The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No new episodes this week, but the Equestria Girls shorts are still going, and here's this week's new one featuring Pinkie Pie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV4lVSEXqTc

Spoiler: ShowHide
This time, Pinkie uses the drone for her vlog video at the music festival to talk about five lines that she thinks are worth waiting in: security at the entrance, two hours for nachos, the photo both, a mystery line (which just loops around a tree), and the bathroom.

Only someone like Pinkie Pie could find excitement in something as boring as waiting in line for something. Not to mention her oddly excited reactions to the end of some of those lines. All in all, just another example of Pinkie being weird but funny.

And unfortunately for the main series, it was recently reported that episodes 15 and 16 have also been released early in China. I sadly figured it was only a matter of time, but now it's especially ridiculous that they might see the end of the season (and the series) before the rest of us have even started the second half.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As you may have assumed from my lack of comments over the last few weeks, no new Equestria Girls shorts since the latest one I mentioned. However, this week, we finally have the US premiere of the second of this year's Equestria Girls one-hour specials, Sunset's Backstage Pass:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/07/equestria-girls-sunsets-backstage-pass.html

The girls arrive via RV at the Star Swirl music festival, with Sunset and Pinkie being especially excited to see the reunion performance of Post Crush. After a night of rest, they start day one of the festival, but just about every little thing that can go wrong does go wrong, mostly due to Pinkie getting so easily distracted by other things and ultimately causing them to get banned from the festival grounds before they can even watch Post Crush, and Sunset (after sitting alone on a hilltop and mysteriously swept in some wave of energy) goes to bed frustrated at Pinkie and disappointed.

But when Sunset wakes up, it's day one of the festival again. After mentioning her feeling of deja vu, Twilight tags along with her and Pinkie, and upon seeing Sunset easily predict so much of the day's events, Twilight concludes that Sunset has somehow ended up in a time loop. Despite Sunset's efforts, the day ends the same with her and Pinkie getting kicked out before they could watch Post Crush. Sunset wakes up on day one for the third time, and this time decides to not even bother following Pinkie and focus only on being able to watch Post Crush. Sunset is successful, but upon returning to the RV discovers Pinkie has gone nuts from feeling completely rejected, and the rest of her friends are angry at Sunset for it.

Sunset repeats day one of the festival countless more times to the point where she's able to accurately predict every single minor event that happens. Eventually, she gets the idea to simply "run away from your problems" and decides that night to drive the RV away from the festival. Unfortunately, the RV gets badly damaged in the attempt, and Sunset awakens on day one again. This time, she finally realizes that she should send a message to Princess Twilight in Equestria, and receives a reply detailing a magical artifact called the time twirler that could cause such a time loop.

After Sunset shares this information with her friends, they're shocked to discover the Dazzlings are performing at the festival, and are quick to assume they must be behind the time loop. Pinkie's attempt to get past security fails, but it does provide Sunset with information she uses the next time around to bribe him with a kitten to be allowed through. Sunset searches the Dazzlings' van and ends up confronting them, but discovers they had nothing to do with the time loop. Sunset is disappointed at being unable to find the time twirler, but after some encouragement from Pinkie, she decides to spend the next time around doing what she had always intended from the start, and that was to spend the day having fun with Pinkie.

This time, thanks to Sunset's extensive experience from all the previous loops, practically every little thing that went wrong the first time around now ends up going right, such as winning a tandem bike, happily joining Pinkie on everything she enjoyed, and even calmly ordering churros (rather than Pinkie tackling the cart which got them kicked out). That last one even gives them an opportunity (via a disgruntled employee) to deliver churros to Post Crush themselves. However, when they let slip they were expecting a different guy to make the delivery, Sunset gets suspicious, and just when they try to leave, she tricks them with a respectful handshake to allow her to read their minds, allowing her to discover they are the ones who found the time twirler and have been using it in an effort to eventually achieve a perfectly flawless performance.

Post Crush refuses to stop their efforts, and while Sunset believes the effects of the time loop means she can keep trying to stop them, one of them demonstrates that she can always quickly sketch Sunset's and Pinkie's faces and show them to security at the start of the day to ensure they'll never get another chance, and they promptly order security to kick them out. Knowing they now really do have only one chance to stop the time loops, Sunset and Pinkie make an attempt to break back in, but the security guard simply lets them back in after the inspiring words Sunset gave him earlier. Sunset and Pinkie catch up to Post Crush backstage just moments before they're due to perform, and in the ensuing struggle, all four end up on stage and Sunset destroys the time twirler. Post Crush is devastated they'll never get the perfect performance, but Sunset points out that perfection never mattered and what was really important was simply performing together, as indicated by the still cheering crowd. With that encouragement, Post Crush proceeds with their performance and even allow Sunset and Pinkie to join their show. And of course, after going through the same day for three weeks, Sunset is thrilled to wake up on day two of the festival.

First of all, yes, this special obviously follows the same theme of the movie Groundhog Day, but the concept of time loops is something I often find quite fascinating, so I ended up enjoying this special quite a lot. It was also a nice surprise to see the Dazzlings return, albeit their voices sound a little off, though I suppose that could be excused considering what happened to them when we last saw them way back at the end of Rainbow Rocks. (Also of note, Adagio grumbling about "pathetic humans" at one point might be the very first time the word "human" was ever used in the entire Equestria Girls series.) Not much else I can think of saying here, but I definitely enjoyed this special. (Sadly, with production of Equestria Girls recently ended, it was just confirmed today that this really is the final major installment of the series, despite plans for a more definitive finale. All there is left to see now are the rest of the Season 2 shorts that are coming up.)

Next week will be the start of the second half of Season 9, so if we assume there won't be any weeks off, then that means the season and thus series finale will be on October 19. (But remember what I said about early releases being practically inevitable at this point? Well, believe it or not, this time is more absurd than ever, as China has been releasing these upcoming episodes for so long and so frequently, they'll end up seeing the finale episode just after we've barely even started on the second half of the season. They've already reached ones for which we haven't even seen an official synopsis for. It's absolutely ridiculous, so in a way, I guess I'm kinda glad that this is the final season of the show, as I'd rather not have to put up with this for another year.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:18:38 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still no new Equestria Girls shorts, though I'll be sure to mention them once they show up. Although I mentioned last week that Sunset's Backstage Pass was just confirmed to be the last EG one-hour special, there's still a few shorts left to go before the series is officially ended, though how that series will be concluded remains a mystery.

Anyway, the final mid-season hiatus is over, and now we're on to the last thirteen episodes of Season 9 and the entire series. Here's this week's episode, featuring the return of a special guest character:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-13-last.html

Pinkie Pie receives an invitation from Cheese Sandwich to his factory for various prank and gag items that he had apparently established sometime after his previous appearance. Recognizing that all of her friends have already achieved their "life purpose", she decides to take this opportunity to ask Cheese Sandwich to help figure out her own life purpose. However, when she gets to the factory, despite mild enthusiasm from the emotionally challenged vice president Sans Smirk, the work ethic is slow and boring, and Cheese himself confesses that he has somehow lost the ability to laugh or even smile.

Cheese explains that on his travels he created all kinds of novelty items for his parties, and it turned out there was so much popular demand for them that he decided to start a business of selling these items. With the struggle of running a growing business and staying true to himself, he met Sans Smirk who was happy to assist him and came up with the idea of building a joke factory. Cheese loved the idea, but after a while, the work became so tedious that he eventually became physically incapable of laughing at anything. Pinkie agrees to help Cheese recover his laugh, but every attempt ends in failure, ultimately convincing Cheese to simply give up trying.

Understanding that Cheese's absence of humor means the joke factory can't develop new products and thus doomed to eventually lose business, Sans Smirk begins preparing to shut down the factory. However, after a minor comment from him about how Cheese used to love seeing everyone happy, Pinkie suddenly realizes the real cause of the problem, and convinces Cheese to try entertaining others in person like he used to. When a little mispronounced word causes one of the factory workers to laugh, Cheese Sandwich proceeds through song to get better and eventually manages to get even Sans Smirk to laugh. Now fully recovered and understanding his true life purpose, Cheese Sandwich goes back to being a traveling party planner, leaving Sans Smirk in charge of the factory and promising to write to him any new ideas he'll come up with. With that, Pinkie returns home recognizing she has already been living her life purpose all along: making ponies around her happy.

It was nice to see the return of a popular guest character like Cheese Sandwich. I also was interested in the old concept of how the struggle to maintain a growing business can sometimes cause the founder to lose sight of why they started that business in the first place and as a result lose enthusiasm for the product. Trying to keep your original vision grounded while seeking new opportunities is certainly a good lesson worth having. I would rank this as certainly one of the better episodes of this season.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For Equestria Girls, I should note that, technically, new shorts have been coming out for weeks, but they've been showing up on the Discovery Family app long before they show up on YouTube. At this time, the ones that have not yet appeared on YouTube include one music video and seven "choose your own ending" shorts, the latest of which came out just less than a week ago. I don't understand why there haven't been any additions to the official YouTube channel (especially considering the recently aired one-hour special would normally also be among those videos in six parts), and I hate to think we may have to rely on secondhand recordings to see what could very well be the very last Equestria Girls content.

Anyway, onto this week's episode (which was actually leaked last week, and yes it was indeed a leak and not simply an early release like China did last month), and although this one was probably the most spoiled of all the early releases, I did manage to avoid some of the major details ahead of watching it for the first time today.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-15-246.html

Buckball has now become so popular that even Twilight's school of friendship and Celestia's school for gifted unicorns have their own teams that are now scheduled to compete. Twilight has arranged for the professional Ponyville team (Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Snails) to coach the team ahead of the game, and she calls in Rainbow Dash to coach... the cheerleading team (consisting of Yona, Ocellus, Smolder, and two mares whose names I can't remember). It turns out Snips came up with the idea of a cheerleading team, mostly to satisfy his selfish desire to profit off sports merchandise, and despite Rainbow clearly expressing no interest at all, Twilight insists she's the best pony to coach them.

Almost immediately, Rainbow makes it clear to everyone she knows nothing about cheerleading and has so little interest in it that she practically tells the team to figure things out for themselves, to which they are just as quick to voice their objections. Rainbow does end up following one bit of advice to ask her friends to help out, but all that really does is give them uniforms and props with no directions on what to do. Even after a practice run on the field clearly exposes her absolute lack of effort, she still refuses to show any interest in improving them, and the entire team ends up quitting (Yona and Ocellus in tears, the two mares in disgust, and Smolder in anger that Rainbow failed to live up to her hype of being able to make anything more awesome).

Smolder's words of frustration upon quitting finally makes Rainbow realize how awful she's been, and she finally understands that despite her lack of interest, it was still something that greatly interested the team members and they deserved a fair chance to actually improve themselves. After bringing the team back together and apologizing to them, Rainbow finally starts putting in real effort to improve their performance. When game day arrives, the cheerleading performance becomes so popular that it actually overshadows how the home team barely lost to the team from Celestia's school (with Twilight suspiciously denying she set up Rainbow Dash specifically to learn a valuable friendship lesson the hard way).

I think it's quite clear how this episode portrayed Rainbow Dash in a very negative light, expressing so much disinterest that she outright ignores the team and doesn't even care about their feelings until after they've been hurt. Snips has again displayed a shameless desire to profit off the success of buckball as we saw earlier this season, so that sure didn't do him any favors here. At least Twilight demonstrated that she can be just as much of a troll as Celestia. As much as I enjoy seeing episodes with at least some of the young six students, I have to admit this was a rather poor episode.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Despite another early leak a few days ago, here's this week's new episode:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-16.html

It's time for Ponyville's weekly trivia game, and Twilight has gotten especially obsessed this time because she's now in position to become the first pony to win it three times in a row. Naturally, Twilight has gone all out studying the rule book to the letter and precisely calculating statistics to devise the perfect strategy to ensure she wins (and poor Spike has to put up with it all). But despite preparing for every single remote possibility, she never expected Pinkie Pie to suddenly join the game for the first time ever, and even worse, of all the partners selected in the random draw, she ends up with Pinkie.

At first, Twilight's fears are confirmed when she's about to correctly answer a question, only for Pinkie to get it spectacularly wrong and end up losing a point for them. As the game progresses, Twilight's sanity eventually slips enough that she starts utilizing the rule book to hold back the other teams, and ultimately tricks Pinkie into breaking a rule to get her disqualified, thus allowing Sunburst (whose partner she had earlier got disqualified) to join her in a seemingly ideal chance to win.

But Twilight has already gone so nuts that a minor dispute nearly drives Sunburst to have her disqualified, and although he is quick to apologize for his actions, it makes Twilight finally realize just how awful she had treated Pinkie. Twilight apologizes to Pinkie, and although Pinkie so hurt that she doesn't accept it at first, she eventually forgives Twilight. Finally, with Twilight making use of the rule book yet again, Sunburst is allowed to continue with his old partner, and Twilight and Pinkie are allowed back in with their score reset to zero. The game continues, and although Twilight admits she now has a very remote possibility of winning, she's okay with it as long as she and Pinkie have a good time together.

I'm going to have to call this a rather mediocre episode. Seeing Twilight freaking out almost to the point of "Lesson Zero insanity" is something I would've expected to see in an earlier season. At this point, I'm tempted to assume the writers are simply trying to fill in the final season with ideas they had always wanted to do but never got a chance. Alternatively, you could argue that the characters at this point in the series are so highly developed that any potentially good episodes now end up being seen as more fitting of earlier seasons than the final season. Either way, I'm starting to feel like I'm seeing justification to have this be the final season of the show.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Equestria Girls shorts continue to be released exclusively on the Discovery Family app and not on YouTube. This proved to be quite problematic with the most recent release, which was apparently inaccessible to anyone for a few days. I would really like to know why there haven't been any YouTube releases for nearly two months, because it just doesn't make any sense to me.

No leaks this time thankfully (though it's still among the many episode released early in China a while ago), but either way, here's this week's new episode.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/my-little-pony-season-9-episode-17.html

Grogar is busy trying to find an alternative way to take over Equestria, seemingly still unaware that Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow have his magic bell, but they're unable to figure out how to make it work, and reluctantly agree their best chance at finding answers will be in Canterlot library's restricted section, but they soon discover that the tighter security (as seen earlier this season) will make getting inside much more difficult than expected. Meanwhile, Twilight is remarkably relaxed and efficient with planning the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration (having learned her lessons from certain episodes earlier this season), surprising her friends, the princesses, and even Discord. Especially remarkable because with Celestia and Luna due to retire soon, this will be the final Summer Sun Celebration. However, as Twilight's friends go over their assigned tasks, they are overheard by the evil 3, who decide to use that information to their advantage.

Twilight's friends complete their inspections after finding nothing seriously wrong, but right after they leave, Tirek stealthily steals magic to trick ponies into thinking the food is making them sick, Cozy Glow offers to help the weather manager and intentionally makes things much worse, and Chrysalis disguises herself as a unicorn and convinces the fireworks performers that they deserve to do better things than be simple performers. Twilight's friends are shocked when they discover everything suddenly going very wrong, and (fearing a typical Twilight freak-out) try to solve all the problems themselves without telling Twilight anything is wrong (despite Applejack's protests), but are unable to to achieve any success.

Inevitably, Twilight finds out about everything going wrong, but again surprises everyone by being remarkably calm and assigns new tasks to help everyone resolve all the problems. Meanwhile, the evil 3 were able to take advantage of the chaos to slip though all the security features and enter the library's restricted section, eventually finding a chained-up book with Grogar's bell on the cover. Twilight and friends are able to fix everything just in time for the celebration's iconic moment of raising the sun (achieved with a proper use of the amulet by Twilight), after which Twilight not only officially announces that it would be the last Summer Sun Celebration, but also declares that it shall be renamed the "Festival of the Two Sisters" to honor both Celestia and Luna. Back at the evil lair, even with Grogar claiming to be successful in finding what he needs for them to take over Equestria, the evil 3 still plan to figure out how to use the magic bell themselves, while also noting how the three types of ponies were able to turn against each other so easily in all the chaos they caused.

After the huge disappointments of the last two episodes, this one was a much-needed turn in the right direction. Twilight has finally learned from her past mistakes and used those lessons to take a much more reasonable approach to one day rule Equestria. Kind of amusing that everyone had gotten so used to a panicky Twilight that they never considered that perhaps she really had actually improved herself. At the same time, we got to see more of the evil 3 and their secret plan to betray Grogar, which is sure to make the finale worth waiting for. Also of note, during the moment of the raising of the sun, we heard the Canterlot royal fanfare that I don't think has been heard at all since Season 1 (now there's something to bring the nostalgia). Overall, definitely among the better episodes of this season.

The names of the final episodes of the series were just recently officially announced. The two-part episode will actually be episodes 24 and 25, while episode 26 will be sort of an epilogue episode. Also, looking at the titles and synopsis of all the other upcoming episodes, I get the impression that all of them will provide some sort of closure on certain aspects of the show, meaning that last week's episode could be considered the final slice-of-life episode that had seemingly no significant impact on the course of the series.

- Berix

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
As the last season of My Little Pony was announced, my interest for the series in general has been dwindling since then. It's not that I'm starting to hate it or anything...not in the slightest. It seems that I'm finally moving on from the show, something which I thought was inevitable, but I only questioned when that day or moment will come. And even before that, I would only just watch the new episodes that come out on Saturday, and that's about it. Now, it seems like I have to force myself to watch MLP if I wanted to see a new episode. Of course, there are some season 9 plots that interest me, I may still watch some of my favorite past episodes, and of course I wouldn't miss watching the finale, but overall I'm done with MLP. But if there's one thing that will keep a connection with the show and me, it's the songs. I like them a lot. Many of them range from upright silly to beautiful and well meaningful. The second thing would be the characters. They're pretty iconic in my opinion with their unique personalities, and something I would probably reference and relate to often. So yeah, I guess this is a farewell to the main series. I did hear that a Gen 5 is in the works, but it's highly unlikely that I'll watch it. But we'll see once the time comes.

Funnily enough, while the recent MLP movie is something I have almost no interest in seeing, I would gladly go watch the next Equestria Girls movie as soon as it comes out. I'm actually still curious how the plot would progress there, if there will be more human world and Equestria interactions, how magic is still affecting their everyday lives, etc.

Edit: I did see the movie's (original) intro on YouTube, and I'll say it's much better than the low effort cheap parody of "We Got The Beat". I have no idea why they'd replace the original with something like that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:49:39 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For the Equestria Girls shorts, looks like there's quite an odd release schedule going on lately. Not only are new ones still being released exclusively on the Discovery Family app every Sunday, but now their YouTube channel has just released one that is completely brand new. Does this mean these remaining shorts are being released on separate schedules for the sake of getting them all out there as quickly as possible? I sure hope not, because I still would like to see those other shorts released on YouTube (especially since the "choose your own ending" format on some of them are ideally for YouTube). Anyway, here's the short that was recently released on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ48GI6CuHo

Not really much to say about this one. It's basically a bunch of clips of the girls and others doing various things worthy of internet popularity. (Of note is that one of these clips actually gives us our first look at Fluttershy's bedroom, so now we've finally seen the bedrooms of all the main seven girls at least once throughout the whole series.) Some of these clips also happen to apparently be outtakes from some of the music video shorts from a little while ago. Certainly got a few good laughs out of this one, but what I'm really hoping for is that this could be a sign we might soon get to see those other shorts finally be made available on YouTube.

As for the pony series, I knew it was inevitable that some country would release the final episodes before the US, and earlier this week, it was the Netherlands that ended up with that controversial distinction. In this case, it was actually a leak, as they had intended to release only the first half of Season 9 instead of the whole season, so the episodes from the second half were eventually pulled, but unfortunately the damage has been done and spoilers will be out there (thankfully, I have yet to stumble across any of them, but we'll see if that can last the full two months ahead of the scheduled day of the finale airing). Interestingly, it seems this issue got so much negative attention that not only has Australia pulled their planned early release of these final episodes scheduled for next week, but also China (which has so far already done early releases of up to Episode 21) has also pulled their plans to release the remaining episodes in late September. I guess this show is now so big that just a single foreign leak has seemingly forced all the other countries to hold back until after the US premieres (totally didn't expect that to happen).

Anyway, with all of that big news out of the way, here's this week's new episode.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/08/season-9-episode-18-she-talks-to-angel.html

Fluttershy is having a typical day of getting chores done at her animal sanctuary, but Angel bunny is so desperate for attention that he keeps disrupting her efforts, and when she finally agrees to listen to his demands, it's to selfishly want something she can't give him for legitimate reasons. When Zecora arrives to drop off a small creature she found, she discovers the tension between the two and offers them a solution. Fluttershy insists that doing her chores and teaching at the school are too important to ignore for Angel's attention, and Angel insists that Fluttershy has no idea how difficult it is to live as a bunny, so recognizing their impasse, they agree to try Zecora's solution, which is a potion they must both drink at the same time, though she doesn't explain what exactly it does. When they both drink the potion, they end up swapping bodies.

Upon realizing they've swapped bodies, Angel (who can now talk through Fluttershy's body) wants to just mess around and do whatever he wants, but Fluttershy (now incapable of talking) uses her stare (which remarkably still works even while in Angel's body) to force Angel into getting her chores done at the sanctuary while she goes to Zecora to find out more about the potion. Angel returns to the sanctuary and takes a much more arrogant and lazy approach to all the same chores Fluttershy had done previously, much to the confusion of Dr. Fauna (who believes it's still Fluttershy in that body). Meanwhile, Fluttershy struggles to reach Zecora's hut in her smaller bunny body, and once she finally gets there, all she gets from Zecora is that the potion's effect is reversible only with both of them saying sorry to each other.

Angel's selfishness inevitably leads to chaos in the sanctuary, even forcing him to pay a personal price when he's locked out of the supply room holding what he wants and the keys were lost. Fluttershy returns to the sanctuary, but has become so exhausted from all that running that she passes out. Dr. Fauna knows what will help, but it's in the supply room, so Angel is forced to apologize to all the animals and work with them to recover the keys. Once Fluttershy recovers, she and Angel admit to each other how difficult their lives are and both apologize, which reverses the potion's effects and returns them to their original bodies. Later, while Fluttershy helps Angel be more respectful to the other animals in the sanctuary, Dr. Fauna (who by now finally understands what really happened) tells Zecora to never try using that potion on someone ever again.

In a magical world like Equestria, I'm sure many fans wondered if we would ever see one of those episodes where two characters would swap bodies, and it looks like this one finally delivered on that. It was also quite amusing to hear Angel being able to actually speak, albeit with Fluttershy's voice. I knew his selfish behavior would lead to serious trouble, and good thing Fluttershy's stare forced him to return to the sanctuary, as I can only imagine how much worse he could've made things if he tried interacting with other ponies. What did surprise me was Fluttershy also learned something from the experience, as I figured an animal expert like herself would've already been understanding of how hard life must be like as various kinds of animals. Despite the cringe from Angel fooling around in Fluttershy's body, I'd have call this episode as somewhat good. Not great, but not bad.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rather than spend an entire Saturday evening going over everything, I'll take the time now to go over today's new releases.

First up, the YouTube channel has finally released an Equestria Girls music video that was first seen back in early June (nearly three months ago!) featuring the Dazzlings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYa0Um8EG-c

This is the full version of the song the Dazzlings perform at the Starswirl music festival during the "Sunset's Backstage Pass" special. As explained by the Dazzlings themselves in that special, this song is about how they've been forced to live in human society after losing their magic powers, and as a result find their current experiences to be dull and boring compared to their past lives in Equestria, which they believe they'll never see ever again.

Let's face it, one of the biggest questions fans have been asking about Equestria Girls for a long time is what happened to the Dazzlings after the end of the second movie, Rainbow Rocks. This short is literally the very first time we've ever seen them since that movie. This short (plus what we later saw in Sunset's Backstage Pass) finally puts an end to immense fan speculation by showing that those three have managed to simply continue with their lives after the loss of their magic powers. Certainly not living in comfort by any means, but they are managing to get by on their own.

Also, it turns out there will actually be a third Equestria Girls hour-long special this year, which will apparently be a holiday special. No idea when it'll premiere in the US, but apparently the only reason we know it even exists is that it's scheduled to air later this month in Poland and apparently just aired in Ukraine (so be aware that spoilers will be out there already). My guess is we'll see it perhaps only a week or two after the Season 9 finale in October.

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It's kind of amazing how this nearly decade-old topic is still chugging right along. It's going to be shame to see it be used well frequently, unless you also use to keep tabs on whatever comes next.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Truth be told, this topic these days seems to consist almost entirely of just myself giving updates of the latest official releases. Hardly anybody else has posted their thoughts and reactions like I also do, but it's nice when someone occasionally mentions that they are in fact still paying attention to this topic.

Anyway, it looks like the official YouTube channel has decided to get though their three month backlog by uploading the previously released shorts at a rate of one every two days, so here's the the latest one released today, which happens to be the first of this season's "choose your own ending" shorts, featuring Sunset Shimmer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNMaL0kpS6o

It's the start of a new day at the Starswirl music festival. Everyone is annoyed by Pinkie's bongo drum playing keeping them up all night, which has now left Sunset to sleep in late. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash don't want Sunset to miss out on all the fun activities the festival will have to offer, so they each come up with ideas on how to wake her up.

Choose Applejack: Applejack pulls Sunset out of bed and immediately puts her to work helping her build a firepit where they will cook breakfast. Sunset complains about the hard work, but Applejack insists it'll be worth it. Later, everyone is enjoying a pancake breakfast, with Sunset feeling just as ready as everyone else for the day ahead.

Choose Rainbow Dash: Rainbow Dash pulls Sunset out of bed and to get her active, they do yoga on a hilltop. Sunset is at first glad she isn't forced to do some extreme athletics as she had expected from Rainbow, but soon struggles to get into all the crazy poses and loses interest. Despite this, both Rainbow and Sunset are happy as they watch the sun rise.

Choose Pinkie Pie: Pinkie Pie pulls Sunset out of bed and feeds her a heaping tray full of various sweets (as well as grab another for herself). A few minutes later, they are both super hyper on the resulting sugar rush. A few more minutes later, they are both asleep from the resulting crash.

For this one, I think Applejack was the best choice, because it got Sunset to be just as ready for the day as everyone else, which was the point of pulling her out of bed in the first place. Rainbow Dash was also a good choice, but it comes in a close second only because failing at yoga didn't exactly serve her as well as building that firepit for Applejack. Pinkie Pie was definitely my least preferred choice because she went way overboard with her preferred diet, which clearly didn't agree well with Sunset and ended up putting her right back to sleep (I like to believe that Pinkie has an absurdly high metabolism to explain how she can have such a huge appetite and yet maintain such a slim figure). Also of note, the Starswirl music festival was said to be only two days long, but we saw both mornings in Sunset's Backstage Pass (first at the start of every loop, and the second at the very end of the special), so the only reason I can think of for why a third different morning has occurred is that the festival probably lasts more than just two days.

In other news, now we have to be even more careful of spoilers, because it seems someone actually hacked Hasbro (second time it's happened, first was in late 2017, when among the leaked content was the movie, early Season 8 episodes that were incomplete, and early plans of a G5 series) and released all the remaining episodes of Season 9 (English versions, of course). It's really unbelievable just how much worse these things just keep happening. :bang  Really, the only comfort one can take from this madness is that with the show coming to an end soon, we won't have to worry about this ever again as there simply won't even be any more future content left to leak (expect for the rumored upcoming G5 show and 2021 movie, of course).
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/09/spoiler-alert-episodes-22-26-in-english.html

- Berix

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You know, on second thought I think I'll still watch the rest of Season 9 in it's entirety. I made it this far in MLP, and I've watched every single episode from Seasons 1-8, so I might as well finish it. I will, of course watch the episodes at my own pace when I have any free time or if I feel like it. I'll also leave my thoughts about any particular episode too if I have any time. :)

Wow, I haven't seen anyone make an interactive video like that in a long time, where you get to choose your own path, and it actually came from an Equestria Girls short video.

And yeah, nobody really posts in this thread anymore besides you Chronicler. I noticed how endless the discussion was a few years back.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:20:06 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I just watched all the leaked episodes in Dutch with English subs, and I won’t spoil anything but the finale is pretty awesome. Checked every box I was hoping it would, and I had a long wishlist. Starlight’s final episode (“A Horseshoe-In”) isn’t my favorite Starlight episode (doesn’t really tread new ground and the lesson is simplistic so it has to drag the plot to fill 22 minutes) but it’s good enough. Weird to think we’ll never have another.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:38:34 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Ugh, some thumbnails on YouTube kinda spoiled it for me, but then again I'm not really affected too much by spoilers. I'm still very excited to see the finale though and the epilogue.

...Do I see an active discussion on this thread in the future? ;)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, I watch leaked stuff whenever it comes out. Never seen the point in waiting for official releases, and I’m learning animation so i’m particularly fascinated by any leaks where the episodes aren’t finalized. Some of my favorite sound effects were fillers used in leaked unfinished content from various shows, for example the beta “Crysalis turns the strands of hair into each member of the Mean 6”  sound effect.

I have a lot of things to say but i’m gonna have to wait until all the episodes come out officially, unless everyone in this thread decides they don’t care about spoilers. PM me if you want to know where to watch the episodes early, or go to the “My Little Pony Redacted” subreddit on reddit.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:45:26 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I may end up not watching the leaked episodes before the official releases, not because I think it's unethical, but rather the lack of time. Homework, studying, and school takes up the majority of my day, and I spend most of my free time on the Gang of Five and on YouTube anyway. I, of course will take the initiative to complete all of my assignments as soon as they come to maximize the amount of free time I can have. I will take advantage of any opportunities I can get to watch the remainder of Season 9, plus the finale and epilogue.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If I'm posting content from recent official releases in spoiler tags, then any leaked content should definitely be hidden by spoiler tags. And for the record, I will not be watching any of the leaked episodes, and that's mostly because with all the other things I've got going on lately, I can barely keep up with just one episode per week, so I might as well just stick to the official schedule. Therefore, if I want my initial thoughts on all the remaining episodes to not be affected by spoilers, I would strongly recommend waiting until after the official releases to discuss any of the remaining episodes.

Alright, with that out of the way, first up is the latest Equestria Girls short to come out on YouTube, and it's the next of the "choose your own ending" group of shorts, featuring a certain DJ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJBbV_y7rg

DJ Pon-3 is performing at the Starswirl music festival, and partway through her performance, the "interactive" part of the show comes into play when she calls for someone in the audience to come up on stage to join her.

Choose Sunset Shimmer: Sunset comes up on stage and is pleasantly surprised to be challenged to play an 8-bit video game alongside the remixed 8-bit music being played by the DJ. She loses the first attempt, but then completes the level on the second try.

Choose Fluttershy: Fluttershy is initially nervous about performing on stage, but with a little encouragement from her animal friends, she dances along to the music remixed with animal sounds and even goes as far as howling like a wolf.

Choose Big Mac: Big Mac comes on stage and is handed a banjo, which he plays alongside the remixed country music while occasionally adding in his famous "Eeyup" quote.

For this short, I suppose one's favorites would depend mostly on one's musical preferences, since that's what this short is mostly about. For me, I would definitely say Sunset Shimmer was the best, because I liked the references to classic Mario games, with Sunset's game character being herself with a superpowered form of Daydream Shimmer (which we saw at the end of Friendship Games). I also liked Fluttershy because, let's face it, how could anyone not enjoy seeing her embrace a wild side every once in a while. Big Mac was my least favorite as I'm just not into country music, though I can appreciate it as much as the others.

And now for this week's officially released new episode.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/09/season-9-episode-19-dragon-dropped.html

Rarity is surprised and upset that Spike has been seemingly ignoring her and coming up with excuses (mostly visiting the post office) to not spend time with her like they always do. Frustrated at being unable to get any answers out of Spike, she goes to Twilight for advice, and ultimately becomes convinced that she might've unknowingly and unintentionally done something terrible to Spike, so she arranges to dramatically apologize to him at the one place she knows where he'll be, the post office. While there, she meets Gabby the griffin (who we first met back in Season 6). When Spike arrives, it turns out that not only has Rarity done nothing wrong to him after all, but more significantly, he and Gabby have been spending a lot of time together.

Due to Gabby making frequent postal deliveries between Griffonstone and Ponyville (especially ever since Gallus started attending the School of Friendship), she and Spike got to know each other, became pen pals, and came to realize they have so much in common. With Spike spending more time with Gabby, Rarity tries filling the void left by him by asking her friends to help her out in the ways Spike usually would, but none of them work out well. When one of them suggests she should at least show how much she appreciates him, she decides to go all-out by offering to do activities with Spike that she knows he likes very much (exploring a gem cave, attending a comic convention, playing Ogres & Oubliettes). However, this takes so much of Spike's time away from Gabby that a misunderstanding convinces Gabby that he doesn't want to be with her anymore, leaving both of them very upset.

Rarity is initially pleased to see Spike spending time with her like they used to, but eventually is unable to ignore just how miserable he has been the whole time. Again, she goes to Twilight for advice, who points out that she has been selfishly taking up all of Spike's time and essentially keeping him away from Gabby. Realizing her mistake, Rarity apologizes to both Gabby and Spike and agrees to allow them to spend time together. In the end, even though Spike is now spending a lot of time with Gabby, he still manages to set aside some time to also hang out with Rarity as well, even if it's not quite as much as they used to.

First off, I will say that of all the early released or leaked episodes, this was the only one where I had encountered any significant spoiler, specifically that Spike and Gabby had become very close (but since that was revealed in the first act and I didn't know anything else beyond that, I was still able to enjoy this episode like all the others). Anyway, we all know that Spike has loved being with Rarity since literally the very first episode, and it seems Rarity has gotten so used to that much affection over many years that now that he's met someone who could better relate with him, she couldn't help but feel jealous. It also seems that Rarity continues to be oblivious to Spike's true feelings, where once she expected him to always be around to do things for her, now she failed to recognize how much her actions hurt him and needed to have it directly pointed out to her by Twilight. Although Rarity and Spike ended up remaining on friendly terms, it now seems Spike has become more interested in Gabby (though certainly not to the obsessionist level he once had for Rarity), and if I didn't know this was going to be the last season, I would've loved to see more of that new relationship. Despite Rarity going overboard with her theatrics, I would call this a good episode.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So it looks like these Equestria Girls shorts are now being released on YouTube three times a week on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Here's today's new release, another "choose your own ending" kind, this time featuring Rarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrW_synlAXA

Rarity meets up with Twilight and Applejack to show off one of her latest works of fashion, but when a rainstorm suddenly rolls in, she is devastated as she knows how her new jacket will be totally ruined from getting wet, so Applejack and Twilight offer ideas.

Choose Twilight Sparkle: After taking shelter under a tree, Twilight lists off a few ideas, but admits all she brought along to help are trash bags for cleanup. Rarity is initially frustrated, but then suddenly gets an idea to turn those trash bags into rain ponchos, even adding on a stylistic flair, and it works to protect their regular clothes from the rain.

Choose Applejack: Applejack tries to point out the "silver lining" of rain by demonstrating some uses of mud, such as finding fish bait or rubbing it on her skin. The latter eventually gives Rarity the idea to apply a mud mask. While Rarity naps, Twilight points out that it doesn't solve the fashion emergency at all, but Applejack insists on letting it go as Rarity is happy anyway.

Choose Vignette Valencia: Rarity calls Vignette (last seen in the Rollercoaster of Friendship special) to explain her problem and ask for advice. Vignette remarks that Rarity's rain-soaked hair is a trend-setter before hanging up. Rarity reluctantly takes a selfie, which then encourages other people to post soaked-hair selfies. Rarity is pleased by how well things turned out for her, at least until the rain lets up and a gust of wind further ruins her hair.

For this one, I think Twilight is definitely by far the best choice, because she was the only one to actually offer a practical solution for Rarity's fashion emergency, and even better that it worked out quite well. Applejack didn't really offer a good solution, but at least she managed to make Rarity happy (at least for the moment). Vignette also wasn't that good either, and I'd call it my least favorite mostly because it seemed like she just didn't really care at all about Rarity's issues.

- Berix

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Is there any news on whether EG is gonna get canned along with Gen4?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^According to the studios announcements on Twitter a few months back, production on Equestria Girls finished at around the same time as FiM did, suggesting that "Sunset's Backstage Pass" is the final hour-long special (though there's apparently a holiday special that has already aired in certain countries and will probably show in the US at some yet to be announced time later this year), even though there were already plans for a proper Season 2 finale special and even a Season 3 of shorts for next year. Believe me, there's plenty of fans who were upset to learn that Equestria Girls would apparently not get a proper finale like FiM is due to have (or already had, for those who watch the leaks).

Anyway, time for the next Equestria Girls short released on YouTube, and this "choose your own ending" short features a lost puppy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZhUN88RR88

Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Spike are checking out the various food stands (weirded out by items like a "lasagna pop") when they encounter a lost fluffy puppy who's covered in mud.

Choose Rarity: The puppy starts chasing after Rarity, who desperately runs away to avoid getting covered in the mud it's been rolling around in. After a chase across the festival grounds (passing by several locations seen in the "Sunset's Backstage Pass" special), Rarity eventually stumbles into the tent used by Post-Crush (the band featured in the aforementioned special), where band member Su-Z is thrilled to find her lost puppy. She thanks Rarity by giving her one of her accessories, which a star-struck Rarity is pleased to receive.

Choose Fluttershy: Fluttershy uses her magical geode powers to simply ask the lost puppy where it came from. Upon getting the answer, she brings the puppy over to Su-Z, who is trilled to find said puppy. With the issue resolved so quickly, Spike decides they should just get back to checking out the food stands again.

Choose Spike: The puppy walks over to Spike, who awkwardly can't figure out how to respond, leading the girls to assume he's got a crush on that puppy. Spike and that puppy spend some time doing various puppy activities together, but are just about to start eating when Su-Z arrives and thanks Spike and girls for finding her puppy. Su-Z and her puppy leave, but not before the puppy thanks Spike with a lick.

This one thankfully has all three ending with the same result of Su-Z finding her lost puppy, so it's really a matter of how it was achieved. I would consider Rarity the best option, because it was the only one to keep in mind how filthy that puppy had gotten, was also the only one to take the time to point out that Su-Z is part of Post-Crush, and was also the only one where she identified her puppy by name (I can't remember what it was). Fluttershy was also a good one as she simply took the most practical solution they had. Spike was also a fine choice, but I'd consider it my least favorite as he spent most of that time having fun with that puppy rather than actually trying to find that puppy's owner.

- Berix