The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Pangaea

Pangaea · 530 · 45593

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Aug 28 2010 on  09:15 PM
Journey Into Blacksun will feature the kids of the gang, instead of the gang of seven themselves.

What is your opinion of this? Do you think that the new characters give oppertunity for more development, or that it is too much of a deviation from the spirit of the Land Before Time?
On one hand, I am sad that the story won't be from the point of view of the LBT characters I know and love, and I do have some fear that it almost won't feel like a LBT story with its cast of characters that are in many ways similar to the original gang, but not the same. On the other hand, you have already pulled off stories and characters that I never expected to be as good as they turned out, and I have read at least one other LBT fanfic (an unfinished story by Almaron) that centered entirely around OCs, with no canon LBT character playing more than a marginal role, and yet still managed to be very good (at least in my opinion). I trust your writing ability to create another great LBT story from this premise. :yes

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Aug 29 2010 on  10:14 PM
How was your trip? :)
It was fantastic. :smile We didn’t have time for nearly all of the things I had hoped to do, but we had a lot of fun. :yes As I know you’ve seen, I gave a brief overview of my trip here; if you want to know anything more specific about my vacation, just ask. :D

The museum visit was especially enjoyable because my brother and I met a guy in the Dinosaurs & Fossils exhibit who saw that we were interested in prehistoric creatures, and spent quite some time conversing with us, showing us several fossil replicas that weren’t displayed in the exhibit, and telling us about the fossils. One of the things we learned from him was that you can tell whether or not a dinosaur had cheeks covering the sides of its jaws, and how far they would have extended, by looking at the neurovascular foramina; small holes around the edges of the mouth that supported blood and nerve passages. He pointed out that an Allosaurus skull had several prominent neurovascular foramina along most of the length of the jaws, so the only fleshy tissue between its jaws would have been at the very back; in short, it had no cheeks. A “Camptosaurus” skull, however (Camptosaurus has recently been found to be the victim of a Brontosaurus-esque mix-up in which the skull of a related dinosaur, Theiophytalia, was mistakenly attributed to it, so most museums and artistic representations of Camptosaurus show it with the wrong head) had very few, if any, foramina along its entire mouth, so it probably had cheeks that began just behind the beak at the front of its jaws. He also gave us a little test to see if we could identify a cast of a certain fossil. It was about a foot and a half long, gently curved, and pointed at one end. He told us that he frequently showed to kids who visited the museum, and that they had variously identified as a claw, a tooth, a rib, a beak, a horn, a spike, and even a tail. My brother and I both recognized it immediately: the claw of a Therizinosaurus cheloniformis. :lol

Our first visit to the Mall of America was just my brother and me (I think our dad came in, too, but he never crossed paths with us). We mostly just wandered around, checking out stores we’d never seen before and eating dinner. The store we spent the longest at was an old favorite of ours, the Rainforest CafÈ, a restaurant decorated to look like a rainforest, with fake vines and plants covering the ceiling, walls, and fake trees and rocks that were everywhere; cylindrical tanks of tropical fish; recordings of rainforest sounds and thunder; lights that would periodically go dark and flash to simulate a storm with lightning; a system of “troughs” (made to look like rock) with water sprinkling into them from above, to create the sound and appearance of rain; and animatronic creatures such as giant butterflies and a crocodile lying in a pool that would growl, lurch forward, and open its jaws (The pool was filled with coins that people had thrown in, and my brother and I performed our tradition of attempting to “feed” donations to the crocodile, :p trying to toss pennies into its mouth. We both succeeded at least once).

On our second MOA trip the next morning, our main stop was Underwater Adventures, an aquarium in the east wing of the Mall, built entirely underground, and FILLED with tanks of aquatic animals, both freshwater and marine. We’ve been to it several times before, and never get tired of it. The highlight of the aquarium is the giant glass tunnel through a series of tanks, one filled with Minnesotan fish (e.g., sturgeon, bass, paddlefish, and the odd duck, the alligator gar, normally found much farther south), another featuring fish of the Amazon River (arapaima, arowana, pacu, various catfish), another coral reef creatures (tang, angelfish, butterflyfish, triggerfish), and an enormous one containing seven different species of sharks, two species of sea turtles, stingrays, sawfish, guitarfish, a shark ray, groupers, and various other kinds of fish (I’m guessing Alex would love this place :smile). Sadly the bamboo sharks and cownose rays that had formerly inhabited the aquarium’s touch tanks (basically an aquatic petting zoo) had “retired”.

The greatest mishap that occurred on the trip was that I forgot to recharge the battery of my digital camera after visiting the museum, so it was almost out of juice even before we were done with Underwater Adventures. Fortunately, I was able to buy another battery at the mall that was about three-quarters charged, which was enough to last me through most of the trip to the Minnesota Zoo.

We reached the Minnesota Zoo sometime after 1:00 (1:15?) in the afternoon, and stayed almost until closing time at 6:00, mainly because of me :p (I spend a long time at zoos, partly because I like to take so many pictures :P:). They had a temporary exhibit featuring animals of the African rainforest, including colobus monkeys, dwarf crocodiles, and red river hogs. I was a little disappointed, though, that the exhibit’s bat caveówhich I had previously read about in a brochureócontained only one species of bat (Eidolon helvum, the straw-colored fruit bat). Not only did I know the species well from the zoo back home, but there were supposed to be at least two others in the exhibit, according to the signs outside the enclosure. Moreover, both of the zoo’s nocturnal exhibits were undergoing (or had already gone) renovation, and the bats that used to be there were gone (It was the same case at the National Zoo when I went there last year <_<). I seem to have abysmal luck when it comes to seeing bats. :rolleyes

Still, the Minnesota Zoo was great. At 3:00 we watched the KAYTEE World of Birds Show, a presentation featuring trained birds that would fly or run out to a handler who would share facts about them. The first bird to be introduced was described as being found around the world, sacred and symbolic in many cultures, and probably the single most important bird in human history………the chicken :p (specifically a red junglefowl). Other avian stars were a sulphur-crested cockatoo, a crowned crane, a red-tailed hawk, a peregrine falcon, a hyacinth macaw, a galah (rose-breasted cockatoo), a bald eagle, a spectacled owl, and a Eurasian eagle owl, plus some random birds that appeared briefly onstage early on in the show, such as a crowd of ducks. :lol After the show was finished, my brother and I walked most of the length of the zoo’s enormous outdoor trail. Towards the end of it we discovered another new exhibit (this one permanent) called “Russia’s Grizzly Coast”, which featured brown bears, Amur leopards, wild boars, sea otters, and other animals of northeastern Asia.

When I get the chance, I'll post some photos. ;)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Far Away Home marathon is getting pretty close, with only two chapters left to go until the reckoning!  With the ending so near, what are you expecting to occur?

I'm interested to hear your predictions or thoughts.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Awww…the end’s that near?! :cry :p

Well, here are the predictions I can think of at the moment:

ï The jungle runners ally themselves with the wingtails, though only with great reluctance and after tremendous adversity.

ï All of the central charactersóSky, Glide, Star, Eybron, and both sides of the gangówill converge at the Eye of the World or on the path to it.

ï We will learn the identity of Eybron’s informant.

ï There will be a large-scale battle between the wingtails and jungle runners and Tyron’s sharpteeth. (I’m not fond of the concept of wars in LBT, but that’s what I’m guessing will happen.)

ï We will at last meet Tyron in the flesh, and in some way or other, there will be a huge surprise or twist involved.

ï The Eye of the World (which we know is a weapon) will have its power demonstrated in a monumental and horrific way.

ï While I’m hoping that Siak will survive the story, I have a sad feeling that she will be killed in the final conflict. :neutral (If that happens, I hope she at least goes down fighting.)

ï At least one individual on one side of the conflict will turn on his or her own side.

ï At least one of the villains will meet his end at the Eye of the World.

ï Chomper will leave the gang after the battle, with Ruby being the last member of the gang to see him, and the only one who knows his true reason for doing so.

ï Thylo befriends Spike and returns to the valley with the gang, becoming Spike’s eventual mate (They say opposites attract, you know :p).

ï Sky and Glide form an uneasy truce, probably with Star’s encouragement.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
We will learn the identity of Eybron’s informant

I was hoping it wasn't too confusing, but at the end of the third Act Eybron's informant was revealed to be Tyrus himself.

Prince Tyrus traded the locations of Sky (which he knew because he had a grudge against him, and held Redgar to follow him) and the Eye of the World (one of his father's secrets) in return for Eybron's assurance that he would kill both Sky and Tyron, allowing Tyrus to become king.

As for all the other predictions... no comment.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Oh. :oops Sorry, I guess I either forgot, or somehow that little detail went over my head.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What is/are your least favorite food(s)?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, this is a surprisingly hard one. :blink: I’ve never been very fond of soup, probably because there’s something about the texture of most cooked vegetables that I really dislike. Ironically, while I love tomato sauce, I don’t care for whole tomatoes, either raw or cooked. I also don’t like meatloaf, mayonnaise, or oatmeal.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To answer that question, allow me to quote an earlier post in which I discussed the subject: :smile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jun 30 2010 on  09:34 PM
I honestly can't choose a specific favorite dinosaur. There are so many that I find interesting, and I can't compare how much I like one versus another. One potential contender, however, is Therizinosaurus (the long-clawed herbivorous theropod I discussed in that earlier post). I've been a fan of this dinosaur since the fifth grade (though my level of interest in dinosaursóand in specific speciesóhas fluctuated considerably since then). I definitely tend to gravitate to the “weirder” dinosaurs, like the buck-toothed Incisivosaurus, long-fingered Epidendrosaurus and four-winged Microraptor “Guido” gui (left and right in this image, respectively), and bristly Tianyulong, but I also have a nostalgic fondness for the “classics”: T. rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and so on (some of which were actually quite weird themselves). Lately I've also been very interested in the horned dinosaurs (ceratopsians), which have recently been discovered to have undergone bizarre developmental changes over the course of their lives, the horns and skull bones actually changing shape as the dinosaur grew. Sauropods (“longnecks”), dromaeosaurs (“raptors”), oviraptorosaurs (the group Ruby belongs to), Dilophosaurus (the crested theropod inaccurately portrayed as a small, frilled venom-spitter in Jurassic Park), Ankylosaurus and its relatives, certain hadrosaurs like Parasaurolophus, and good ol’ egg-stealing Struthiomimus are also up there. And that’s not even going into pterosaurs and other prehistoric creatures that were not dinosaurs themselves.
I might add that if you include birds in your definition of "dinosaur", there are a great many varieties of themóboth living and extinctóthat I like as well. Among prehistoric birds, some of my faves are:

ï Phorusrhacids or terror birds: flightless predatory birds of the Americas.

ï Teratorns: ENORMOUS condor-like birds of prey (The largest, Argentavis, had a 25-foot wingspan :wow).

ï Gastornithiformes: giant flightless birds that were the dominant predators on Earth for a time shortly after the dinosaurs went extinct.

ï Dromornithids or mihirungs: another group of huge flightless birds, including possibly the largest birds to ever live. Surprisingly enough, their closest modern relatives are geese and ducks, which has led to one species, Dromornis stirtoni, being given perhaps the most awesome name ever: the Giant Demon Duck of Doom. :lol

ï The pelagornithids, pseudodontorns, or bony-toothed birds: albatross-like seabirds with bony outgrowths on the insides of their beaks that functioned as teeth. The largest of these birds were about the same size as Pteranodon (~20-foot wingspan), and probably filled a similar niche.

ï Plotopterids: North Pacific swimming seabirds resembling long-necked penguins or flightless cormorants, some of which were as tall as an adult human.

ï Confuciusornithids: ancient birds from the early Cretaceous, with toothless beaks and reduced tails like modern birds, but clawed wings like Archaeopteryx. Males had long, paired, streamer-like tail feathers.

ï Ichthyornithids: toothed gull-like seabirds of the late Cretaceous. I’m sure you’re familiar with one particular individual from a certain LBT movie. ;)

ï Hesperornithids: another group of toothed Cretaceous waterbirds. These, however, were flightless, and were so adapted for swimming that they could not even stand up on land, but had to slide on their bellies like seals.

ï Patagopteryx: a smallish flightless bird from the late Cretaceous of South America, one of the oldest known examples of a secondarily flightless bird (i.e., its ancestors once flew, but later lost that ability).

Among my favorite modern and recent birds are the crows and ravens, the kiwi (and pretty much any other endemic New Zealand bird, living or extinct), owls, woodpeckers, parrots, pigeons, hummingbirds, bowerbirds, lyrebirds, and birds of paradise. I may as well refer you to my list of favorite animals that I recently posted, since there are really too many birds I like to name here. (I hope you’re prepared for some heavy reading. :p)

Thank you for the question. :DD Even though I already answered that one, I enjoyed responding to it. Answering questions makes me happy. :^.^:

inlerah

• Ruby
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, thanks. I really needed a question, even if it was one that had been asked before. :p

My avatar is a Lystrosaurus; not a dinosaur, actually, but a dicynodont, a relative of mammals from before the time of dinosaurs. The first line in my signature mentions what it is. You can also read a more in-depth explanation of my avatar here, and an even more thorough one here in my art thread (which I REALLY need to update :rolleyes).

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Does Sasquatch continue to steal/attack socks :lol?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for the question! :DD

Sasquatch has actually never stolen socks, just attacked them while people's feet are in them. :lol He hasn't been doing it so much lately, except to my mom (We've hypothesized that it's because she has a habit of feeding him scraps of turkey, so he thinks he can get treats out of her if he pesters her enough :rolleyes). It's probably because he's been spending more time outdoors, which has provided him with an outlet for his wildness.

He's developed a couple of other bad habits to make up for it, though. On several occasions, he's caught (and usually killed) voles, shrews, and occasionally small birds (though I suppose it’s technically not a “bad” habit; it's just his nature as a cat). A while ago he also started chasing deer. :wow Two particular deer, at least: a doe and her fawn who periodically visit our yard. I've never witnessed it myself, but on two occasions (August 29th and September 1st), my youngest brother and a think a few of my other family members saw Sasquatch charging across the lawn towards the deer, who retreated. A few days later, while the deer were in the yard, I stepped out on the back porch to watch them, followed by Sasquatch. The deer didn't pay me much heed, but when they saw Sasquatch, they started backing away into the woods. :lol He's becoming a real terror of the outdoors, it seems. We just hope that the deer won't ever retaliate if he continues to try to chase them, and that he won't bother any bucks.

Also, when we leave the butter dish on the table, Sasquatch often jumps up and starts licking the residue that's not covered by the lid. And I just discovered less than an hour ago that he's figured out how to nudge open a cupboard door, so that he can squeeze into the space underneath the sink.

Finally, while it's no fault of Sasquatch's, a couple of weeks ago, my sister found two insects that had fallen off of him that she said were impossible to crush. I recognized them as cat fleas (Ctenocephalides felis). This worried us because we treat Sasquatch with flea and tick medication every month. We were concerned that we either weren't correctly applying the medicine (it goes on the back of his neck and shoulders), he was managing to lick most of it off or otherwise remove it, or it wasn't working, and decided to take him to the vet (He was due for a checkup, anyway). Unfortunately, he got out of the house on the day of the appointment, and we had to reschedule it because we couldn't find him in time. :rolleyes When we did make it to the vet's and discuss the issue, we decided that it was likely that Sasquatch had picked up the fleas outside, and that his fur was just so long and thick that the fleas hadn't had time to make it to his skin (where, presumably, they would have been killed by the medicine) before he brushed them off. So, fortunately, it probably wasn't much to worry about.

Whoa, looks like I overfilled the Answer Cup on that one. :p Guess that's what happens when I go too long without a question. :P:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What is your most memorable/favourite moment in Far Away Home so far?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Probably the eruption of the Black Mountain at the end of Act III.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Have you ever considered changing your name to "Gondwanaland" or "Gondwana"?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
At what age did a first get interested in "The Three Stooges" :lol?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Oct 5 2010 on  08:38 PM
Have you ever considered changing your name to "Gondwanaland" or "Gondwana"?
I have thought of "Gondwana" (I greatly prefer it over "Gondwanaland") as being a good alternative or "spin-off" screen name for me (like for an e-mail account), as it sounds cool, is easier to spell and pronounce than "Pangaea", and relates to Pangaea. When I joined the GOF, I originally thought of calling myself "Panzoa" (the name of the world in which my planned book series is set), but because I was so shy I decided on a similar but more anonymous name. Afterwards I thought about changing it, but I didn't know how, and figured that it wasn't possible (This was all before I made my first post, three months after I actually joined). At this point, my name is so entrenched in the GOF and in the minds of most everyone here that I don't really want to change it; I'd feel strange having a different screen name and all the older posts calling me by a different name.

Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Oct 6 2010 on  10:50 PM
At what age did a first get interested in "The Three Stooges" :lol?
I know I saw my first Stooge episodes (“False Alarms”, “Three Pests In A Mess”, and “Flat Foot Stooges”) in early December during my high school years, and I'm pretty sure it was 2004, when I was sixteen. I'd heard references to them before, and my mother had told me about them, but I had never given them much thought until then. Of course, upon seeing them, I became an instant fan (as did my two brothers), and wanted more. :lol

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As far as I know, they’re not. We all used to be, back in our younger days, but I don’t believe any of my siblings has watched a LBT move since at least 2002 (the most recent installment they’ve seen being The Stone of Cold Fire). I haven’t actually told anyone else in my family about my rediscovered LBT fandom, or about the GOF. The subject of LBT has briefly cropped up in conversation a handful of times, but I’ve always been too shy to mention that I’m into it again now. (It isn't impossible, though, that any of my siblings have watched LBT in private, like I do.)