The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

GOF is ad-free

Petrie. · 30 · 2187

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
My new year gift to the GOF. :) :)  If I read the policy correct, we're set for about 30,000 page views before the ads will return.

Enjoy! (though I'm sure there's someone disappointed at not seeing that lovely chick in the bikini)  :!  :!  :oops

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Thank you. Now if we can just get rid of telemarketers and TV commercials...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I use firefox with the adlblock plus addon so don't see adds.  And tv commercials are part of why I quit watching tv.  I only watch what I have on cd, dvd's, since I can avoid most commercials that way.  Commercials are very very annoying.  

Thanks for the ad-free thing, as long as it'll last.  I'm sure many will enjoy it here.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Commercials are exactly the reason why I no longer watch tv as well. It's much better to watch things through the net where they're commercial free.

Thanks for doing away with the ads, Petrie.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
YES! NO MORE ADS! I think a celebration is in order!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
One reason why I stick away from Invisionfree is because they're so greedy.  Instead of just paying $20 or so to have ads permanently removed, you have to pay per click.  It's just ridiculous.  I'm not ungrateful, but honestly 30,000 clicks might last us 5 days here. :rolleyes: Just in responding to this thread, I've used up 4 clicks:  1 clicking on the ad, 1 hitting the "reply" button, 1 submitting this post, and 1 clicking back to the GOF home page.  

You would have been better off buying us a domain name for a year.  It's not that much.  You can get them for as low as $7.99 a year.  I'd personally like to see GOF move away from Invisionfree eventually.  Perhaps one of these days when I get a place of my own and a static IP I'll be able to host GOF myself.  As of now though because I don't have a static IP, I run windows servers, and I don't own my own place, there's no way I would ever entrust any server I could put up to run an active forum such as this.  

At current, Invisionfree is the best forum host, but it still isn't perfect.  I'm just waiting for a better one to come along.  Though by the time I'm actually capable of hosting GOF, there will probably be another one already available. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not ungrateful, but honestly 30,000 clicks might last us 5 days here.
I'm watching the rate at which the clicks are counting and if this keeps up, we'll have a heck of a lot more than 5 days. ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm watching the rate at which the clicks are counting and if this keeps up, we'll have a heck of a lot more than 5 days.

Hmmmm...then maybe they don't count the clicks like I thought they did.  Still ya gotta admit they're being excessively greedy here. <_<

EDIT:  Oh, and I guess I'll have to turn off my auto-refresher for this site so I don't use up all the clicks.  I mean heck, sometimes I leave my computer at GOF for hours on end. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
The rate said .15 per 1,000 clicks.  I didn't think that was too bad for a trial period.  I can do $5.00 without sneezing at the loss.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Great to see those random ebay ads and various others finally taking a break for a while. Much obliged for the contribution Petrie! Forum looks sweeter already ;)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Neato!
Shall be nice to skip those adds for a while!  :wow
Great job!  :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can imagine the adds can be very annoying to see.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's great to not see any ads here, even if only temporarily. After all, some of those ads had so much movement in them that I thought they might slow down someone's computer while that ad is visible. (I think this because I notice my computer gets a little noisy when I scroll down and see those kinds of ads, but when I scroll away from them the computer quiets down again)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assume it would slow down the pulling in web pages since it has to show all those moving adds and such.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Seems that it won't last very long.  We're down to 13,000 ad credits already (from 30,000).  Was worth a try to see how it works.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Seems that it won't last very long. We're down to 13,000 ad credits already (from 30,000). Was worth a try to see how it works.

I'm not surprised.  Maybe it would have been worth it when we were a smaller community, but let's face it....we're too large for 30,000 clicks to seem like much.  The ads don't bother me too much anyways.  It's nice to have them gone, and it might have actually been worth it if the cost would have been around $1 per month, but at this rate you'll be paying them as much as your paying your ISP to have internet per month. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was an interesting experiment.  Though if folks want to not see adds they can use an addon in firefox, not sure if other browsers have ways to block adds.  And some can use 2 browsers if they dislike firefox, using it only to go to certain sites so they won't see adds there.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
kaspersky will block a lot of them (for example, at pogo.com when I do their games), but not the ones that show up here unfortunately.