all the time you need :)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I ran into a few problems:

1.) Can't see character choice.

2.) Stats screen does not show up.

I'm assuming the white cube is a place holder.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
1.) Can't see character choice.

2.) Stats screen does not show up.
The stats screen by pressing C doesn't show up in the release I posted here.  That was a screenshot of the latest version I have on my computer here. I'll release it when I get maps working better.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for your patience, everyone. :)

Turned out that I had to totally rework how we're going to load maps into the game, after a lot of research and messing around with code. :p

Anyway, I am making progress!  My current work plays beautifully fast, rendering fewer than 1/3 of the polygons that it used to, while also destroying the "invisible wall" bug! :D

I'm just playing around with lighting right now.  Here's a neat screenshot I came up with when stumbling across a sort of "evening-style" lighting. :)
Enjoy the teaser, new release coming soon, once I figure out how the lighting actually works and I tweak a few more things.  :lol  :lol
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/act...the-evening.jpg

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Nice! :o

Can't wait for the latest version of it!

I was wondering will you be including various times of day during gameplay? Maybe this was asked, but, anyways, eheh.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was wondering will you be including various times of day during gameplay? Maybe this was asked, but, anyways, eheh.
Absolutely! :D

We'll have a system that cycles through various sky graphics (maybe even animations if we can figure out how!), through a day/evening/sunset/night/sunrise sort of cycle, with the lighting keeping up with the current sky. :)

As for the timing of it, some will be event-based, location-based or real-life time-based.  I don't plan on having the sky match the server's time because depending on when the player could get around to playing, they may only see a certain time of day.  Therefore, I will have the time of day start random and cycle faster than realtime.

We're still working out where the sky graphics will come from.  I have a great program for producing sky graphics.  Mumbling is also very interested in designing some background graphics for us.  Perhaps a combination of both could result in something very cool!

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Quote from: action9000,Feb 5 2009 on  11:34 PM
Absolutely! :D

We'll have a system that cycles through various sky graphics (maybe even animations if we can figure out how!), through a day/evening/sunset/night/sunrise sort of cycle, with the lighting keeping up with the current sky. :)

As for the timing of it, some will be event-based, location-based or real-life time-based.  I don't plan on having the sky match the server's time because depending on when the player could get around to playing, they may only see a certain time of day.  Therefore, I will have the time of day start random and cycle faster than realtime.

We're still working out where the sky graphics will come from.  I have a great program for producing sky graphics.  Mumbling is also very interested in designing some background graphics for us.  Perhaps a combination of both could result in something very cool!
Sounds like great plans! Good luck!

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I suppose you gave me an excuse to release an update now. :p :p

The latest version can be downloaded here!
The Land Before Time RPG, v0.14!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...UMGMzS3BFQlE9PQ
[EDIT] See the next page of posts for version v0.151.  This one is outdated now.

To install:
Just put all the files somewhere on your computer.  Run LBT RPG to play!

Click "Host Game" to play the game.  The controls are in the instructions file, included.

New Stuff in this version:
1) Completely redesigned map system, that actually works now!! :D.  The result is a smaller file size per map, faster load times (though the character select map is still slow to load.  I haven't replaced it yet), better framerates and a fix to the "invisible wall" bug that was a royal pain in the last version. :p :D

2) You can now press the C key to see your character's stats in a popup window.  Press it again to close the window.

3) Increased the view distance back to 16000, basically the entire distance of the map.

4) Changed some map textures and lighting.  I'll get it prettier later but it's good enough for now. :)

5) Added a "Polygons rendered" counter on the top left, so you can see how the program controls the amount of stuff it's drawing, as you're playing the game. It used to be stuck at around 460 000 until this new map system.  You should see it around 150 000 to 200 000 now.  Much faster, needless to say. ;)

6) New graphics, including a new Load screen and new Start and Back buttons, designed by Mumbling. :D

7) Better folder organization. :p

This is kind of a quick release, I meant to do some more before releasing this but meh, I'll have more stuff cleaned up and fixed for next time. :p
Because of this, some things still aren't very polished but...I'm sure you'll find a way to have some fun.  :lol

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
wow, this is pretty impressive.  I don't really know anything about game design but I'd love to help out any way I can on this project

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: raga,Feb 5 2009 on  07:43 PM
wow, this is pretty impressive.  I don't really know anything about game design but I'd love to help out any way I can on this project
Glad you like it so far! :D

Honestly, there isn't much that can really be done by anyone else right now.  Most of the work, especially now, is just programming and 3d modelling.  We already have 2/3 people working on 3d modelling.  If you're interested, for sure we can definitely use another! :D

We also have Mumbling helping me with interface graphics, which is probably the next most useful thing to me right now.  If you're interested in drawing some graphics for the game interface, let me know and I can get ya some details on what we could put in the game in the near future.  Basically, every graphic that you see when you play the game that looks "ugly" can be replaced if you want to send me anything!

Other than that though:
I am the only programmer and I do intend to keep it that way, simply because I'm not a very good programmer and I don't expect anyone else to have to read my code, especially not the 4500 lines' worth I've written so far. :p

Until we get quite a bit later in development, most of the work is just programming.  I'm more than happy to have you on board and feel totally free to post up any ideas or suggestions you may have for the gameplay!  Have fun and go through the topics and posts about the project.  I'm happy to answer any questions and take a listen to any ideas!

Thanks for all the support.  This project is definitely very long-term and I look forawrd to see where we all go with it!

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Don't know much about 3D modeling but I've just downloaded blender and going through some tutorials, I learn this computer stuff pretty fast  :D

So give me some time to get on my feet and I'm sure I can help u there.  Learning about blender has been pretty interesting so far so Im sure it won't take too long  :rolleyes:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Awesome news, let me know whenever you want to take on modelling of some characters for the game! :D

Aaand guess what? Time for a new feature :D

Pressing M will now bring up a full-screen map of the area you're in, as well as show the location of your player in real-time. :)

Now I'm wondering how I could make a minimap. :p

Aaand a quick demonstration:
Game screen:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/action9000/map1.jpg

And the map view of that spot (when pressing the M key in-game):
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/action9000/map2.jpg

Matches up pretty good, I'd say. ;)

I tested it quite a bit and the dot on the map lines up with the player beautifully. :)
Took me half an hour to figure out why it seemed so messed up, thinking I had to do some stupid ratio math and blah blah blah :p
Here I was, trying mirroring the map image, working out different ratios for widescreen and standard resolutions....
 until I finally realized: I had to invert the y-axis :p

Code:  on  
//Invert the Y axis...
playerPositionOnMapY=1-playerPositionOnMapY;

and life was good. :D

..Okay I'll stop with the tech-babble.  :lol I'm just glad it works! :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If you put in a night time, and also in dark places like caves, characters would need 2 color schemes, daytime, and night/dark places.  As seen in some movies and lbt episodes.  I can't do 3d modeling since I've no idea how.  The most I can do I guess is screenshots (no idea how to get them to you) and that is about it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You definitely bring up a good point.

The plan is to use lighting effects to change the colours of the characters in those environments.  In the event that doesn't do the job, we'll look into alternate colour schemes.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Feb 6 2009 on  04:23 AM
6) New graphics, including a new Load screen and new Start and Back buttons, designed by Mumbling. :D
Ugh lol.. That loading screen was just boredom but if you like, sure  :angel  :lol

"Stop" :slap  :lol:

And I'm gonna check this version out after school.