The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Pangaea

Pangaea · 530 · 45560

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You recently mentioned that among your interests was Alternate History. Even though I don't have much time to read fictional books these days, I know that when I do eventually get the chance, it'll be of the Alternate History genre.

My questions are which Alternate History stories have you read? Which ones are your favorite? Would you like me to tell you about a series of Alternate History books that I would recommend? (even though my only knowledge of them is from their Wikipedia pages, since I can't find the time to read them, as I've already stated)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,May 5 2011 on  08:45 PM
You recently mentioned that among your interests was Alternate History. Even though I don't have much time to read fictional books these days, I know that when I do eventually get the chance, it'll be of the Alternate History genre.

My questions are which Alternate History stories have you read? Which ones are your favorite? Would you like me to tell you about a series of Alternate History books that I would recommend? (even though my only knowledge of them is from their Wikipedia pages, since I can't find the time to read them, as I've already stated)
As far as alternate history goes, I'm mainly interested in speculative evolution, like what life forms might have evolved if [X mass extinction] had not occurred. So far the only alternate history books I can say I've read are Dougal Dixon's The New Dinosaurs (which gives a now rather outdated and corny look at how the dinosaurs might have evolved had they not gone extinct) and the first two or three books in the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson (about the crew of a WWII “destroyer” ship who become marooned on a parallel world where the K-T extinction evidently never occurred).

You can share that list of books if you like, but I'm fine either way. :)

Quote from: Caustizer,May 12 2011 on  08:14 PM
What have you been up to lately?
Not very much. Truthfully, I've been a mess lately (well, a worse mess than usual). Not eating very healthily, sleeping at bizarre hours for erratic periods, losing track of the days and time in general, not getting out enough, forgetting everything, and feeling physically ill when confronted with any task requiring high cognitive effort. :bang

As far as more interesting things I've done recently, I visited the zoo about four weeks ago, volunteered at the aquarium three times since then, made bananas flambÈ, done a very small bit of proofreading, had a couple of minor kitchen catastrophes, been lightly whacked in the head by a three-week-old ham swinging by a rope from a tree…that's about all I can think of.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
planning on seeing any movies this summer?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How is Sasquatch doing?  

Right now, I'm cat-sitting my aunt and uncle's cat; Dave who is eleven.  He's so sweet.  I'll have to post a picture up of him on here.  He has fangs!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry about the delay; familial obligations have kept me off the GOF for the last few days.

Quote from: Nick22,May 12 2011 on  09:29 PM
planning on seeing any movies this summer?
Let's see…definitely Kung Fu Panda 2, Cars 2, and POTC 4; maybe also Cowboys & Aliens and Super 8.

Quote from: Saft,May 13 2011 on  07:31 AM
How is Sasquatch doing?

Right now, I'm cat-sitting my aunt and uncle's cat; Dave who is eleven. He's so sweet. I'll have to post a picture up of him on here. He has fangs!
Sasquatch is doing well. :) He's been spending more time outside now that the snow has melted, and though I didn't see it, he's already caught his first critter of the year: a shrew (according to my brother, who told me about it, the shrew was alive, and uninjured enough that it could be released). I can't tell if he's grown at all recently, but as you pointed out in the “Show us your CRITTERS!” thread, he's huge now compared to when he was a kitten (He'll have passed his second birthday in less than two months). He can easily reach any doorknob in the house when he stands on his hind legs with his paws outstretched (luckily he hasn't learned how to use them…yet :lol). Actually, right now the most recent pictures of him I have posted are nearly a year old. :blink: I really ought to update sometime soon.

Can't wait to see those pictures of yours! :D

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Are you as interested in the GoF awards as you were last year?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay; :oops I really do appreciate getting a new question. Thank you. :)

Interested…I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :confused It took me a while to cast all of my votes, mainly because I'm so indecisive, and have been unusually stressed out recently (probably due to a combination of a severely screwed-up sleep schedule and too many things on my “to do” list, both of which, fortunately, I am making progress on fixing).

On an emotional level, I suppose I don't feel as much excitement about the awards as I did last year, but all of my emotions seem to have been “dimmer” lately (I have no idea why :wacko), so really, I haven't been as excitable as I used to about anything. :neutral

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How was your hike on the Bright Angel trail?  Was it easier, harder, or exactly as you expected it to be :)?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Was it blazing hot when you went hiking?>

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What debt do you think Siak owes Aizon, so much as to make her feel obligated to take care of a bunch of total strangers for him?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Are you ever going to answer this question?  :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Gahhh! I'm so sorry, everyone! Shame on me for making you wait so long! :bang I really do appreciate your questions, and I hope you continue to ask them. It's just hard to answer them (and remember that they're even there) when I have a jillion things to worry about and my mind is everywhere but here. :wacko Sorry again for my forgetfulness.

Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Aug 3 2011 on  11:13 PM
How was your hike on the Bright Angel trail? Was it easier, harder, or exactly as you expected it to be :)?
I guess it wasn't nearly as tough as I'd expected it would be, but I actually think that all three of those options could apply to some extent. Before we actually visited the Grand Canyon, I had imagined that hiking there would involve much steeper and rockier trails than the Bright Angel Trail turned out to be. Shortly before our actual hike, however, I read in a pamphlet that the Bright Angel Trail was the easiest trail for hiking, so as a result I wasn't too surprised that it turned out to be so smooth (both the hike and the trail itself :p). What did come as a surprise to me was how much time it took us to hike a measly one mile down the trail (though my constant stopping to take pictures was probably a big reason for that :oops). We knew that we weren't going to make it all the way down to the canyon floor in one day (that's not recommended for visitors anyway), but we had originally hoped to hike three miles; when it became evident that we weren't going to make it that far before sundown, we cut back our goal to two miles, then one-and-a-half miles, and in the end, we didn't even make that. Returning to "easier than expected" territory, my siblings and I were all surprised that we took the same amount of time (if not less) to hike back up to the rim as we took going down (Again, this was probably because I was taking fewer pictures on the way back). We enjoyed the trip in any event, and maybe another time we'll get to hike further.

Quote from: Petrie85,Aug 3 2011 on  11:59 PM
Was it blazing hot when you went hiking?>
Well, we made a point of starting our hike a little later in the dayóaround 2 or 3 PMóso that the sun wouldn't be at full strength for most of the trip, and conditions would only become cooler as we progressed. Still, it was pretty warm out (though not the kind of sweltering heat that would allow you to make omelets outside without the aid of a fire), and we had used up just about all our water in the numerous bottles we were carrying with us by the time we got back.

Quote from: Caustizer,Aug 4 2011 on  07:09 PM
What debt do you think Siak owes Aizon, so much as to make her feel obligated to take care of a bunch of total strangers for him?
Hmm…One possibility that came to mind is that Aizon was the one who "introduced" Siak to the Jungle Runners (more likely, he recommended that she seek them out and advised her on how to befriend them, considering the runners' attitude toward wingtails) after her mate was killed; I'm guessing she was probably seeking out a new home at that point. Maybe Aizon himself gave Siak sanctuary for a short amount of time before directing her to the Abyssal Jungle.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Gack…sorry for forgetting to respond. :slap

Sasquatch has been doing well, although recently he's been having territorial issues with a neighbor's cat who sometimes visits our yard. Last week the cat appeared at the edge of our lawn; Sasquatch was on the deck and positively raced across the yard to confront it. He stopped just short of the other cat, and the two of them just stood there, backs arched and fur puffed out, for several minutes, gradually crouching down and eventually lying on the ground staring at each other. (This happened at dinnertime, so my family and I were all there to watch, and speculate on what they were doing.) After a while, the neighbor's cat stood up and slowly retreated into the underbrush. Sasquatch continued staring after it for a good few minutes, well after the other cat was out of sight.

A couple of days ago, Sasquatch had another run-in with the neighbor's cat. This time the cat came right up beside our front step. I heard the sounds of an angry cat from inside the house, and came out to find Sasquatch staring down the other cat from atop the step. I didn't want there to be a fight, so I went to pick Sasquatch up, but at that moment, he charged the other cat and chased it around the corner of the house. When I caught up, Sasquatch was standing a few feet away from the other cat in a clearly agitated posture, growling aggressively. I picked him up, and could feel that his ribcage was expanded with air, Sasquatch having literally puffed himself up in order to look bigger (I could feel him deflate as I carried him back into the house). Fortunately for me he didn't struggle or protest much as I interrupted his standoff with the other cat.

Although the neighbor's cat was the intruder on both occasions, so far I haven't seen it display any aggression towards Sasquatch. I'm hoping that it stays that way, and that their future encounters grow to be more amiable. (Cats aren't completely antisocial with their own kind, and I couldn't help but interpret the first meeting as the feline equivalent of two people who don't really like each other having a cautious conversation to get to know one another better.)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have you heard about "Dinosaur Revolution" on the Discovery Channel? If not, here's the discussion topic I started: Dinosaur Revolution

- Berix

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Oct 14 2011 on  10:40 PM
Have you heard about "Dinosaur Revolution" on the Discovery Channel? If not, here's the discussion topic I started: Dinosaur Revolution
Yep, I've heard about it. I think I've taped four episodes of it, but I've only watched the first part of the first one (the Eoraptor segment, to be precise). One of these days I may watch the whole thing, but so far I haven't found the time or interest to do so. (Is that a bad sign, that one of the GOF's biggest dinosaur fanatics is ignoring a dinosaur show? :unsure:) I have been following your thread, however.

Quote from: Petrie85,Oct 15 2011 on  09:12 AM
What is your favorite comfort food?
Uh…root beer, I guess. When I'm stressed or upset, in a situation where other people would say "I need a (alcoholic) drink", it's what I have instead. :p Does that count as comfort food?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Have you given up on Twilight Valley?

I will tell you that it is on hiatus until I can get things straightened out with my writing abilities.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A while ago, you said you were working on a massive post about Ruby. Have you made any progress on it yet? How much longer do you think it will take for you to finish it?

Since I'm here, I'd also like to ask if you've read the latest chapter of my fanfic, which I consider to be even better than the previous one.

- Berix