The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Pinkie: You want the short version or the long version?

Starlight: Uh... short version.

Me: It was a pretty good episode.  Sure, we still haven't forgiven Starlight for what she did and her terrible backstory, but I guess that can be side-stepped for now.  Not the best opener for a season, but still a good one.

Probably for the best that I don't have time for the long version.  I'll talk more about the finer points tomorrow.

See ya later!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Despite a minor audio issue (dialogue would occasionally quiet down, sometimes to the point where I could barely hear it over the background music), I was able to watch these episodes on my new desktop computer just fine.

By the way, don't forget to black out text for spoilers.

(spoilers)
So it looks like Starlight Glimmer (and her new hairstyle) is going to be at least a secondary character. She even makes an appearance in the intro (in the group photo, she's a little to the right between Applejack and Big Mac).

I completely expected the baby alicorn to be very troublesome, but I was surprised that she was powerful enough to actually (albeit unintentionally of course) destroy the crystal heart. Also interesting to note that the absence of that object has immediate effects, forcing Celestia and Luna to take action to hold off the freezing weather.

As for Sunburst, based on his confession, it seems like he is very well studied in magic but rather poor in practice. He was able to quickly figure out exactly what spells were needed to repair the crystal heart (and keep the baby's magic surges in check).

And near the end of the episode, we even get (for the very first time) to hear both of Twilight's parents speak.

(end spoilers)

All in all, a great start to Season 6, and I'm certainly looking forward to all the upcoming episodes.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Pokeplayer, do you have to always post the episode summary together with the links (and also mention what the episode after that will be about sometimes?).

I'd like to contribute to this topic as well, but I also wanna watch the episodes without knowing anything about them before, so...can't really do that when there are summaries in here and things like

Okay, so what's next? Applejack has an old friend return. We'll see how things go there.

for example (and don't worry everone that one is related to the last season ;) )

This is just a request of course, I'm not here to tell you how you have to do it - if you wanna keep it the way up you did it so far, I won't complain, I just won't contribute in here, that's all.

And hey, since I already posted in here, here's my opinion of the episodes, with zero spoilers :D : the start of season 6 was okay to me. Not incredibly amazing or extremely bad, but okay. Had a few moments I liked and a nice story as well. And I'm definitely curious about the rest of the season.
Also, watching MLP on the big screen was awesome. :D

And I really need to catch some Zs now. Being part of the organisation for Brony Meetups is fun, but can also be quite exhausting, especially when you just didn't get enough sleep. :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Sorry buddy, but this is how I do things and you'll just have to get used to it.  I guess I could "spoiler" what's to come and all that.  I think that might be a good compromise.

Anyways, time for my thoughts with spoilers included.

Okay, so with me having time to digest all that happened, I must say that I am quite shocked that the baby is as powerful as she is.  I mean, yeah, she's an alicorn, so I did expect her level of magic to be quite high, but I did not expect it to be powerful enough to break the Crystal Heart.  That was quite a shock to see.

Also, a few things of the lore of My Little Pony was established in the episode.  Mainly that Flurry Heart is the first alicorn to be birthed.  Up to this point, all of the known Princesses earned their wings/horn.  Which means Celestia and Luna were not born as alicorns.  They earned it too.

Oh, and we also find out that the crystaling is basically making someone a full fledged citizen of The Crystal Empire.  It's so important that it can restore the Crystal Heart in case anything happens.

Plus, it looks like Starlight knows about hyperspace.  I mean, where else did that stool, popcorn and lounge chair come from?  Pinkie, please don't teach her about that.  She's powerful enough as is.

Finally, I was pretty much expecting that Sunburst did not live up to the image that Starlight created in her mind.  He knows a lot about magic, but can't do many spells himself.  It doesn't make him unimportant though.  After all, he did end up with an important role in the end.  He knows spells that can help the new parents, and that's going to be a big deal.

So yeah, love it or hate it, there's a lot in this episode that's bound to establish interesting fanfiction.

Anyways, what's next week? Pinkie and Rarity go to Manehatten to get a gift for Maud. We'll see what shenanigans come from that.

See ya later! :wave

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And finally FiM is back. Next week Maud and Manehattan returns.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The great and mighty Lauren Faust has revealed a fact about Scootaloo and Big Jim has confirmed it.

The fandom has long since believed Scootaloo to be an orphan.  She's not!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/03/scoo...lly-orphan.html

I did always think the idea of her being an orphan was bull-crap.  Not that it didn't make any interesting stories, mind you.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Well I'm a bit late on this but here are my thoughts towards the season opener.

For the most part, it was just okay. It wasn't bad but it wasn't really that good either. In the preview I found Flurry Heart to be pretty cute but in the actual episode I thought she was pretty annoying. She ultimately just had no purpose and didn't need to have the season opener be devoted to her. One episode would have worked just fine. Also, the reason for her name is really stupid. So you name your daughter after a (narrowly avoided) disaster that not only did she cause but which also could have ended up destroying the kingdom you're supposed to rule over? Yeah, then Shining and Cadence as well as the rest of the Crystal Empire can always remember the momentous day they nearly lost their homes.

The best parts of the episodes were the parts involving Sunburst and Starlight. It was interesting getting to see them reunite (although again, they could have easily stayed in contact) and their characters played off each other pretty well. The only thing that bugged me was Twilight's incessant OCD and pretty much demanding that Starlight follow every step she wrote to a T. At first Twilight's OCD was sort of cute now it's getting annoying. You can only use a part of a character's personality for comedic effect for so long before it just gets tired.

I do think that Starlight being Twilight's new pupil will make for some pretty interesting stories in future episodes. I just wonder if she'll ever accompany some of the Mane Six whenever they get summoned by the Cutie Map to solve a problem.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Good morning, everyone!  I had some fun yesterday with EQD.  We had Starlight turn evil and the fandom took sides.  I joined the side of "for equality" and help expose the rebels to our cause.  I really enjoyed my time there.  Anyways, on to the episode, which really feels filler.

Summary: Rarity is in Manehatten to oversee the opening of the newest branch of her boutique.  Meanwhile, Pinkie is finding the perfect gift for Maud.  She is having trouble and asks Rarity for help.

Manehatten is one we've been to before and with what we have already established there, I don't see how we can expand upon it.
 I really don't see much happening in this episode, but let's see what they can do.

Get the link for the Live Streams below.

Season 6 Episode 3 - Gift of the Maud Live Stream

Hopefully things go better than last week for the streams.  I'll see ya later for my review and the episode links.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Short version: A very nice episode with plenty of laughs.

Long version with spoilers: So with this one, Rarity is going to Manehatten to pick a place to build her new branch of her boutique business.  For some reason, Pinkie Pie has come along.  Turns out, Maud is there in Manehatten and the two are doing their yearly gift exchange.

Pinkie Pie wants to beat her sister in gift giving because Maud always outdoes her.  Pinkie Pie has the perfect gift in mind, a rock pouch for Maud to carry Boulder in.  Rarity and Pinkie decide to make the shop selling it as part of their site-seeing route as not to draw suspicion.

Shenanigans ensue during the sight-seeing.  Maud even turns out to be good at ice skating.  I wonder who learned from who.

Anyways, they soon make it to the restaurant for lunch on the route and the shop that sells the rock pouch is only a block away.  Pinkie Pie excuses herself and heads over there.  However, the shop is closed due to the shop's owner being on vacation.  Oh, and it seems like being a cop is one of the jobs in Manehatten because one of those appear.

Pinkie Pie returns to the table empty-hoofed.  She secretly tells Rarity what happened, (With an immediately ordered mile-high sundae blocking Maud's view of the break-down Pinkie has.) and Rarity suggests they try to find a new gift for Maud.  They go to the outdoor stalls stores mall of the city. (Yes, that actually exists there.)

Pinkie Pie mentions to Rarity the exact pouch she was hoping to get Maud and it turns out someone who owns one is walking by.  While Rarity distracts Maud with gift suggestions, (Twicane returns during the suggestions.) Pinkie Pie goes to the pony with the pouch.  He agrees to give it to her... if she gives him her party cannon. (No smilies effectively show the shock of that moment.) Long story short, she gives it up and is heartbroken.

The three stop by the park and it's time for gift exchanging.  Maud loves her gift and what she got Pinkie was confetti for her party cannon.  Yeah, now you know the reference to the title.  The three stop by a giant rock so Boulder can play with it.

Maud notices Pinkie playing with her new confetti without her party cannon and asks Rarity what's going on.  Rarity confesses that Pinkie gave up her party cannon to get Maud the rock pouch.  Maud has Pinkie come over and asks if what Rarity said was true.  Pinkie confesses that Maud always beat her in giving great gifts and wanted to outdo her.  Even if it meant giving up her party cannon for it.  In a nice twist to this story, Maud decides to get back Pinkie's party cannon.

They find the swindling pony, who is busy shining up his new cannon.  Maud walks up to him and demands, repeatedly, to be traded back the party cannon for the rock pouch.  Rarity helps in convincing him by saying Maud has "a fire in her eyes" even though it's likely we (and him) can't tell that.  Eventually he gives in and returns the party cannon.

To end the episode off, Rarity shows the new location for the new branch of her boutique.  Maud says that it's the perfect spot.  They had also decided to have Rarity join in on the gift exchanging.  Rarity is just thrilled with the idea.  The episode ends with Pinkie Pie firing off her party cannon, which I forgot to mention she's been doing throughout the episode.

This episode I enjoyed not just for the laughs, but it also showed why so many like Maud.  Not just her dry humor, but the awesome stuff she does for her family.  I may never have the same appeal as others do for her, but I can see why they love her.

An episode worth seeing.  It was an enjoyable time well spent.

Next week, the CMCs return and argue how to embrace their new destiny.  We'll see how that works out.

See ya later for the episode links. :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Here's the link for the episode.  This may or may not be updated when the YouTube one shows up.

Season 6 Episode 3 - The Gift of the Maud - Dailymotion Version

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
I don't think there's really been a lot of moments throughout the show that have Pinkie Pie and Rarity interacting, so it was nice to see this episode focus solely on them, plus Maud.

I have to say, all three of them each had so many funny moments that I just can't simply list them all. Pinkie Pie was acting wildly enough (not just firing her party cannon, though she certainly did that a lot) to make everypony around stop and stare, which did make me assume it was only a matter of time before a cop showed up. Rarity had a wide variety of moments, from struggling to understand "PSSSD", to her "shopping showdown" with Maud, how she at one point acted out Pinkie's usual antics, and how Maud "broke her" into confessing that Pinkie gave up her party cannon. And of course there was Maud Pie, not only her usual total lack of emotion and watching after Boulder, but also revealed to have "Maud sense" similar to what her sister has.

I also liked the lesson of this episode that, as Maud nicely put it, "Gift giving isn't a competition. It's about expressing how much you love someone." That just goes to show why you shouldn't take things too seriously, no matter how good your intentions may be.

(end spoilers)

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Spoiler link!  Proof that a certain item appeared in the episode!

Spoiler Link!
Spoiler Link!

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
For S6E1&2 good with more Starlight and S6E3 back in Manehattan again at last.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Another Saturday, another new episode of pony for us to enjoy!  Three little fillies are the center stage today.

Summary:  The Cutie Mark Crusaders now have their cutie marks, but now what?  How does one embrace such an important destiny?  They don't agree on what to do next.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders have a big responsibility now.  This is a chance to see where we can go from now that they have achieved such a goal.  I don't expect this to be easy, but let's hope the writers don't mess it up.

Here's a list of the Live Streams for today!

Season 6 Epiaode 4 - On Your Marks Live Stream

I'll be doing my review after the episode and give you all the link for watching it online.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST W/ SPOILERS~

It was a good episode, but let's see what I can talk about here.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders now have their cutie marks, but now what?  Sure, there are ponies who need help, but there doesn't seem to be that many in Ponyville.  I did like that Bulk Biceps got some character development.  However, it wasn't much to begin with.  We still know very little about him.  He seems to be someone who is obsessed with weightlifting.  However, now The Cutie Mark Crusaders have given him the idea to help teach others how to lift weights.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.

It also seems like The Cutie Mark Crusaders also have ideas of things they want to try.  They even chose to do stuff alone.  Scootaloo tried bungee jumping.  Sweetie Belle tried crochet. (AKA knitting.) As for Applebloom?  Well, she tried a lot of stuff but found no fun in them because she loves doing stuff with her friends quite a bit.

However, the final act of the story comes when she tries dancing.  She's not good at it, but she found a young colt who is fantastic. (He's a Scootaloo clone.) I mean, it's a wonder why he didn't have a cutie mark in dancing.  Then again, he has stage freight.  It was that fear that he had to overcome to get his cutie mark and The Cutie Mark Crusaders helped him do that.

Oh, and the fandom has shipped him with Applebloom.  Not surprised.  The only problem the fandom is having with that is that we're not sure what his name is.  I'm sure they said it.  We just didn't catch it. (That accent the teacher had when she said his name made it difficult to understand.)

As for the song, it was a rather sad one.  It conveyed the situation very nicely for Applebloom, and it really showed that she loves spending time with her friends, even with stuff she doesn't like doing.  All of the stuff she did, it just didn't feel the same without them.

It's a good episode.  It really is.  It's just not a great one.  It is good and has a good lesson.  I hope we continue to have more good ones along the way for this season.

Next week, Spike gets to be a hero!  Let's hope they do it right.

See ya for the online post! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Just so you all know, I've chosen to drop Dailymotion.  FAR too many ads for my tastes.

Anyways, here's the episode on YouTube.

Season 6 Episode 4 - On Your Marks YouTube Version

It's only 360p, but I'm sure it'll be okay.

Enjoy and I'll see ya all later! :wave

EDIT: Better version posted.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I still prefer to use Dailymotion. The adblocker I use works just fine on that site, and the videos play just fine to me (so long as I use fullscreen mode, but that's tolerable for me). In fact, ever since I upgraded my desktop computer from XP to 7, I've been able to watch videos on that site at a higher quality. Besides, while new episodes may last only a few days on YouTube before they're inevitably taken down, the ones on Dailymotion seem to last indefinitely, so either way, I'm still sticking with Dailymotion. To each their own, I suppose. Anyway, on to this week's new episode.

(spoilers)
Ever since the CMC got their cutie marks, this is the episode that I'm sure everyone was waiting to see: now that they've achieved their ultimate goal, what's next?

Now that they're not doing things to get cutie marks, and with not a lot of ponies in Ponyville in need of cutie mark advice, the Crusaders decided to do things just for fun, but it's obvious that they each have vastly different ideas of activities they want to do. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle accept that their respective ideas of fun won't appeal to their friends, so they agree not to force all three of them to do them all together.

Apple Bloom takes it the wrong way and assumes that with both of her friends going it alone that she must do the same, with no success at all. However, along the way, she did encounter a colt with a cutie mark problem and later, with the help of her friends, helped him out. (For those of you wondering what his name was, I did notice it in the end credits, but I didn't bother pausing the video to find out.)

One note I'd like to point out is that, in the middle of the episode, Apple Bloom had suggested traveling all over Equestria to find ponies with cutie mark problems, but the three fillies quickly agree that it would probably be too much effort for them. I think maybe when they're older and more experienced will they seriously consider that option, but for now, they'll probably just keep things local.

(end spoilers)

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^It's more than just how many ads Dailymotion has.  You see, I mainly made that excuse for those that don't have an adblocker.  I didn't want them to suffer.  The main problem I have with Dailymotion is it's ability to restart a video part-way through it.  This is especially a problem with stuff that's more than 40 minutes long.  For me, for one reason or another, it restarts about every 10 minutes of playing.  Which means I need to get back to the point where this happened.  It sucks hard!

YouTube doesn't have this problem and I don't know why Dailymotion has it.  It really baffles me in the end.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is actually a problem I used to have with Dailymotion just a few months ago, back when my desktop still had XP on it. My solution was to set the quality from "automatic" (or whatever it's called) and leave it constantly at a lower quality (I think the one I used was 360 or something close to that), even though it would be obvious in fullscreen (which I rarely ever did at the time anyway), but I never really minded quality that much. These days, however, ever since my desktop was upgraded to 7, I don't seem to have any serious problems at all, and I can easily watch Dailymotion videos at full screen at the automatically set quality. I guess this goes to show that not everyone may be having the same issues you have.

Oh, and while I'm commenting on this topic, I forgot to mention one detail from yesterday's new episode.
(spoilers)
This was actually the very first episode in the entire series where none of the main six characters made any appearances at all.
(end spoilers)

- Berix